Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a few weeks I need to do Newcastle to Kent. I'm trying to weigh up between taking the frugal Up! and the M3. I know the BMW will be better for blasting down the motorway but will only return around 20-25MPG depending on what speed you cruise at. Realistically what will and Up! give you on a motorway run (75PS BMT). Also what are they like at motorway speed? The only reason I ask is because I'm still waiting on mine arriving!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've just taken my 75ps BMT high up down to chester and back which was a 370 mile round trip, mainly motorway miles and it returned 61 mpg. I was mainly driving at 65mph with the cruise control on though, and I kept switching the air con off and on for 20 minute periods to help fuel consumption aswell. It's only the cars second tank of fuel aswell.Comfort wise I found the drive no problem and could of comfortably kept going but my girlfriend seemed to get a bit uncomfortable in the passenger seat after about 2 hours in. This may be because of the sports suspension from the sports pack though.

·
Registered
523 Posts
My up black 75 did bham to nurburgring and back fully loaded on 2 3/4 tanks of fuel that's 1100 miles. It was superb on the autobahn.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Are you buying brand new - if you are then I'd suggest not taking the up on such a long journey as it's maiden voyage - get a few miles under it's belt first. I regularly do 300 miles round trips and have been using my Golf GT TDI instead of the up (both will average 60mpg) now she has 800 miles on the clock I'll probably take the up next time I make the trip.

Comfort wise though.... no contest - not to say the up is uncomfortable but you sure notice the difference a pair of top notch seats make when you get out after a long journey.

Once after a particularly long journey in a bucket seat I was aching for days. I did the same journey a few months later in an AMG and I felt I'd been sat on a fluffy cloud the whole way after I got out.

Comfort - take the M3
Pocket - take the up!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I haven't done any really long trips in my Mii - perhaps 2 hours tops. But on those slightly longer trips, I have noticed that my back aches at the end of it whereas I can drive all day in my big Volvo and skip out at the end as fresh as a daisy.

I don't think the Mii seats have very good lumbar support - which is odd as I used to think the lumbar support adjustments were a bit pointless.

But I wouldn't have thought an M3 would be as comfortable as a Volvo - fast and fun, yes; comfortable and relaxing on long trips, less so.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've done a few long trips in my Up!. We've driven from Arbroath down to Devon, Arbroath to Liverpool and my mum lives up the west coast of Scotland so done a couple 400 mile trips to see her. The Up! is fantastic on motorways, feels like a much bigger car and feels very confident driving along side big BMW's and SUV's on the roads. I have the Sports pack so big alloys and lowered suspension and its very comfortable. Only gripe is after 4 or 5 hours my back does get a bit achey, I do have back issues so it's probably just me!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Depends on the road conditions and how much hills you have etc.BMT will not really make a difference on constant motorway driving.

I've been getting with non BMT 75ps around 55mpg if I do constant cruise controlled 70mph. Dropping or increasing that speed follow pretty much the scale of 5mph=10% more/less consumption.
e.g. doing 65mph gives 60mpg or 75mph gives 50mpg

My car has now covered only 1700 miles so I don't think it's at its optimal consumption yet but the above is pretty much the idea.

My last fill-up gave 359 miles with 32.6 litres of petrol=49mpgish of mixed driving.

On motorways it feels like a much bigger car though :) Sidewind might grab it a little at 70mph but it's the law of nature as the car ain't exactly that heavy.

Edited by: ZillUp

·
Registered
532 Posts
My 75 goes very well at 70 mph. The only issue is that a lot of others think you are struggling to get to 70 and you can get bullied by the idiots who want to do 90 mph.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Been on several 400 mile plus runs....very comfy, becomes quite a game trying to max the MPG...certainly 60+ if you sit at the legal speed limit and aren't heading up mountains all the time

Just purrs along!

my up is 1 yr old tomorrow and 23.5K miles done !

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
it is mainly my 35 mile each way commute......can get over 70mpg on it usually!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Privatedoc said:
it is mainly my 35 mile each way commute......can get over 70mpg on it usually!

Do you do constant 55mph?
Can't see getting over 70mpg with motorway speeds.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
It is dual carriageway, sit at around 55 , quiet roads, no lights and chill out listening to some tunes or even (hangs head in shame) The Archers!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'd see how the seat comfort suits, as someone already mentioned. Perhaps tackle a shorter journey first?
Also... and we have a similar-ish combo, BMW 330d coupe and Up!... I'm frequently surprised at how the two cars receive different treatment from other road users. Mostly from other cars tailgating more often when we are in the Up! and also cutting in after overtaking. Also overtaking when they don't really need to. For example when they are shortly going to turn left. Obviously the 330d doesn't hang about most of the time. But I have driven both cars over the same roads at the same speed and time of day and there does seem to be a difference beyond confirmation bias. Its not a problem as such. But if you are the type to get a little bit wound up, a little, just a thought. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have recently been on vacation in my Citigo (60bhp) - a 4500km (2800 miles) roundtrip from Denmark to Austria, Switzerland and Schwarzwald. It had a hard time in the mountains and could´t hold 50mph in 3rd gear. Other than that, its a peach.

I find the seats quite comfortable, but they lack some support in corners.
A/C is ok, also in 35 degrees celcius.

Comparing it to my old Fabia mk1 1.9 TDI, i think the Citigo is quieter - atleast the engine.
I´ve had the gearlinkages adjusted by the dealer and the gearbox is a bit noisy, but that is all i have to complain about.

Edited by: pagh

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So over all it doesn't seem like a bad little car for doing distances in. Which is good to know. I was curious to know if it can keep up with the flow of traffic. I have a Lupo Sport with a GTI reshelled into it and thats okay keeping up with traffic but its about the same size (maybe smaller?) and has an extra 50HP! So its bound to shift.

techgogo - I agree with being treated differently. I never get let out of a junction in the M3 but if I take the wifes Polo then you get let out. In the M3 people go out of there way not to let you out and definitely won't look you in the eye after they've not let you out. I dunno why, I'd rather look at the back end of a nice car than some battered old Transit van.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Heartagram said:
So over all it doesn't seem like a bad little car for doing distances in. Which is good to know. I was curious to know if it can keep up with the flow of traffic. I have a Lupo Sport with a GTI reshelled into it and thats okay keeping up with traffic but its about the same size (maybe smaller?) and has an extra 50HP! So its bound to shift.

techgogo - I agree with being treated differently. I never get let out of a junction in the M3 but if I take the wifes Polo then you get let out. In the M3 people go out of there way not to let you out and definitely won't look you in the eye after they've not let you out. I dunno why, I'd rather look at the back end of a nice car than some battered old Transit van.
It can easily keep up with the flow of traffic. I do a 15 mile cross country commute on a B road, and often do an overtake, and it feels very safe. But I drop into 3rd gear, to get acceleration, I would not recommend an overtake in 5th. I used to commute 30 miles on motorways, and it is fine. But I wouldn't drive like some people do, pulling into and out of small gaps, and rapidly accelerating. The Up is not made for that, and anyway such driving is not safe.

I've often driven 200 miles, with a break in the middle, and it is a nice car. It is a tad noisy at 70mph if the road is not ideal, but okay. I normally do 60mph and get ~63mpg.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did a 1.5 hour motorway trip and I had a sore bum. I did sit on a wooden child's chair playing lego with my 4 and 6 years old for about 3 hours before the trip, so I don't blame the car (yet). Doing my return trip tonight but again I've been sitting on my arse all day on a poorly padded adult chair so if I get back/bum pain I won't blame it either.

Speed wise it's fine. I have cruise control so it's a much better drive compare to my wife's BMW 1 series 2L diesel (with C/C). If you ignore the fuel consumption gauge it does have enough power to overtake etc. You will need to downshift, but it will be fine.

Enjoy your car when it arrives.

Adrian

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have done approx 6600 mile sin my citigo in under 6 months and it does approx 100 miles every weekend and its just recently done a 400 mile round trip to the lakes and back.
My citigo never missed a beat and even after being parked in a grassy field and near a dusty lane it started up and drove perfect. I know people who do similar joruneys in fiestas, astras etc and they complain about noise or mpg but I get approx 62.0mpg and its still improving.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts