Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a great run over to the North Yorkshire coast yesterday,
but I did travel through some heavy showers on the way back.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

On opening the boot I noticed water on the boot floor lip
and dirty water stains down the paintwork.

It looks as though it is coming from around the fuel filler
area and with it being dirty it must have come from the wheel arch.

Pictures have been emailed to the dealer so I will await
their response.

I once had a brand new Rover 416 (company car not personal
choice) and its first journey was to Edinburgh and back in the pouring rain. On
my return to Leeds the passenger foot well had filled with water! I needed a
mop and bucket to get all the water out!

·
Registered
18 Posts
It may be coming in from the rear glass boot lid. We have a peugeot 107 courtesy car at the mo {our other car is in getting repaired after clipping the side of a multi storey car park on the way down} the other day after a lot of rain my jacket was soakin after heavy rain. It was coming in from the boot lid!!!!!

Just a thought!!!!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Maybe completely nothing to do with this or not, but has anyone else noticed the dirty mark that is made due to the petrol filler recess? I would guess water sits there and as you drive along the water comes out and goes towards the back of the car, leaving a dirty water mark.

·
Registered
619 Posts
bugbabe34 said:
Maybe completely nothing to do with this or not, but has anyone else noticed the dirty mark that is made due to the petrol filler recess? I would guess water sits there and as you drive along the water comes out and goes towards the back of the car, leaving a dirty water mark.

Yes, I get this too on my car and also similar marks running down the bodywork under the door mirrors and door handles. My car is white though and you see every spec of dirt that's on the car (it also rains a lot in my area).

Incidentally, those with cars will know that the rear hatch gets verydirty- I've tried RainX (£7 Halfords) on it thinking this product would help keep the dirt and water off. Unfortunately, it does not seem to help much, unless the rain/spray is very light. I will keep applying it after I wash the car but I'm not confidentthings will improve.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bugbabe34 said:
Funny you should say that, as I have noticed this dirty water mark on my up! which is quite annoying.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tbrown2805 said:
It may be coming in from the rear glass boot lid. We have a peugeot 107 courtesy car at the mo {our other car is in getting repaired after clipping the side of a multi storey car park on the way down} the other day after a lot of rain my jacket was soakin after heavy rain. It was coming in from the boot lid!!!!!

Just a thought!!!!
I dont think its the rear tailgate, as I have removed the access flap shown in the pictures and the staining carries on towards the filler cap area. I thinkthis iswhere the water ingress is coming from.

Dealer called this morning and the car is booked in (although due to other commitments not for a couple of weeks) for a few days so they can investigate.

Will update once complete.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
idletony said:
bugbabe34 said:
Funny you should say that, as I have noticed this dirty water mark on my up! which is quite annoying.

It is VERY annoying. In the beginning I thought it was me, overfilling with petrol (although I was sure I hadn't). So I've kept an eye on it every since and its definitely water that must be sitting in the recess. Very poor design

·
Registered
86 Posts
How's it going at the garage? I had a leak in the offside back window still not sorted a week later it's still in the garage..
The car I've got in the mean time is a 5door move up its not too bad no leaks so far, hope it's all sorted!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bekahb said:
How's it going at the garage? I had a leak in the offside back window still not sorted a week later it's still in the garage..
The car I've got in the mean time is a 5door move up its not too bad no leaks so far, hope it's all sorted!!
Its not booked in until the 28th of this month, so I cannot update you regarding the leak. I have not travelled through any really bad weather recently so it not a problem at the moment, but I have not wiped away the stains so they can see where its coming from (looks like filler cap area)

·
Registered
235 Posts
RainX won't keep the tailgate clear as it relies on air passing over the surface of the glass to blow the water away. Unfortunately you have the opposite situation on the tailgate - the negative pressure sucks spray (and dirt) onto it.

I doubt if there's much you can do.

·
Registered
705 Posts
But it will encourage the water to flow down more quickly than not having it there in the first place.

Nick

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah don't wipe away the marks that's a good idea, well hope it's sorted soon

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I put rainex on mine, and it seems to do a good job for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts