Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well let me say, this little car is a "hoot" !!!!!I have a 2012 White UP with most options except sport suspension. I live in Lucerne Switzerland and use the car part time, trains and buses mostly. The UP has been a fantastic little adventure, after several decades in the auto business (USA) I have driven lots of very expensive and powerful vehicles. And the UP is one of the best (especially considering the price point)
It reminds me of the old saying, "it is much more fun to ride or drive a light weight slow vehicle fast, then it is to drive a fast vehicle slow". The drives around the shore of Lake Lucerne are absolutely wonderful, if you googlemap Lake Lucerne check the route from Brunnen along the lake to Lucerne. Lots of hairpin turns with cliffs and rock walls, speed limits in the 40 - 80 kph range. On any given nice weather day this route is full of sports cars and motorcycles, and in this environment the UP just shines. The lightweight flickable handling holds its own, through the corners between 4000 - 6500 rpms this little car is fantastic !!!!!! In the summer the White up has wide 16 inch wheels/tires, however the winter alloy wheels and winter tires are very skinny 14 inchers. I actually have more fun with the skinny tires, its more like driving a toy go cart. The other day it was me, a Mini Cooper S, a Porsche Carrera 4s and a BMW M3. Now I know what you are thinking, we headed north out of Brunnen with the performance cars all following the skinny wheeled anemic little "upster", but guess what they were on me like a fly in the straights. However, in the really tight sharp turn areas the UP held her own, and after about 10 minutes I pulled off to let everyone go by and the Porsche pulled over behind me, the driver said he was absolutely amassed and that he had not seen a small thin tire car corner like that since the 60's. I told him the last car I owned that had the driving characteristics of the UP was actually a Porsche, he looked at me funny, and then I explained it was an old Porsche 912 with the the smaller VW engine. Both cars had skinny tires, low horsepower engines, soft suspensions, wonderful steering and light flickable handling !!!!!! UP STORY #1

·
Registered
448 Posts
What a Great Post. Thank You for taking the time. I really enjoyed reading it

I was told many years ago " It is not what you drive...but how you drive it "

I think our Ups prove the point.

Go well.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Agree great wee cars - and a very good drive - and for Whatupdoc - I was in your part of the world this afternoon on the Galston - Sorn road - I see why you have your UP for your work - wonderful road holding on those bends. Sadly I was down to organise a friend's mother's funeral. But enjoyed the drive.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Roads are great round here but need the upgraded headlight bulbs in the winter!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Privatedoc said:
Roads are great round here but need the upgraded headlight bulbs in the winter!
Many potholes there ?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Grüezi in die Schweiz!

2 Few Miles said:
... old saying, "it is much more fun to ride or drive a light weight slow vehicle fast, then it is to drive a fast vehicle slow".
I own a 17 hp (PS) Kawasaki Estrella single cylinder motorbike with 20 Nm and 120 km/h (75 mph) max. ...
It makes so much fun to ride the winding narrow roads in the Sauerland. No other big bike can compete with this feeling. Even bringing a bike or car to its limits (without driving like an idiot) is a nice feeling. You have to have the right spirit - but I have owned my Estrella for 17 years now and know what I want.

Enjoy your up!

GrüÃe (or Grüsse as you write in switzerland)
from Dortmund
Andreas

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Derkie54 said:
Many potholes there ?

NO, there is a great website where you report any and click on a virtual map.....the council get notified and , I have to admit, are super efficient at fixing them...usually within a few days....

website is www.potholes.co.uk it is a nationwide service

East Ayrshire Council are pretty good on road condition, UNLIKE Glasgow !!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts