Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got used to the little engine in the UP! now.
It flies along now it's run in and if I change down before the hills it flies up them as well, I have just changed my driving habits to suit a small 3 pot motor.

One thing that does stop me is when I drive up the hills behind another car and it stops for whatever reason.
The UP! is now on a hill start halfway up which is fine in 1st but the change to 2nd seems to labour the engine and if it's steep it's never going in 3rd.
I think there should be a closer ratio between 1st & 2nd to make up for the lack of torque.
You have 2 choices:

1 - Up the revs to something silly before changing to 2nd.

2 - Staying in first until you reach the top with a long queue behind you.

I still think the UP! is a great little car and this is the price we pay for having a small engine.

What we need is a little turbo for these situations ..... perhaps the GTI will be along soon and let's hope it's not too pricey.
Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
705 Posts
Living on the edge of the Fens, I've wondered what hills were like!

Nick

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Collas said:
Living on the edge of the Fens, I've wondered what hills were like!

Nick
You're lucky Nick to be living on a life sized scalextric.

Here in the Cotswolds we have plenty of hills which can make the little UP! a bit breathless.

Derek

·
Registered
705 Posts
I went back "home" to Shropshire last month. There are some hills there, particularly on either side of the Long Mynd plateau. The road up from Asterton to the Midland Gliding Club is particularly steep but pretty much straight. The drop down into Church Stretton down the Burway is a real test of the brakes. And there some much steeper roads in the area.

Nick

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could try towing a glider up to the Midland Gliding Club with the UP! and report back !

Derek

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nick,

Does being a moderator on the forum "take up" (excuse the pun) much of your time.

DerekEdited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
705 Posts
It does depend on how busy the forum is. I have quite a number of sites I keep an eye on, though I'm a moderator on just two more sites - BritMovie.co.uk andwildlife-sound.org. BritMovie has around 5,000 members so there are a team of mods, whereas the Wildlife Sound Recording Society's site is much, much smaller.

Nick

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
They are annoying aren't they, those slow coaches who crawl up hills. I suspect they have not worked out how to use their gears. What we need is a powerful horn, so that when we get behind them, we can give them such a loud blast it scares the beejaysus out of them, and gets them moving.

I must admit I rarely get intimidated by drivers behind, perhaps because this little car can nip along at a good old rate of knots, if you are prepared to rev the engine. (I red lined it once when overtaking, oops, cough cough, poor little thing.)

·
Registered
583 Posts
You should try the Eco up on CNG - even less power and less torque than the 75PS .
And running on gas means the power just doesn't come on as it does on petrol.

The solution ?
Rev it when it needs it, it'll cope.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts