Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, how exactly do I find out which bulb type is the one in the rear bumper illuminating the license plate? Thanks.Edited by: GPVG26

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
It'll be in the owners manual...

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
GPVG26 said:
Don't have the car yet, I was just wondering to see if it can be changed to an LED bulb.

why? (not sarcastic...but genuinely interested in what difference it would make)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got pressed alloy plates for the UP! And they light up nicely wih LED bulbs. Those bulbs have a hint of blue in it, and with the white car it looks much nicer. I call it attention to detail, my friends call it OCD... Hehe.Edited by: GPVG26

·
Registered
619 Posts
One reason for moving to LED bulbs is that they last longer than the standard incandescent types. The DRLs and number plate bulbs may be worth while changing- number plate bulbs are a common MOT failure for example.
I don't know if I would go to the trouble of changing these bulbs myself though. LEDs are likely to be much more expensive than standard bulbs and, on some cars,there may be CAN bus compatibility issues to consider.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
is there a DRL LED 21watt replacement?...that would look rather good methinks!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, W5W bulbs? I got a pair of blue-ish W5W bulbs for free with the new Phillips vision bulbs I bought. Will use those I guess and see if they have the same effect. Cool.Edited by: GPVG26

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Sounds like a plan :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Has anyone managed to remove the reg plate light cover? Had a quick tug haha but couldn't get it to budge?? Can anyone confirm if the Philips w5w would work as got a spare pair with the headlights too! Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
wez_kc said:
Has anyone managed to remove the reg plate light cover? Had a quick tug haha but couldn't get it to budge?? Can anyone confirm if the Philips w5w would work as got a spare pair with the headlights too! Cheers
I have......
Small screwdriver to the righthand side of holder, be careful not to scratch paint work,
You need to push it to the left and it should pop out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
no CAN-BUS errors to worry about on this car either btw!

had an LED in there since day 1, with pressed plate and against the white it looks miles better I think.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you change to LED bulbs already? Which bulbs did you use? Any chance of a pic?Edited by: GPVG26

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Cool! do any of the lights have can bus monitoring or can you change most for led?

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have tried to change DRL's and front turn indicators. There are no errors in instrument panel, the LED's I've tried simply don't work :(

·
Registered
71 Posts
That looks very smart. Does the light spread a bit better when looking with your eyes? The photo makes the light look quite concentrated to the centre of the plate and almost like it doesn't illuminate the edges. I'd imagine with your eyes, it looks cleaner and better lit than the camera shows? Also, what bulb did you use? Is it a refractor led?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts