Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi has anyone considered fitting LED H4 headlamps. I see multiple threads on Amazon etc that they may have issues with Canbus incompatibility and flicker, but before I buy a set and slot them in I was wondering if anyone had tried it for themselves.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Someone may correct me on this, but I think that there would be an issue with the design of the headlight and the way that it reflects the light from the bulb.

·
Registered
320 Posts
i've got some in my Mii, and well they are way better than nightbreaker lasers, super clean cut off, so far a month in no one has flashed me thinking i had full beam on, and they take a while to get used to, as most are used to the yellow from halogens.

here's the ones i've got they also allow you to twist them to get them set up properly to accommodate the reflector.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Novsight...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

·
Super Moderator
1,496 Posts
Hmm.
Pretty certain these are illegal in reflector light units (as the up has).

They will definitely fail an mot.
They bulbs will fail an MOT, but then you can just swap them out for halogen bulbs at MOT time.

Correctly designed LED bulbs have the chips in the same location as the filament would be on a halogen bulb, so the beam pattern remains the same.

I have them on my current car, no issue with beam pattern or dazzling, like HID bulbs can do.

·
Registered
320 Posts
They probably will but police and VOSA officers don't seem to have issues as I haven't been pulled over with them, but when I've got the MOT next week I'll be putting the nightbreakers back in, just So I don't fail.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Some cheap Chinese led lights which are essentially an array of led diodes in random pattern, may cause the light to go in directions that wouldn't be the case with a regular bulb. Proper companies like Philips or Osram design them as H4 replacement, whereby light dispersion is controlled in a manner that resembles normal bulb. These are perfectly fine as the light patters is identical, only are brighter and the colour temp is higher. The latter two shouldn't be a problem, as new cars have LEDs from factory, but it's the legal requirement for led lights to have auto leveling, which with retrofit it does not. That aside they are quality items, safe and bright.

E.g.
http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/#/topics/8495

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The standard lights seem pretty good to me l’m not sure why you’d want to throw money at LED versions.
They do it over on the Land Rover forums, stuffing LED headlamps on Defenders at a cost of £3-500
I find the standard Land Rover ones fine unless involved in road rallying and would rather put my £500 towards a holiday in Greece.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The standard lights seem pretty good to me l’m not sure why you’d want to throw money at LED versions.
They do it over on the Land Rover forums, stuffing LED headlamps on Defenders at a cost of £3-500
I find the standard Land Rover ones fine unless involved in road rallying and would rather put my £500 towards a holiday in Greece.

I,llpick you from the airport and a free tour in Athens.
Dont have too many luggage ,we all know the gti space.:smile_big:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I supplemented my Landrover's headlights with a pair of 9" spotlights :grin:
I find the Up!s headlights perfectly adequate as standard.

·
Registered
320 Posts
After my MOT tomorrow, and i throw the LEDs back in i'll have to get a picture of the beam pattern, as to be fair i was expecting them, to be crap and then just returning them.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think that if you drive in town is fine, as the roads are well lit so you don't rely solely on your headlights. It's only when you are on woodland roads with low traffic in the night, then you really appreciate the extra brightness of high beam.

Other reason is just colour - factory standard long life bulbs that are yellowish so look funny in contrast with led DRL's, and sometimes aesthetics are important to people, although whiter bulbs do the trick too:
http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/#/topics/8495

Decent (i.e. Philips, Osram, PIA) LEDs cost 6x as much as set of uprated bulbs, but then you don't need to replace them really.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I consider some LEDs as I drivd to work through tha dales and in winter it is pitch black; although as long as I knew that they were legal with the right patterns.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Right pattern? Yes, if you buy reputable brand, see here for some OEM/branded/unbranded comparison
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/...h4-headlight-bulb-review.html#/topics/1210410
Particularly:
See the photo

It's not like Xenon lights because they retain H4-like specifications when it comes to light dispersion

Legal? No, as they don't have homologation mainly for auto leveling.

Safe? Sure, even safer at total dark.

Blinding other drivers? No different than bulbs if working/adjusted correctly.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Right pattern? Yes, if you buy reputable brand, see here for some OEM/branded/unbranded comparison
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/...h4-headlight-bulb-review.html#/topics/1210410
Particularly:
See the photo

It's not like Xenon lights because they retain H4-like specifications when it comes to light dispersion

Legal? No, as they don't have homologation mainly for auto leveling.

Safe? Sure, even safer at total dark.

Blinding other drivers? No different than bulbs if working/adjusted correctly.
Cheers for the info.

·
Super Moderator
1,496 Posts
...but it's the legal requirement for led lights to have auto leveling, which with retrofit it does not.
This bit isn't entirely accurate.

If you have a car with factory fir HID/LED bulbs and there is a self-levelling system fitted, it MUST be operational. If the car does not have factory fitted self-levelling, there is no requirement for it.

My imported Toyota Crown has factory HID lamps, but no washer or self-levelling. Passes an MOT just fine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've just bought the Phillips X-Treme Ultinon LED bulbs for my car.:cool:

Wont know what they are like until the GTI actually arrives but only hear good things about them!

They are pricey but for me the look of them next to the standard DRL will justify the cost, let alone the clear crisp, proper beam pattern & bright output.
Coming from my current S3 with LED factory lights, i just couldn't bear to have the Halogens in there! :mad:

https://www.philips.co.in/c-p/12953BWX2/x-treme-ultinon-led-headlight-bulb

Reactions: Kostas.GRti

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've just bought the Phillips X-Treme Ultinon LED bulbs for my car./forum/images/smilies/cool.gif

Wont know what they are like until the GTI actually arrives but only hear good things about them!

They are pricey but for me the look of them next to the standard DRL will justify the cost, let alone the clear crisp, proper beam pattern & bright output.
Coming from my current S3 with LED factory lights, i just couldn't bear to have the Halogens in there! /forum/images/smilies/mad.gif

https://www.philips.co.in/c-p/12953BWX2/x-treme-ultinon-led-headlight-bulb
Look like quality items, how much are they?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I paid £140 for them.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts