Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Earlier today, I was thinking about how much we used to enjoy a day at Oulton Park, watching the British Touring Cars, Formula 3's, British GT's, Porsche Carrera Cup, Clio Cup, VW Cup etc, not to mention having enjoyed a few track days there, and with this being our local circuit, how I'm so looking forward to being able to visit again, no matter how minor the event.

Then I had an even better thought. Whenever the major events are on (Read Formula 3, BTCC etc.), quite often there will be a dedicated parking area for members of a certain club who have arranged a meet there, e.g. Fiat 500 Abarth's, Ford ST, Renault RS etc. For those who haven't visited this particular venue before, the picturesque track is quite open plan, which also makes for a great family day out as the paddock and pits are fully open for viewing by spectators and it's a great way for like-minded enthusiasts to meet and chat amongst themselves, and of course for the enthusiasts to show their pride and joy to the admiring public, as numbers of the same type of car all line up, gleaming in the Great British sunshine ! - What also often happens is that there's a slot within the day's schedule where those cars enjoy a parade lap of the circuit, all in convoy behind the pace car / safety car.

So, as if you couldn't see where I'm going with this, once lockdown's over, what better way to celebrate than to grace Britain's most picturesque motor racing circuit with a parade of VW Up! GTI's during a major event ...

Now, after a cursory glance at the race calendar, I can see that the major events are quite limited in number this year, and also quite late in the year.

BTCC is Sat 31st July / Sun 1st August, and British GT & F3 is Sat 11th / Sun 12th September. Obviously, these dates may be subject to change.

So guys, before I get to work on the enquiries, how about a show of hands to gauge interest ...

Can all those who are potentially interested please indicate which of the two dates / events they would prefer, if any. Please bear in mind that at this stage I've no idea what the cost would be, although I'm sure it wouldn't be anything extortionate, and we would need a decent number to make it viable, say a minimum of around 12 ?

Again, for those who haven't been to Oulton Park before, all parking is on grass, and after parking up, just about all of the complete circuit is open access to wonder around and you can get really close to the action. Picnics & BBQ's most welcome !

The only entry qualification required would be your arrival in a VW Up! GTI ! - And of course, girlfriends/wives, family, kids, friends etc. most welcome, although for safety, MSV rules stipulate no dogs or drones allowed.

For those travelling from further afield, the site offers full camping (and caravanning) facilities, and there are plenty of nice country pubs and local B&B's within the rural Cheshire location.

Names Please ! 馃槑

EDIT: List so far ...

Jacara +1
Sean66
rhardaker

Registered
I really like Oulton Park, great track and location.
I've driven it a few times. A couple stick in my mind. One with an instructor sat next to me in a Golf GTI. Got a little carried away and his dead pan comment was "that's what we call in the trade, big balls, small brain" :) Another was quickest on the day in an M3.
Sorry I can't commit to either date. But, as above, for anyone else I can really recommend Oulton Park

Registered
I really like Oulton Park, great track and location.
I've driven it a few times. A couple stick in my mind. One with an instructor sat next to me in a Golf GTI. Got a little carried away and his dead pan comment was "that's what we call in the trade, big balls, small brain" :) Another was quickest on the day in an M3.
Sorry I can't commit to either date. But, as above, for anyone else I can really recommend Oulton Park
Yes it鈥檚 a great circuit !
Never forget my little moment that ended in cascades gravel trap with a broken wrist, broken ankle and a broken 2 moth old Yamaha R1 lol!

Reactions: Ed463

Registered
Never forget my little moment that ended in cascades gravel trap with a broken wrist, broken ankle and a broken 2 moth old Yamaha R1 lol!
I can ride bikes but you wouldn't get me on an R1 around Oulton :)

Registered
I can ride bikes but you wouldn't get me on an R1 around Oulton :)
Lol! If you really want fear try taking one around the Nurburgring like I did on my first ever trip there in 1999.
Oulton park is child鈥檚 play in comparison lol!

Reactions: Ed463

Registered
Last time I drove it a guy there parked his 993RS on top of the tyres at the end of the second straight before the banked hairpin. His first phone call was to his wife to let her know the budget for their wedding and honeymoon had just been significantly slashed馃ぃ

Its a great track, Had an amazing day there a few years ago in the wet. Everyone went home at lunch and a few of us had an empty track in the PM.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Last time I drove it a guy there parked his 993RS on top of the tyres at the end of the second straight before the banked hairpin. His first phone call was to his wife to let her know the budget for their wedding and honeymoon had just been significantly slashed馃ぃ

Its a great track, Had an amazing day there a few years ago in the wet. Everyone went home at lunch and a few of us had an empty track in the PM.
Thanks Tootes ! ... So that means we can add you to the list of potential attendees then ? :p

Registered
Well spring is on it鈥檚 way and pandemic looking a bit better so hopefully Oulton park will be a green light (y)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts