Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all those with a long wait for their Up! (seems like just about everyone!) did your dealer guarantee your trade-in value at the point of ordering, and/or did they take the long lead time into consideration when giving you a price for your old car?
The reason I'm asking is (as I posted a few days ago), I've ordered a Move Up! which the dealer already has in stock due to a cancelled order. However it's taking a bit of time to sort out paperwork (car had been registered, intended customer could not proceed with purchase, so the dealer is getting the car de-registered so that it can be re-registered to me). The longer this takes, the more I'm thinking should I place a factory order so that I can get the soundpack (and possibly a sunroof, and maybe a different colour - the stock car is white, but I'm now fancying light blue or tungsten silver!).

However, when I was deciding whether to order the stockcar, the salesmanindicated that if I placed a factory order, they might notoffer me the same price for my car because it would be three months older by the time the new car arrives. Not sure if this was just a ploy to get me to buy the stock car, or if it's true that the dealer will adjust the price offered for a trade in based on the lead time for the new car?

How did it work for the rest of you who are waiting?

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Dealer gave price at time of ordering and stuck to it...fair price too, guess I could get a wee bit more selling privately but frankly I cannot be ar5ed !

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ours gave us a price for the Mazda 6 and has called on Monday to say that it has now dropped by about £150 and that is how the market works which is [email protected]

·
Registered
525 Posts
My dealer gave me a price for June in March. They haven't mentioned any change ( I'm collecting today, 2 months later than they said) but given that they're only giving me £400 anyway it's hard to see how they could drop it much. Anything with a service history and MOT has to be worth that at auction. I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah that is rubbish tweeter, I don't think I'd want to commit to a purchase without being certain of how much it was going to cost me, and it's not as if the long lead time is the customer's fault (although I guess it's not the dealer's fault either).

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
my dealer was pretty straight about it, he rang round for best bids and gave me £250 more than that, says his profit margin is rubbish but I could have £250 effective discount, also chucked in the service package for free.

·
Registered
214 Posts
It is pretty rubbish and they have not been a great experience overall which is a bit sad you would think that being a newbie to VW product that they would look after us. I thought the price they gave us for the part-ex was fixed, provided we did no damage to the car or say put on another 10K in mileage. Well they don't know about the wheel bearings which are starting to hum like a monk sitting in the boot of the car, good luck to them really. I have not come across anyone else with experience of Lookers in Morden or any other branch of Lookers for that matter.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Shhhh!...mine needs 2 new front discs, and an MOT .....

·
Registered
214 Posts
Oh well ours will be out of road tax too by the end of the month but for us to get it there we will probably have to do 6 months which is a pain in the butt, and on the Mazda it is very expensive.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Mine too but I'm dropping it off a week on sat so I dont need to chuck another 400 squid at it!...as my dealer says, he'll just flog it on so doesnt care as long as he gets his stand-in price.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tweeter, I am also buying from Lookers (different branch) and I also haven't had a great experience. In fact, I very nearly bought a Citigo simply because the sales staff at our local Skoda dealersip were 100% better to deal with.
Lookers initially offered me a stupidly low amount for my car and insisited they couldn't better it. They also gave me the hard sell on GAP insurance, GardX etc, and included them in the quote even though I said I didn't want them. I felt like the salesman was putting on a show, going off "to speak to the manager" all the time, trying to con me into thinking I was getting a good deal. I think they thought I loved the car so much that I would be stupid enough to just agree.

In contrast the Skoda people were so straightforward and not pushy at all -they even advised me not to spend too much on optional extras and accessories!! They offered me a really good price for my car straight away with no haggling. They were a real pleasure to deal with and I would have been happy to spend my money there, but unfortunately I just couldn't love the Citigo.

When I told Lookers what Skoda were offering, lo and behold they were suddenly able to match it. If they had been straight with me from the start, I would have ordered the car weeks ago when I first saw it. It does leave a bad taste and it does worry me in terms of what theafter sales service will be like.

By the way, on the tax issue, have you thought about asking if they will lend you a car? I had a similar issue in that my MOT was due to run out, and both Skoda and Lookers said that they would take the car when it ran out and lend me a car until the new one was ready (in both cases I would have been borrowing a car for a couple of weeks as I wasn't placing a factory order).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Privatedoc said:
my dealer was pretty straight about it, he rang round for best bids and gave me £250 more than that, says his profit margin is rubbish but I could have £250 effective discount, also chucked in the service package for free.

What a coincidence, that's what my dealer offered so I would
sign on the dotted line (additional £250 p/x but shown as discount off the up!
plus service package). <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

They had offered me the glasses guide part exchange value as
of April 2012 when I ordered my up! so 3 months down the line it was bound to
be worth a bit less, but the p/x price
was fixed .

They did complement me on the condition when I handed it
over as they rarely see p/x's in immaculate condition.

The tax was due at the end of July and it was due its annual
service in August

So all in all I thought it was a fair deal and not worth the
hassle of trying to get an extra couple of hundred quid on a private sale.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Snuggles said:
Tweeter, I am also buying from Lookers (different branch) and I also haven't had a great experience. In fact, I very nearly bought a Citigo simply because the sales staff at our local Skoda dealersip were 100% better to deal with.
Lookers initially offered me a stupidly low amount for my car and insisited they couldn't better it. They also gave me the hard sell on GAP insurance, GardX etc, and included them in the quote even though I said I didn't want them. I felt like the salesman was putting on a show, going off "to speak to the manager" all the time, trying to con me into thinking I was getting a good deal. I think they thought I loved the car so much that I would be stupid enough to just agree.

In contrast the Skoda people were so straightforward and not pushy at all -they even advised me not to spend too much on optional extras and accessories!! They offered me a really good price for my car straight away with no haggling. They were a real pleasure to deal with and I would have been happy to spend my money there, but unfortunately I just couldn't love the Citigo.

When I told Lookers what Skoda were offering, lo and behold they were suddenly able to match it. If they had been straight with me from the start, I would have ordered the car weeks ago when I first saw it. It does leave a bad taste and it does worry me in terms of what theafter sales service will be like.

By the way, on the tax issue, have you thought about asking if they will lend you a car? I had a similar issue in that my MOT was due to run out, and both Skoda and Lookers said that they would take the car when it ran out and lend me a car until the new one was ready (in both cases I would have been borrowing a car for a couple of weeks as I wasn't placing a factory order).

Well we like the Citigo just never tested it because one was not available to test and we were told that the wait was longer than the VW and she was the one who said that we would get the UP! quicker. But our experience was similar with Lookers but I think it will be the first and last time we use them.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
£250 is about the max you can get these days on an UP....now, if it was a phaeton.......well, they'd pay you to buy one!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I emailed my dealer who has said that my trade-in price will be fixed till pick up in september. And I can remove my tax disc and get that refunded. But I still have to check about gap insurance and see if I can budge them on that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts