Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the steering wheel cover etc is real leather or synthetic? Edited by: Rednaxela

·
Registered
94 Posts
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure!
All the brochures say leather so it should be - I didn't choose the 'leather look' seats so I can't compare what they mean by real leather to fake leather.

All I know is it doesn't feel like any genuine leather steering wheel I've gripped in the past!

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've got the (fake) leather interior in my up! but I'll have a closer look at it tomorrow to see if the steering wheel is fake as well (which I don't think it is). By the way the fake leather is absolutely fabulous, I actually hate admitting to people who see it that it's not real. Usually I get the "NO WAY..!!" reply when I tell them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was pondering the fake leather seats for a long time before placing my order.
The reasons I didn`t go for it were that the `stripes` were unique to the black and white editions whereas leather look is available in othertrimsand that thestripes add a bit of lightness to an otherwise black interior.
I have seen the leather look at the dealership and must agree that without knowing, I would have assumed it were real!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Even Mercedes are at it, Artico Leather is infact fake leather.....bloody good fake but fake nonetheless. Up white steering wheel IS real cow!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The spec says "split grain leather"
looking on wikipedia it says;

Split leather is leather created from the fibrous part of the hide left once the top-grain of the rawhide has been separated from the hide. During the splitting operation, the top grain and drop split are separated. The drop split can be further split (thickness allowing) into a middle split and a flesh split. In very thick hides, the middle split can be separated into multiple layers until the thickness prevents further splitting. Split leather then has an artificial layer applied to the surface of the split and is embossed with a leather grain (bycast leather). Splits are also used to create suede. The strongest suedes are usually made from grain splits (that have the grain completely removed) or from the flesh split that has been shaved to the correct thickness. Suede is "fuzzy" on both sides. Manufacturers use a variety of techniques to make suede from full-grain. A reversed suede is a grained leather that has been designed into the leather article with the grain facing away from the visible surface. It is not considered to be a true form of suede.<SUP id=cite_ref-2 ="reference">[3]</SUP>

<SUP></SUP>

<SUP>So I guess is is real leather, but the artificial top layer makes it seem fake?? </SUP>
Edited by: Rednaxela

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a bit more...

<H1 id=firsting =firsting>Bicast leather</H1>
<DIV id=>
<DIV dir=ltr id=mw--text lang=en =mw--ltr>

Bicast leather (also known as bycast leather, split leather or PU. leather) is a split leather with a layer of polyurethane applied to the surface and then embossed. Bycast was originally made for the shoe industry for glossy shoes, and recently was adopted by the furniture industry. The resulting product has an artificially consistent texture that is easier to clean and maintain.
<H2>Production and Features</H2>

The use of terms like "leather", "genuine leather" or "100% leather" in relation to this bicast treatment is considered a misrepresentation and therefore not permitted in some countries, e.g., New Zealand.<SUP id=cite_ref-0 =reference>[1]</SUP> Furniture made with bicast exhibits none of the characteristics associated with aniline leather; it will not develop a patina or suppleness nor otherwise "improve with age". With constant use the polyurethane layer may crack and split free of its backing.<SUP id=cite_ref-1 =reference>[2]</SUP><SUP id=cite_ref-2 =reference>[3]</SUP>

Modern technology permits up to three or four horizontal layers being taken from a single hide. The leather used in the backing of bicast is a thin layer, remaining after other layers have been removed for traditional leather work.<SUP style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap" =Template-Fact>[citation needed]</SUP>

Furniture manufacturers<SUP id=cite_ref-3 =reference>[4]</SUP> say that the main benefit of bicast leather is its price. Lower grades of leather can be used during the manufacturing process, and treating with polyurethane gives a uniform shine and a long-lasting "like new" appearance. Bicast leather looks best, they say, on furniture with taut seat cushions and pillows. It can easily be cleaned with a damp cloth. New bicast leather furniture can have a slight chemical smell, but this typically dissipates about a week after the piece is exposed to air

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hope you're not going to use that tiny typeface all the time....some of us are getting on a bit you know

Pass me the magnifying glass

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whassup said:
Hope you're not going to use that tiny typeface all the time....some of us are getting on a bit you know

Pass me the magnifying glass
hehe, it looked bigger before I clicked post.. Hopefully it is right now..

·
Registered
423 Posts
Looking good again. Actually I can read type that small after years as a journalist dealing with 5pt Ruby

1 - 10 of 10 Posts