Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealership I work at had a brand new Up GTI delivered today, I managed to grab the keys to it and had a look around, no changes at all and unfortunately VW still sticking with the Goodyear efficient slips!

·
Registered
64 Posts
The dealership I work at had a brand new Up GTI delivered today, I managed to grab the keys to it and had a look around, no changes at all and unfortunately VW still sticking with the Goodyear efficient slips!
Are the VW badges different now?

·
Banned
645 Posts
According to both Autocar and What Car magazine, the reason for the significant price increase, is the levy of the fine imposed on car manufacturers, for not meeting the stricter emissions legislation.

Vw have to cough up close to £1800 for every Up Gti they build, and this unfortunately has been passed on to the customer.
Anyway, the new list price is a bit irrelevant, as customers are still able to get new main dealer delivered cars for well under list price.

CarWow gave me a quote of just over £15k for a Pure White 3dr, not quite the bargain of before, but still its a saving.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think they’ll only be able to sell them at decent discounts - selfishly I’d rather they struggled to sell many more as I like the rarity factor.

I wonder what the lead time is now.

·
Banned
645 Posts
That rarity factor, will continue, as i just cannot see Vw selling the Gti in larger numbers than the 2018-19 model.
By what i can remember, back in March or April of last year, there had only been around 2100 or so Up Gtis registered for the Uk market.
Now with the significant price increase, the car is no longer the keenly priced much in demand warm citycar.

Just this afternoon, driving past Deganwy Key entrance, to the Conwy mariana, and hotel complex, a 19 plate Rolls Royce Phantom Drophead in Metallic Black was pulling out, into the traffic.
Last week, in Gannock Park, the Millionaires Row of Llandudno, the owner of the 17plate Ferrari GTo was driving the car towards the town.

Both cars are seriously rare, and you simply do not see many of them, outside London or Cheshire.
The Up Gti is even rarer still, with only one sighting since last August.

It will always remain a rare production model, and even with WBACs interest in mine, its staying put, even if it gets little use.

Come the spring and summer, i already have two long journey's pencilled in for it.

Its been many years since ive owned such a car, that no offer of money would persuade me to sell it.

Its got too much character and pure enjoyment behind the wheel, and thats rare in most cars of today

·
Banned
645 Posts
If i was contemplating a new vehicle, and had not taken delivery of my GTi last March, then i recon the car would still be on my wish list of chosen transport.
Apart from the lousy performance from my Move Up, i simply cannot fault the great fuel economy, and excellent build quality of both cars.

The Up is an aging model in the Vw range, but it still looks fresh and classy, and still sells well, so its no wonder Vw continue to offer it for sale.

If nobody bought one, then the model would have been dropped, but its still the class leader in the city car range.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That rarity factor, will continue, as i just cannot see Vw selling the Gti in larger numbers than the 2018-19 model.
By what i can remember, back in March or April of last year, there had only been around 2100 or so Up Gtis registered for the Uk market.
Now with the significant price increase, the car is no longer the keenly priced much in demand warm citycar.

Just this afternoon, driving past Deganwy Key entrance, to the Conwy mariana, and hotel complex, a 19 plate Rolls Royce Phantom Drophead in Metallic Black was pulling out, into the traffic.
Last week, in Gannock Park, the Millionaires Row of Llandudno, the owner of the 17plate Ferrari GTo was driving the car towards the town.

Both cars are seriously rare, and you simply do not see many of them, outside London or Cheshire.
The Up Gti is even rarer still, with only one sighting since last August.

It will always remain a rare production model, and even with WBACs interest in mine, its staying put, even if it gets little use.

Come the spring and summer, i already have two long journey's pencilled in for it.

Its been many years since ive owned such a car, that no offer of money would persuade me to sell it.

Its got too much character and pure enjoyment behind the wheel, and thats rare in most cars of today
Ha ha, yes! My "stable" includes a Silver Seraph and an Up Gti and much as I enjoy the Roller, the Gti is the one I want to jump into. Up there in the smile factor with an Elise I once had, but far more practical. Just pulled in from Bristol-Falmouth, outside lane all the way, 51mpg. That childish pleasure in watching the image of the Audi/Beemer etc in the rear view mirror up my backside, once the road clears, suddenly reduce in size..... Corners? They don't exist. Mind you I get similar pleasure from my 1932 13bhp 750cc Austin 7 Box Saloon. Keeping something with no brakes worth talking about and the dynamic ability of a Silver Cross pram on the road at 45mph is far more challenging. Once clocked a GPS 55mph downhill with strong tail wind. A terrifying experiment I'll never repeat again. Other "stable" cars? An Austin 1800 Landcrab, wildly underrated and a Rover P6 V8, great cruiser.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Llandudno boy still being quoted months after he has gone! The legend lives on! Wouldn't surprise me if he is still lurking in here. Talking of legends, where has @plancast gone? Anybody?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
What happened to Llandudnoboy he loved his GTi, did he sell it?

Reading the post above, about different cars, l've had all sorts of cars over the years including Ferrari, Porsche, Lotus....and a 1932 Standard Little Nine
The Up GTi is a great car and has character, sadly missing in most new cars.
We've currently got a new Suzuki Jimny which is another car with character, that you have to actually drive, it's great fun despite being in no way a performance vehicle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts