Up Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
...but it's the legal requirement for led lights to have auto leveling, which with retrofit it does not.
This bit isn't entirely accurate.

If you have a car with factory fir HID/LED bulbs and there is a self-levelling system fitted, it MUST be operational. If the car does not have factory fitted self-levelling, there is no requirement for it.
For sure there will be some difference between HIDs and LEDs does, but I think it would be imperative to get to the bottom of this - I've tried to get to the source but not sure where to start. I would imagine it's based on EU regulations, or directive transposed into UK law, but reading articles about led retrofits and how illegal these are never actually mentions any legislative piece - does anyone know? Not sure what's the main motor law in UK?

·
Super Moderator
1,496 Posts
For sure there will be some difference between HIDs and LEDs does, but I think it would be imperative to get to the bottom of this - I've tried to get to the source but not sure where to start. I would imagine it's based on EU regulations, or directive transposed into UK law, but reading articles about led retrofits and how illegal these are never actually mentions any legislative piece - does anyone know? Not sure what's the main motor law in UK?
The part regarding self-levelling is from the MOT Regulations.

MOT Regulations said:
4.1.5 Levelling devices
Make sure any manual headlamp levelling devices (driver controls) work by:

switching on the dipped beam headlamps
operating the manual levelling device
checking that the headlamp beams move up and down
returning the levelling device control to its original position
Vehicles with high intensity discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with a suspension or headlamp self-levelling system. If these systems have been fitted, they must work.
https://www.mot-testing.service.gov...ors-and-electrical-equipment.html#section_4.1

·
Registered
122 Posts
Do you just take out the original bulbs and replace with these LED ones or do you also have to fit a conversion box and additional wires etc?
Not fitted yet but the bulbs fit the standard housings, rubber seal goes back on then the heatsinks. Each bulb has a seperate driver box which is plugged into the original light socket then the box to the new bulb. All very neat and superb quality by looks of things.

·
Registered
320 Posts
not the greatest beam pattern but better than what people say about LEDs in reflector housing, and these are just cheap £20 chinese specials.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
not the greatest beam pattern but better than what people say about LEDs in reflector housing, and these are just cheap £20 chinese specials.
Prime example of why LED retrofits have a bad reputation - this is how your "not the greatest beam pattern" dazzle oncoming traffic, just look at the angular artifacts above the cut off "line", especially that massive "arrow" in the middle! The bleeding light shines extensively where it's not supposed to, see how the light overlaps.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Prime example of why LED retrofits have a bad reputation - this is how your "not the greatest beam pattern" dazzle oncoming traffic, just look at the angular artifacts above the cut off "line", especially that massive "arrow" in the middle! The bleeding light shines extensively where it's not supposed to, see how the light overlaps.
I believe this is where the Phillips units come into their own, as they have a clear beam cut off.

·
Registered
320 Posts

I believe this is where the Phillips units come into their own, as they have a clear beam cut off.
I mean yeah the Phillips are good and I did eye them up but as something I bought and expected to be utterly terrible the ones I've got are performing much better than expected, like when osram launched a bunch of LED lights I was hoping for a H4, but for now these ones are fine for me and still I have not been flashes by another driver, and when I can I'll definitely give the Phillips bulbs a go.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've just bought the Phillips X-Treme Ultinon LED bulbs for my car.:cool:

Wont know what they are like until the GTI actually arrives but only hear good things about them!

They are pricey but for me the look of them next to the standard DRL will justify the cost, let alone the clear crisp, proper beam pattern & bright output.
Coming from my current S3 with LED factory lights, i just couldn't bear to have the Halogens in there! :mad:

https://www.philips.co.in/c-p/12953BWX2/x-treme-ultinon-led-headlight-bulb

ΗΙ.I.m thinking of PHILLIPS LED ULTINON H4 12V ,15W,6200K they are not as pricey as the xtreme ultinon and they cost about 80e (50 pounts?)less.
What do you think?Thanks. https://www.philips.co.in/c-p/11342ULX2/ultinon-led-headlight-bulb

·
Registered
122 Posts
Reactions: Kostas.GRti

·
Registered
30 Posts
I spoke with an electric teccnician from the store that have them here.He told me that there is a very small
possibility having an issue with the canbus ,as they have seen that to other vw,s.He needs to see the car so next week, when i have time ,i,ll visit them.I wont risk it in any way with the leds .In the worst senario i will just rerplace the bulbs with halogen Phillips diamond vision or Phillips racing vision.They cost 15-25e and as i saw on videos they light very bright and white so we dont have this terrible contrast with the drls.
In any case i,ll let you know.Thanks again.

·
Registered
233 Posts
ΗΙ.I.m thinking of PHILLIPS LED ULTINON H4 12V ,15W,6200K they are not as pricey as the xtreme ultinon and they cost about 80e (50 pounts?)less.
What do you think?Thanks. https://www.philips.co.in/c-p/11342ULX2/ultinon-led-headlight-bulb
I had looked at them as well and as you say can be found for just south of £100. Would be interested to hear feedback on them, as will be another month or so until I can fit mine.
The ones linked are older model. They are 6000k, not 6200k as you stated. They are also the lesser model, the others mentioned in this thread are newer and more powerful xtremeUltinon and not just regular ultinon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Today i changed the bulbs with the Phillips diamond vision halogen .Lifetime about 400 houres. They have a perfect white color with a tone of blue and they mach perfect with the drls but they lack of brightness in the deep night.

I dont drive a lot at nihgt so for me is not a problem and of course is a temporary solution while searching for the best and safest led headlights.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Are the headlights really that bad, or is it change for change sake?

·
Registered
169 Posts
If it's 2018, we should be driving non-fossil fuelled cars ;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Are the headlights really that bad, or is it change for change sake?

No they are not bad in terms of safety or visibility byt they are too yellow ,the drls are too white and we live at 2018.
Here is my comparison between OEM bulb and Osram cool Blue Intense in contrasts to DRL LEDs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
21 - 40 of 65 Posts