Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had ours at the dealer the other day to investigate noisy gearbox. Waste of time really, but fault logged. What's interesting though is that VW are aware that the boxes are noisy but it's deliberate. Apparently they made a heavier gearbox initially that was quite but was too heavy for the emissions. So they made another which was lighter than the current one which would have put the car into the free tax bracket but they wouldn't accept the noise levels. So they settled for a compromise knowing it was still noisy just not as noisy as it could have been. So there you have it. VW engineered a noisy box to keep emissions down. Surely someone without too much trouble could invent some kind of sound insulating blanket to wrap around the box that would reduce the noise? If it was done aftermarket it wouldn't effect the emissions.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
That's interesting. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry, but I think you either missunderstood this guy completely, or he was telling you absolute BS.
There is no way that a "lighter gearbox" alone could bring the Up! from 105g down to 99g CO2. Plus,
tax regulations are very diverse among different countries. In many countries, "99g CO2 per km" is a nice statement for advertising, but has little effect on the taxes. And if they really wanted to be the Up a "99g" car all the way, then they could have made the BMT technology a standard; but instead (it is VW, you know) they opted for an extra cash-in.
Maybe the VW guy simply wanted to explain in general that the gearbox is a compromise between a more solid and silent one, and a light, noisy one.
But fact is: VW just f'ed it up. Others can do it right without such a "compromise".

Georg

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Totally agree George. But that was the message I got, the gearbox was designed light to keep emissions down and they settled for a slightly less noisy compromise. Obviously other factors other than the box work together to bring weight down and as a result emissions. ..

·
Registered
179 Posts
I must say, that during my test drive, I didn't notice any noise from the gearbox. If this is something that develops after the car is in use, it would be more worrying.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine is noisy and I've very nearly done 8000 from when I bought it last April. It works fine though so I gave up worrying about it. If it suddenly explodes I'll probably get it looked at but I just decided to get on with it. It changes gear so I figure it does everything it should.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thanks for the update - later comments noted.

I have come to the conclusion that the whole gearbox/engine situation smacks of rushed development.

Went out in a Ka the other day and crikey the drive-train is creamy smooth and quiet compared to the up!

Pathetic really on VW's part

·
Registered
430 Posts
I wonder why only some are noisey? I've done 3000 miles now and the gearbox is very slick, smooth and quiet other than a slight 'chatter' in neutral. Anyone else out there with a quiet, slick gearbox?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Mine's generally slick, though it gets a little clumsy on a cold morning starting homewards from work and I have to change down to first to negotiate a speed hump (large enough to have a pedestrian walkway on top) a few hundred metres up the road from the company car park. This would be caused by a cold engine, a cold gearbox, and sluggish oil.

Aside from that it's been smooth, with the slight "pinking" sound in fifth gear that I've got used to.

Nick

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Mine is perfect. Smooth as silk, the only real noise being the 'clack' as the clutch drops and it engages the next gear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My ASG is smooth, quiet and a great drive - no rattles, no squeks, no chinks, only an agressive growl when I push it and THAT I love, reminds me of the old Porche 6-holer boxer somehow, just not quite the same push....

·
Registered
121 Posts
the swede said:
My box is quiet and slick. Nothing to complain about.

Mine too, it's a real peach of a shift and makes no undue noises at all.

I wouldn't have driven it off the dealership forecourt if it sounded like some of the descriptions being posted here.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Pif said:
smooth, quiet and a great drive - no rattles, no squeks, no chinks, only an agressive growl when I push it and THAT I love

could not agree more sounds real nice

·
Registered
430 Posts
Nice to get some positives too and a reminder to those unfortunate to be having noise issues to keep complaining to VW as it is quite evident that not all UP's have issues.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Mine is another quiet gearbox although only 1500 miles covered since October. Sometimes it can be difficult to get into reverse, I think that is down to lack of syncomesh inreverseand seems to be when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
5 Posts
if some gearboxes are better than others then surely that suggests manufacturing defects for those problem boxes rather than a common quirk

·
Registered
65 Posts
We seem to be going round in circles with this debate on the up!'s supposed gearbox fault. It appears that most up!'s exhibit some noise from the gearbox in 5th gear but at the moment there isn't much that can/will be done to rectify it. It also seems some people more than others are able to tolerate the noise or simply don't hear it, or their car actually doesn't make a noise. But this topic has been discussed ad nauseam now in multiple threads and I think the only solution for those who are truly unsatisfied with their cars is probably to sell it and buy something else!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts