Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the £180 for the Leather steering wheel, gear knob and handbrake good value on a move up?

Could someone who has used both the plastic and leather comment on the difference? Is it that much nicer or is the base plastic good enough quality to not be concerned?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I personally thought the plastic was horrible but not sure leather is worth the £180. That said if you can afford it it is something you'll use every time you drive.

I also thought the leather steering wheel in the top spec citygo was nicer than the one in the up as it seemed chunkier.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Leather is nicer to use day to day and as you let the wheel turn back through your hands after a turn the plastic does feel rough. Id say leather but only you can decide if its worth the extra.

·
Registered
33 Posts
In my opinion yes it's worth it. It looks good with the shiny plastic inlays, especially if you have the black gloss dash. The handbrake and gear stick add a nice bit of quality in leather too. But I agree with a previous message, the steering wheel does feel a little slim. I'd prefer a slightly chunkier wheel. Does anybody know if the little silver metal detailing on the gear stick is only on the leather ones or does it appear on all Ups? I love the little touches like that, it's almost out of sight but when you see it it reminds you of the quality you've got in such a little car!

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
the way to make anything feel great is to pay attention to the interface between driver and vehicle, so yes, leather is worth it, also things like the tinted rear glass and M&M , chrome strips, parking sensors etc probably are not as 'worth it' imho

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've got the 'pleather' (at least I always thought it was pleather) on my wheel and gear knob and I like it much more than the plastic on the move up. Drove one whilst my high up was in the dealership (long story) and just couldn't get used to it. Made the wheel feel smaller although it was probably only smaller by a negligible amount.

Entirely down to preference.

I also agree with Matteboy. I've got the shiny plastic dash as well and it compliments the leather quite nicely.

Edited by: Fidel_Castronaut

·
Registered
540 Posts
My Alfa had leather split grain and it felt like leather. I just concluded the UP was pleather as it doesn't 'feel' like leather at all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The pleather seats and the steering wheel feel very different to each other. I'm pretty sure the steering wheel is certainly split grain and not leather look.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Leather wheel is leather, leather 'look' seats are plastic. Before I'd even sat in an Up that had them, the dealer himself advised me against them! One quick squeaky sit-down later I was in agreement.

Shame VW couldn't offer proper leather as an option though...not sure I would paid for it but better than taking cash off people for these things.

Wheel is much better though.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I took the Red Salsa seats because they look so cool 1950ish ...

But on a move up! I would have taken the leatherette!!!
My first Polo 1982 had leatherette seats (company car). I liked these seats very much. Easy to clean and they look cool. Not best during hot summer or cold winter, but I would have chosen them!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Love mine... Just a shame it isn't an option on the e-up :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts