Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sat with the engine on earlier and needed to get the A/C compressor kicked in for a bit of cooler air so I blipped the throttle a few times.

Then, as you do, I blipped it some more, egged on by my 6yo son who is developing an appreciation for fruity engine notes.

I started to notice something weird. It felt as if the engine was being constrained as the revs rose, something I confirmed by mashing the pedal to the floor; sure enough, the drive-by-wire throttle calls a halt to proceedings at about 4,000rpm.

Nice and safe for preventing doddery OAPs burning out engines and clutches I suppose, but I wonder also if it also enables full-throttle standing starts, a kind of 'launch control lite'?

Couldn't do it with family in the car, but will try soon enough ;)

Who would've thought, eh?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Haha I tried launch control in my old Golf infront of my friends, it was a dsg and I had sport mode selected, left foot brake right foot good acceleration and then let off the brake and the engine stalled and I rather pooped my pants thinking I broke the engine haha

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi juux. It may be that VW have put a rev limiter on the engine until it has warmed up. I work at Toyota Manufacturing in Derby and I remember when we used to fit the 1.8 Yamaha engine to the Corolla T-Sport. It used to limit the revs to 6000rpm until it got upto running temperature, then let you rev to the full 9000rpm. This was to stop damage being caused to the engine due to over revving. I wonder if this is the case for the 1.0 litre Up! engine? I'll have to dig the manual out later and have a look.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The engine was well warmed, having just done about 30 miles, so it's probably just a soft limit in neutral, enabled by the lack of a traditional throttle.

Probably many modern cars have such a system but I've never seen one implemented like this.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Itzben said:
Haha I tried launch control in my old Golf infront of my friends, it was a dsg and I had sport mode selected, left foot brake right foot good acceleration and then let off the brake and the engine stalled and I rather pooped my pants thinking I broke the engine haha

My old Touran would surely do this; it seemed to be programmed to stall violently rather than labour even slightly, and would do so with little provocation. A bit annoying as the engine (140ps 2.0 TDI) was surely tractable enough to pull away in 2nd once rolling but no, the ECU called a halt to that plan if you tried it.

Thankfully the Up isn't so compromised and its engine is impressively flexible, being happy to potter about at just over 1,000rpm in most situations if you ask it. Perhaps it won't bog down and/or shudder to a halt.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Many VAG cars do this to prevent engine damage both my Leon's an FR TDi and FR TSi had this feature.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
jezyg said:
Many VAG cars do this to prevent engine damage both my Leon's an FR TDi and FR TSi had this feature. 
Which did you prefer? The tdi or the tsi

·
Registered
532 Posts
my bmw has a strange habit of stalling on one turn. The corner is very slow and up hill so the diff will be working on overload. Too slow and bang, engine stops.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Itzben said:
jezyg said:
Which did you prefer? The tdi or the tsi

TSi by a long way. It was the 211 lump from the Golf GTi, the front end was much lighter and the car seemed more nimble than the TDi. For the performance fuel economy was not that bad with 35mpg around town and 40-42 on a longer run. Also the TSi had stronger brakes although slightly over servoed IMO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts