Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone - thanks for such a helpful and informative forum!

Just to let you know I am picking up my light blue High up! next weekend. "Black pearl dash/anthracite", plus "black spoke high gloss wheels". I ordered it yesterday! It had already been ordered by the VW dealership as part of their allocation - which I was told was max 30 up!s per dealership for the whole of this year - so it's already in the UK. And it was the colour I most wanted!

(Other than on the internet) I haven't seen this colour, as the local dealer I went to didn't have the swatches yet!

So ... hoping it will look pretty!

Edited by: Violet

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much, all! I votedfor my colour. I am already enjoying justanticipating it!

Yes - beyond lucky. However .... I kinda feel I earned it!

Dealing with the local VW dealership/salesman here has been a nightmare resembling a down! rather more closely than an up! Or perhaps more accurately, a super-rollercoaster.

Very disappointing, as in the past I've always had great fun in the process of choosing and buying a car.

Now another, in my opinion much more professional, VW dealership has my order (my car is arriving there today!), although it means I shall have to drive 136 miles each way to fetch it! Anyway - after all the "decisions and revisions, which a minute will reverse" - it's particularly special to me to have the up! I wanted, when I was told I could have it, and great that I shall have the perfect excuse to try out my new car on a road trip - ahem - straight up!

·
294 Posts
Great news - I think the light blue colour I've only seen on pictures from a motor show. Looks like its going to be a nice rare colour on this forum too

Travelling far to a dealer is a great excuse for a nice long drive home in your new baby so enjoy

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you! Me too. I am still waiting to see my first up! in the wild, here in the SE.

Although I wouldn't wish the experience with the first dealer (which, however, lead to this) on anyone!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Great choice in colour! the light blue looks really nice (from the photos I've seen). Will make your Up that little bit more special!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! The colour looks very light in the few photos I've seen, and on the VW configurator.. One dealer, whose sales manager had seen it, in Germany, said it was "almost white". We shall see ...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Looking forward to pics of this color. I did consider it myself x

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Black, but purely because of all the dark glass at the rear. Not my favorite part, so didn't want to make it a stand out feature.
I asked the dealer if he had seen a light blue one but he hadn't, so I couldn't even get a first hand opinion. But it would of deffo been my second choice x

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
welcome! what exactly was the problem with your first dealer? luck you had a second dealer who has done an amazing job for you! cant wait to see some lovely pics of your new up when you get it!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK then; I thought it might be helpful to other prospective up! buyers- but I've removed it, and here's the short(er) answer instead:

I felt they were playing games. My experience was that the salesman was constantly reneging on what he'd said earlier. He tried to convince me - despite Glass's and CAP - my p/e was worth around 33% less than its actual value. He also tried hard to persuade me it was advantageous (to me) to buy the car on finance rather than pay up front. (It's a no-brainer that borrowing money is going to cost the customer more over the term than not borrowing it, if it's not 0% finance).

In the end, to get the spec I wanted sooner than the factory order, he said they would swap a car with another dealership, to get me that one.

He then up!ped the price of the carafter the deal had been agreed (declaring an extra piece of spec for the first time,after the deposit had been taken on the basis of a standard High up! -- and then I only discovered the additional cost by chance; he didn't volunteer it).

He took my deposit (which I was told could ONLY ever be done once a car was confirmed as allocated to their dealership) and then, when the deal was reneged on a day later, never offered during that conversation to refund it - I had to ask for the refund after we'd hung up (it was, however, promptly applied and confirmed by post the next day).

He also blamed the other dealer for the deal falling through - the dealer I'm now buying the car from, who has been very reliable and professional, which I've found a delightfully refreshing contrast.

I'm guessing that what actually happened is he hadn't asked about the car's spec BEFORE he sold it to me, and he hadn't checked with the other dealer about shipping costs before actioning the deal (he told me it was en route when in fact it's already in the UK). So it seems to me that he passed on the first cost to me (but without either telling me, or offering me the opportunity of cancelling the order - isn't that illegal??!). When he found out the car was already in the UK, and thus shipping costs he'd told me weren't applicable would be charged, I think it was probably his dealership rather than the other dealer, who 'changed their mind' about the swap. The other dealer still had the car when I contacted him the next day, and there was no problem him selling it.

The original sales guy also told me one day he'd had the swap approved by the other dealer's sales manager, and the next day that he hadn't spoken to the other sales manager before he put the transaction through and agreed the deal with me. A complete volte face. I found it all very slippery and, as a result, they've lost the servicing of my up! and any future sales from this customer!

Hope that conveys the flavour slightly more succinctly and is helpful to other up! buyers.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
i can see where youre coming from as for thinking they might have been trying to pull a fast one on you!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In order not to dampen my up! buying experience, I've decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. It certainly came across that way to me. But maybe it was caused by lack of trainging/management supervision and/or overbounding youthful enthusiasm (I have several decades' experience on the 18-year old salesman).

Though I really hope not - perhaps it could also be that they thought that they could take advantage of a woman alone buying a car? That hasn't ever been my experience in the past - once they've established I'd done my research I've always been treated respectfully and with decency.

All I can say is, that wasn't my experience on this occasion with the first dealership. Next time I'll know to check out several, before I decide which one will get my sale!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Nice one Violet!

I'll give you a bell next time I'm off to buy anything!!!!

Drop an e-mail to VW UK outlining your problems with the first garage, I'm sure they would love to know!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts