Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your dealer will offer this for £299

Don't. I bought the life shine pdi kit on eBay for £10. Just applied it, 90 mins total including washing the car first

Job done!Bargain of the century and an absolute doddle to do such a small car.

Save yourself £289 and spend it on an Up grade like sensor pack or similar!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yep I have done the same got a Lifeshine kit off ebay for £10. Supagard is also worth a try used that before and at £3 a sponge very cheap compared to Stealer prices!! Is as easy to apply as any wax just leave to cure if you can for at least an hour before buffing and make sure body work is spotless before applying as is a sealant not a wax. You can apply a good quality wax on top to enhance thelustrethough.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going to give it a coat of autoglym Hd wax , however I still have some zymol left so may use that.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
only thing is that you dont get the lifetime guarentee by doing it yourself...

i take it this kit off ebay does the interior as well as the exterior?

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, worth it for the interior protectant alone

My kit had gloss sealant, glass guard, interior/carpet treatment, washer fluid booster , loads of cotton mutton cloth , a window sticker and warranty reg form.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
It's ridiculous how much the dealer charges for this

·
Registered
132 Posts
You can buy the pdi lifeshine kits online from eBay for £18!! Do it yourself and save the money's it's shocking how much they charge!! Don't get ripped off guys. Mine is all set for Monday when I pick up my high up white hope it's not raining! Haha

·
Registered
587 Posts
willowaz said:

i take it this kit off ebay does the interior as well as the exterior?

The lifetime warranty is a bit of a joke TBH. There is enough in the kit to re-touch any damaged or areas you have had to removescratcheson or looses some of its property. But once applied to keep it fully protected just wax every 3-6 months.

After selling cars a few years back and even helping the valetter apply Diamond Brite it really is a big con. They would do a car in half an hour at most and the actual kit cost about £35, the Lifeshine kit is about £40. So the mark up and profit for a Stealer is huge!!

The full kit like the one I have includes interior protectant and the Glass guard as well all the clothes need to apply and buff it off. Again you can buy a can of Scotchguard off of Ebay for about £4.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Did exactly the same as ours,
and now we have bought the Extra Gloss protection, and the Miguires (spelling)? Wax too. Should look good!

Ben

·
Registered
315 Posts
willowaz said:

But what exactly would anyone be able to claim for?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Did mine with same lifeshine kit from ebay, I obviously paid too much as mine was £10 + £5 postage

In the end I ordered a 2nd kit and did my zafira

The £300 kit from the dealer also includes a pack to take home, in a nice case, but the products in there are readily available at halfords.

As, has been stated on this forum before, there is not much margin in the UP! yet for the dealer, but plenty of margin for the dealer, in selling lifeshine and gap insurance. What I found crazy about the gap insurance was that I had to sign on the dealers electronic system to say that I didnt want gap insurance, and he showed me that of all his sales for the month of May, only 2 had declined (2 out of about 12).

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have noticed that all the dealers I have visited add life shine to the quote of the automatically. Treat yourself to some nice detailing goodies instead. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Great - NOW you tell me....

I signed up for Autoglym when I ordered the car. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to all this stuff, so got fleeced by my dealers in the nicest possible way - (they were lovely to me!) now I know why!

Ah well, you learn something new every day...

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
VWXYZ said:
willowaz said:

very funny with the "my car is not shiny enough!"

but its more like, my paintwork has deteriorated... or more likely the case, that there is a stain on the seats from a spilt drink or something. I was told that with the guarentee that if this kinda thing happens you take it back and if they cant remove the stain etc for you then they pay for it to be fixed. eg a re-spray or re-upholster.

·
Registered
587 Posts
willowaz said:
VWXYZ said:
willowaz said:

very funny with the "my car is not shiny enough!"

but its more like, my paintwork has deteriorated... or more likely the case, that there is a stain on the seats from a spilt drink or something. I was told that with the guarentee that if this kinda thing happens you take it back and if they cant remove the stain etc for you then they pay for it to be fixed. eg a re-spray or re-upholster.

In theory that is correct but they will also use the old "it's not covered trick" and to be honest at £300 that would more than pay for a couple of paint issues or aprofessionalupholsteryclean/repair.

The worst they will probably cover for Lifeshine is bird poo that when it dries and shrinks becomes etched into the paintwork leaving a nice little reminder "I was ere... signed Mr Sparrow". Once I sold a brand new Mondeo and prior to collection a bird had pooed on the car Valeter removed it but it had left a mark. I told the customer and he threw the car keys at me
However it did polish out!!!

Yes I am a cynic when it comes to cars and stealers but then I was a dodgy sales guy for two years......I'l get my coat

Edited by: jezyg

·
Registered
705 Posts
Strangely, when I tried the old "I can get it for three shillings on eBay" routine, my dealer said they could only buy the kit in at £150. So something is fishy.

Nick

1 - 20 of 27 Posts