Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I've been browsing the forum for the past couple of months and have finally joined up! (No pun intended, honest
)

My question is based on the fact that I'm going to start learning to drive in the next few months and was wondering if the up would be a good car to do that in... It would probably be a second car for us and as such we don't need a massive car.

I though the best choice would be the Move up! with a spare wheel and Maps & More as I'd probably need things like a rev counter that there isn't in the Take up!

We're also considering the Polo for the fifth seatbelt but the fresh look of the up! as well as the cheaper insurance and lower running costs could well swing us in the direction of the up!

I know the up is possibly a little basic to some people but the idea of starting off with just the basics does seem attractive to me...

Does anyone else have any suggestions or views? I know that there's already a lot of threads on whether the Maps & More is any use but any ideas on it's use for a learner would be most welcome. I've seen reviewsespeciallyfor learners such as at http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/young-drivers/learner-road-tests/learning-to-drive-in-a-volkswagen-up">Honest Johnbut they don't mention much about the add-ons.

Edit: Forgot to add... 3 door or 5 door?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by: skyhigh

·
Registered
176 Posts
If I was in your situation I would certainly go for the 60PS up! if only from an insurance and tax point of view.

It'll be a good car to learn in, already seeing a few locally as instructor cars.

You have to ask yourself how often would you have 5 in a car. Virtually never is the probable answer unless you've a big family.

I think going for the Move up! with the options you've stated is absolutely correct in your circumstances. It's far from a basic car and I would definitely go for the 5 door in view of the small cost over the 3 door.

If you're carrying passengers regularly, (and even if you're not) the fact that the front seats of the 3 door have no "memory" will drive you nuts.

Go for it, you wont regret your decision.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Up is my first car so I was sort of in a similar situation. There is nothing to worry about, it should do great, just as Honest John says. Few practical details:
- rev counter, while nice to have, is not so important, you'll hear the engine anyway
- rear parking sensors are useful (... or your driving instructor can act as a replacement, just try
)
- electric side mirrors also are useful while getting familiar with some maneuvers (move them downwards to check where are your rear wheels exactly)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just a heads up my take up has a rev counter fitted as standard.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Mulo said:
You don't need no rev counter, just listen. I usually tape mine over.
Why would you put tape on your rev counter??

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2020mad said:
Just a heads up my take up has a rev counter fitted as standard.
That's interesting. I'm sure the price guide states the rev counter as additional on the move up over the take up...

·
Registered
142 Posts
mine was built 2 months ago with rev counter in and new stlye dash markings.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for your replies! You've all helped a lot with the choices.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with maps & more on a day to day basis? I know there are other threads on this but some people say that it's no use and others say it's a must have. Is it any better than a cheapo one off eBay?

Thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
It depends: if you just want navigation, it's not the best device out there (for example, my mobile phone has better and bigger screen, better maps and faster lock to satellites). However, overall it's nicely integrated with the car - will warn you when you're speeding, indicate which door you forgot to close, distance for each parking sensor, allow you to use your mobile phone hands-free, plays music from SD card, and so on...

·
Registered
176 Posts
skyhigh said:
Thanks everyone for your replies! You've all helped a lot with the choices.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with maps & more on a day to day basis? I know there are other threads on this but some people say that it's no use and others say it's a must have. Is it any better than a cheapo one off eBay?

Thanks

Yep, use mine every day. The best thing about it is the integration with the car. Personally I think the satnav is good, but is just shaded by my previous TomTom app on the iphone.

Love the bluetooth connection with my phone. Never had any problems with it, really excellent, and solves at a stroke any temptation to pick up your mobile while driving.

Use the Maps n More to control radio, now thanks to another thread have all the station logos appear when I select the stations on the unit.
I maintain all my music on my pc rather than itunes. When I first got the Maps n More I bought a 32gb micro sd card and transferred all my music onto that. Again thanks to another thread looks better because all the single in the playlists have the original album covers. I know some people on here have had some problems using the bluetooth connection to play music directly from their phones but that is something I have had no experience of.

The "In Car Info" covers just about all the things you'd want on a day to day basis from mpg to tank range and the "Think Blue Trainer" is just a bit of fun and is interesting to try and better the mpg you are currently getting.

At first I was removing it every time I parked the car but do this less and less now to the point where if I leave the car for the day I take it off, otherwise it stays there. Personally for the cost involved I think it's an absolute must and wouldn't be without it.

I'm pretty sure there is nothing comparable on ebay that does all that the VW unit does.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I use my M & M every day, integrated phone connection is essential if you ever use a phone in the car, car mpg information is also very good

I do not know where I would be without it

·
Registered
587 Posts
Take up has a rev counter as standard.

As for Map & More is a very useful device, means you have handsfree for you mobile to keep you the right side of the law, trip computer and the media player is much better sound quality wise than the standard radio and CD. I have only used the Sat Nav once but seems decent enough. Use the media player and trip computer everyday a very worthy option and adds £300 to the value of the car the same amount you pay for it!

·
Registered
128 Posts
You won't need maps and more while you are learning as itmay distract you from the road ahead.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AGE1950 said:
You won't need maps and more while you are learning as itmay distract you from the road ahead.
That is a good point, although I'd wish to keep the car for at least 6 years if possible, so I guess it's probably worth it. I can always remove it while I'm learning I guess.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts