Up Owners Club banner

Loan car

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  R1ch 
#1 ·
I have had my little up for nearly two weeks now and love it. My wife loves it, my kids love it (very cool apparently :)) and I love it. I have a bigger more powerful car I could drive but find myself always wanting to get into the up. I recently had to leave the car at the dealers for a day while they sorted the coding on a second remote key. They gave me a new golf tdi to use while this was being done. The golf was very nice to drive, quiet and had a reasonable turn of speed. A very well equipped car. BUT all the time I was in it I couldn't help thinking it was a little, well, boring! The up seems to have so much more character. Very glad to swap back once my key was sorted.

#2 ·
That's good to hear R1ch, and not surprising if all the comments on this forum are anything to go by.

It's really great to read things like this because I have to admit, there have been a couple of occasions where I've almost thought of caving in and buying something that didn't have this nightmare waiting time.

But it's all the great comments from the fantastic people on this forum that have stopped me doing that and I know it's gonna be worth the wait, hopefully not for much longer.

#4 ·
glad to see they gave you a nice change of car for the loan car while you waited for your key.

but also glad to hear it made you think the up is the right choice :)

so they second key is working fine I assume?

#6 ·
I've driven a fair selection of VWs (except the Phaeton!), and I really enjoy driving my Polo, but I can't recall EVER being as excited about changing my car. And the more I read the more I'm certain that I've made a good move. Anyway, my wife has a Polo Match so I'll have the best of both worlds
......assuming she doesn't nick my Up! (when I get it, that is).

#7 ·
I was really keen on the Polo before the Up came along. The price for a nice specification of Polo was a bit steep though (~£15k). The 'poverty spec' Polos, at the bottom of the range, I imagineare not that interesting to drive; a small engine in a heavy bodyis ok but dull.The Up, for me, seems to tick all the right boxes and has a certain charm you can only appreciate once you've driven it a few miles (no offence intended to those folks still waiting for their cars).

#8 ·
Having moved from a diesel Jetta to a mere 1.2 Polo I must admit I was a bit concerned about performance but it really has never been an issue. It's just got better and better and is incredibly nippy around town, cruises with 4 up at an easy 70/75, and yes you do have to change down on the steepest hills but that's never a hardship as the gearshift is so sweet. I do have an elderly BMW 523i Touring which is usefully if had lots of stuff to cart around.

#9 ·
luckyjimmy said:
The 'poverty spec' Polos, at the bottom of the range, I imagineare not that interesting to drive; a small engine in a heavy bodyis ok but dull.
Mine was a dealer's demonstrator so probably had some extras, but the problem was the diesel engine. When stationary, press accelerator, then twiddle thumbs for a second or two while waiting for the engine to respond. I think it is called turbo lag, as the turbo feeds off the exhaust, so it only really cuts in quickly when already at a good speed. At 60mph it had nice acceleration and a lovely whine. Reviews say the base spec. petrol engine is unrefined. With a higher range engine it'd be lovely, but a bit pricey. But if you want a comfortable solid feeling car, and don't care about the driving experience, the base Polo would be lovely.

#10 ·
It was the base specification petrol Polo I was thinking about in my comments above; on paper the car looked like it would be underpowered with the 60hp engine.

I've no doubt that it would be nice enough to drive but it just did not excite or catch my attention. The 100bhp 1.2, with lots of low down torque, would have been my choice if money were no object. Also, I did think about the small diesel engined variants but tales of DPF failure, dual mass flywheel problems and injection pump issueson other marques put me off.

#15 ·
R1ch said:
Is that an offer?

Always liked VWs and the golf I was given was a very good car. Just lacked a little charm. What type of golf do you have?
I haven't driven, or sat in, many German cars, but I do get the impression they are very Germanic i.e. form follows function. The Up is certainly in that camp. It means they lack the sheer style of a Fiat 500 for example, but they tend to be more practical, and look nice too.

#16 ·
R1ch said:
Is that an offer?

Always liked VWs and the golf I was given was a very good car. Just lacked a little charm. What type of golf do you have?

its a GTI Edition 35 which has now been remapped by Revo to 300bhp (235 standard) and about to have a few more bits done for GTI International when it should have 320

more than willing to take you for a spin if you are in the Oxford area or i pop along to an Up meet

#17 ·
We've had a couple of GTI's, mk1 and a mk3, the mk3 might have been quicker but the mk1 had bags more appeal! it was a joy to drive.
Might be due to the fact it was a rear end wright off when we bought it! but I just loved it.

Wish I had more pics of some of the old VW's we've had.

#18 ·
Leif said:
I haven't driven, or sat in, many German cars, but I do get the impression they are very Germanic i.e. form follows function. The Up is certainly in that camp. It means they lack the sheer style of a Fiat 500 for example, but they tend to be more practical, and look nice too.

Each to their own but I like the German style. I find cars like fiats and Pugs cheap and tacky looking. But my brother prefers their designs and thinks German style is too boring and plain.

#19 ·
R1ch how long did it take them to sort out your key? I'll need to go in to get mine sorted but dont want to stand around all day so might get a loan car too.

My mother in law has just purchased a brand new VW Golf Bluemotion. Its a nice wee car on the outside, but see inside! very very bland! its like they fitted the base spec interior to a high spec exterior. I do love sitting in my wee Up! .... it just feels so much more ..... fun :)

#20 ·
Craig200588: I looked for a long time at my local VW dealer's used Golf stock before buying my Up. Each car had, as you described, bland, grey interiors. This was not what I expected from a premium marque. VW seem to have been a bit more adventurous with the Up - particularly the Cornsilk interior with red trimmed seats and red dash pad. Very nice...

#21 ·
totally agree, I do have to admit though that I did like the interior of my 2011 Polo SE, was all black but the materials used were very up market! it felt expensive haha. I do wish VW used more nicer materials in the Up! such as soft touch on the door panels. But I aint complaining, I love the interior of my Up!

#22 ·
Craig200588 said:
totally agree, I do have to admit though that I did like the interior of my 2011 Polo SE, was all black but the materials used were very up market! it felt expensive haha. I do wish VW used more nicer materials in the Up! such as soft touch on the door panels. But I aint complaining, I love the interior of my Up!
I think VW have to differentiate their products, so the Up is not a Polo, and they have to keep costs down. I also like the Up interior, it feels as if they made it more basic, but kept a feeling of quality. I've been in the Fiesta, and it feels a bit cheap despite supposedly being more upmarket e.g. no exposed metal on doors.

I do wonder if the Polo will be upgraded using ideas from the Up i.e. smaller 3 cylinder engine, creating more cabin space and better fuel economy. I read that VAG are using shared platforms for their cars as often as possible to reduce costs. So perhaps the Up platform will become the new Polo.

#23 ·
Craig200588 said:
R1ch how long did it take them to sort out your key? I'll need to go in to get mine sorted but dont want to stand around all day so might get a loan car too.

My mother in law has just purchased a brand new VW Golf Bluemotion. Its a nice wee car on the outside, but see inside! very very bland! its like they fitted the base spec interior to a high spec exterior. I do love sitting in my wee Up! .... it just feels so much more ..... fun :) 
Well I guess it depends on whether they have done an up key already in which case I believe it is no more than 10 minutes. Because mine didn't work in this 10 mins I had to take it back for the day. They had it at 8.30am and I picked her up at 3.30pm. You might be luckier, your dealer maybe more up to date with software etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.