Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
My first post here,hope someone can help....I've just ordered my UP but I declined the overpriced Lifeshine treatment,although I do want it!
Are there any valeters in the Hampshire area who offer the same Lifeshine treatment with the certificate and aftercare kit.
I know I could do it myself but I would much prefer it to be done professionally.

Hope you can help!

·
Registered
523 Posts
To be fair, you could ask for a new car protection detail. Should be plenty of detailers in the area. Or buy yourself some products and DIY :) plenty of people on here to point you in the right direction.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
did it myself in about 90 mins...lifeshine kit £10 on ebay.....no brainer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't really want to do it myself, I would be worried about scratching the car. I would feel much better having a pro apply it. I just had a quick look on google and there are a few who offer it at about £180...a lot cheaper than the dealers.
Thanks for the replies.
D

·
Registered
112 Posts
MrsACF said:
I didn't really want to do it myself, I would be worried about scratching the car. I would feel much better having a pro apply it. I just had a quick look on google and there are a few who offer it at about £180...a lot cheaper than the dealers.
Thanks for the replies.
D

I was the same, nice to save the money, but I was worred I might make a hash of it if I tried it myself. I got the dealer to do it, but negotiated on price.

·
Registered
315 Posts
MrsACF said:
Thanks for the replies.
D

£180 is still a ripoff.

There is no way you will scratch the car.

Wash it.

Dry it.

Wipe the LS on and leave to haze.

Buff it off.

This is my company and here is our New Car Protection Detail. It is way more comprehensive than a LS application - took me 70 minutes to do our up!

http://www.clenz.co.uk/exteriors/new-car-detail/

Not really the sort of car my customers own but I would have charged around £80.

You may think that is a lot for 70 mins work but the £180 LS treatments you mention will take a similar time, probably less.

Worth £180?

I don't think so.

Just do it yourself, maybe 2.5 hours max' if you have not done this sort of thing before.

Edited by: VWXYZ

·
Registered
315 Posts
MrUp said:
Is life shine some kind of equivalent to collinite 476s? Has anybody compared the two?

Lifeshine is a sealant. Bonds to the paintwork.

476S is a wax. Sits on the paintwork, albeit very stickily!

If you want my 2-penneth for a non-professional user then Collinite 845 Insulator Wax is the way to go.

This is around £20 delivered.

It is a buttery gloopy product in a bottle.

It is easy to use when you know how - most people get into problems with it when they put it on too thick and/or in blazing heat.

Here's how to do it properly.

Get a small 5" x 3" applicator sponge from Halfords (not a microfibre pad a proper sponge is needed - this stops the pad absorbing too much product).

Soak the sponge with water and wring it out leaving it just damp.

Put a dollop of wax on the sponge (6 peas worth will do) and mush it in. Do this by mashing the wax up on a localised part of the bodywork. Bonnet or roof is fine.

Once this is doe you can then start spreading the wax. Gentle pressure straight lines is fine.

Do this for the whole bonnet or roof. Spread it thinly.

Therafter add a pea sized blob for each new panel or 2-3 peas for a bigger panel.

Buff off with soft microfibre cloth every 3-4 panels.

Repeat 2-4 times per year and your car will be spot on.

Bottle of wax will last a few years.

This is a very tough and durable wax used on boats/planes/electrical insulators on pylons. Bang for buck there is no (imho) better wax on the market from a protection perspective. Decent shine too.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I'm a complete novice with a black car and I did mine myself.

·
Registered
71 Posts
VWXYZ, ok thanks :) can I ask why you favour 845 wax over the 476s? I only ask I have 476s already and from what you've said, I only need to apply my 476s once a year for full protection compared to the 845s 4 times. Is the 845 better? Or to be exact, worth buying for me bearing in mind I already have the 476s?
I know what you mean about being very sticky. The 476s detergent proof and weather proof properties make even farecla G3 have a tough time to shift it!
Finally, is the 845 water repellant? Sorry for all the questions, im only a novice at detailing so I only own the basic products that were recommended to me on detailing world.

·
Registered
523 Posts
845 is easier to use I find, I have that along 476 and 915. I tend to use 845 on wheels, but it's good on paintwork. Use whatever is good for you. I think 476 and 915 last that bit longer.

·
Registered
315 Posts
MrUp said:
VWXYZ, ok thanks :) can I ask why you favour 845 wax over the 476s? I only ask I have 476s already and from what you've said, I only need to apply my 476s once a year for full protection compared to the 845s 4 times. Is the 845 better? Or to be exact, worth buying for me bearing in mind I already have the 476s?
I know what you mean about being very sticky. The 476s detergent proof and weather proof properties make even farecla G3 have a tough time to shift it!
Finally, is the 845 water repellant? Sorry for all the questions, im only a novice at detailing so I only own the basic products that were recommended to me on detailing world.

All last about the same in terms of durability.

As per Supermegamonkee the IW is easier to use imo. It's easier to put on thinner and hence easier to buff off quickly.

I put 2-4 times per year in my post to cover low to high mileage users really. I'm not saying you have to put it on 4 times a year but with such a small car as the up! it's a 15 minute job tops so why not on the basis that it can't hurt and any extra protection is always worth it. None of the Colli's discolours with multiple coats and all tend to last around 6-9 months under normal usage.

Re: water repellancy - all the Collinite waxes are very hydrophobic, they will even precipitate water out of the air on a humid evening - car ends up with a misty dew on it.

Use what you have for now - it is a good product.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was just wondering for those of you who had used this product yourselves- followinguse is it ok to just wash the car as normal? And do you think application will have to be repeated again or is it really 'for life'?!
Sorry if the answeris a really obvious one! Lol!

p.s LOVE my new UP!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Sparkles96 said:
I was just wondering for those of you who had used this product yourselves- followinguse is it ok to just wash the car as normal? And do you think application will have to be repeated again or is it really 'for life'?!
Sorry if the answeris a really obvious one! Lol!

p.s LOVE my new UP!

The car can just be washed as normal and should last a life time in theory. I have heard of cars after 10 years still looking good under the Diamond Brite. I think the longevity is down to how well the car is looked after over time.

Aregularwax will add an extra layer of protection as well as adding a shine as Lifeshine is asealantnot a wax. Never use polish or any form of abrasive cleaner as that will remove it. If you use T-cut or anything similar then it will need reapplying in those small areas.

Oh and never use a bucket of sappy water and sandpaper to wash it that will remove it, and yes it has been done shocking mess at the end......must add not by me

·
Registered
104 Posts
My husband does all our cars his ,mine the 2 kids and we never had any problem with my 5 year old C1 fading he only uses Autoglym but he does like cleaning cars

1 - 17 of 17 Posts