Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather bored of my White Goods car and fancy something with a little character.
I've had hot hatches in the past (Polo GTI & Fiesta ST) but the little Up is intriguing.
Closest car to me is 1 1/2hrs away, so a test drive isn't too easy.
Just a few questions;
1. How firm is the suspension? The Fiesta ST gave me a headache and became unbearable.
2. How loud & what rpm does it sit at when on the motorway at 70-75?
3. Does it 'feel' special & fun? I've had Up courtsey cars and I like the quirkiness, but they weren't special.
(4. We have a newborn and imagien now and again may have to shoehorn her into the Up- what's a backwards facing seat like for space?)

Not sure if to persue the Up GTI, go back to a Polo GTI or go for something else.. there's just something appealing about the Up.
Insurance and tax are both lower than my very boring current car, so that's also a win.
Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
66 Posts
;
1. How firm is the suspension? The Fiesta ST gave me a headache and became unbearable.
2. How loud & what rpm does it sit at when on the motorway at 70-75?
3. Does it 'feel' special & fun? I've had Up courtsey cars and I like the quirkiness, but they weren't special.
(4. We have a newborn and imagien now and again may have to shoehorn her into the Up- what's a backwards facing seat like for space?)

Not sure if to persue the Up GTI, go back to a Polo GTI or go for something else.. there's just something appealing about the Up.
Insurance and tax are both lower than my very boring current car, so that's also a win.
Any help is much appreciated!
Went through similar after ten years of daily drivers being diesel

1) Its pretty firm and can be annoying if you are not in the mood, I would be surprised if it is less firm than the ST.
2) I do a lot of miles in mine and it is ok at 70-75 - I tend to sit at that sort of speed and it can drone a bit when climbing. Its livable. That said if you are in the mood for bombing along the outside lane at 85-90 it will do it.
3) Yes very - on the right road it really does feel very special, the lack of weight, especially at the front end really does set it apart.

Silly cheap running costs set it apart from the faster stuff. Where it not for that I would probably run an ST.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think the UP GTI is a great car, but to answer your points........................
1. It depends which car you are coming from. I had a Smart For Two. You got thrown out of the seat if you went over a leaf in the road, so after that the UP GTIs ride was like a limo to me. However if i had come from a Jaguar then it would have been a different story.
2.The UP GTI is geared at 25 MPH per thousand RPM in 6th gear, so 3000 RPM at 75 MPH or half the max revs of the engine red line which i think is good.
3. Define special? Again it depends what cars you have had in the past for your point of view.
4. I am single so cant help with that one.
For me the car looks good inside and out. The engine is nice and quiet, has effortless power in any gear and gets good MPG 50-60. I love it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all!
It does sound exactly like the sort of thing I want.
How firm the suspension is might be the only issue. I guess I could always sort the dampening & wheel size out if it's really unberable.
Think I'll take the plunge and get test drive in :).

·
Registered
919 Posts
Having had lots of hot hatches, including Golf Gti's 1 - 4, Astra GTE Mk 1 & 2, etc, can honestly say that the Up Gti is the best of the lot, including the Mk1 Golf Gti. It's also the cheapest to run by a mile.
Very quiet on the motorway at legal speeds, especially on cruise, but up a hill obviously the car has to accelerate to maintain speed, and you'll hear the Soundaktor. Once on the flat you're quiet again.This can always be disabled, either by unplugging it, or electronically by using VCDS or similar. Without the Soundaktor, the car is unerringly quiet on the motorway, just like My Mrs' Tsi 90 bhp.
Absolutely feels special. I have a 40 year competion history, and this is the best fun I've had in a road car for years.
It's a night and day difference from an ordinary Up, even the 75bhp High Up's.
Suspension is firm but not overly, especially if you drop the ridiculously high recommended tyre pressures to 32 30 or 30 / 28.
Certainly not like the Fiesta ST, which I tried and realised I wouldn't be able to live with, or keep my teeth for long..
I tried a Polo Gti, before I bought my Up Tsi (had one before the Gti came out), and found it utterly boring, with seemingly not as much room in the front as the Up.
Of course, it's all subjective and what you're used to, but I went into VW Up's (we're on our fifth), after about 20 years with Audi A4's and A6's, and at my time of life (65), having had a history of racing & rallying, needing something cheap to buy, run, and enjoy, it came as the perfect car at the right time for me.

Reactions: Sprotacus

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies- this is all the info I think I need.
Will get a test drive booked in and see what I make of it.
I think it has to be the GTI or nothing for me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks for the replies- this is all the info I think I need.
Will get a test drive booked in and see what I make of it.
I think it has to be the GTI or nothing for me.
I personally think the suspension is hard, it makes a lot of noise from the rear, thudding and rumbling when going over tougher ground or drain covers, a lot of people on here have noticed it and plenty of discussions about it. I’m taking mine into the dealer to see what they say about it as I don’t think it’s normal.
I lowered the tyre pressure to what was stated on the car door as the dealer had them set 3psi over, made a slight difference but it still bangs and crashes.
I had a high up tsi before And I will say the gti handle so much better, it’s firmly planted on the road and pulls really well, I like the sound of the engine too. There is a bit of road noise on the motorway especially from the rear as there’s a big lack of sound deadening but I wouldn’t say it’s tiresome. I think at 70 in 6th gear the rpm was around 2500.....I think.
mpg at the moment isn’t that great, I was getting 48 average in the tsi but only getting 36 in the gti doing the same journey every day. I’m hoping this will improve as only done 350 miles in it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
New owner. But.......
I’ve had the ST180 and it’s firmer harder and less well damped than the Up GTI.....Polo is quicker but less fun.
Yes it’s a firm ride but compliant and well damped. I’m on standard tyres which are horrible things but I reckon they won’t last long. Thankfully....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Excellent- thanks all! I’m pretty much sold on it to be honest. If it’s firm but well damped like the Polo GTI it would be perfect. The Fiesta ST was just too hard and made me wince over potholes.
I’ll get a test drive & keep an eye out for the right example now.
Any must have mod suggestions or is stock just right? Might shape which one I buy.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Excellent- thanks all! I’m pretty much sold on it to be honest. If it’s firm but well dampe like the Polo GTI it would be perfect. The Fiesta ST was just too hard and made me wince over potholes.
Any must have mod suggestions or is stock just right? Might shape which one I buy.
If you don’t buy a GTI you’ll be asking yourself what if ".....

·
Registered
108 Posts
Excellent- thanks all! I’m pretty much sold on it to be honest. If it’s firm but well damped like the Polo GTI it would be perfect. The Fiesta ST was just too hard and made me wince over potholes.
It’s not as well damped as the polo gti

·
Registered
592 Posts
Watch out for the test drive...
A dealer is more inclined to use full tyre pressure in order to impress a customer with the sharp handling ;) The idea of a good ride normally dawns on people only after they have had the car for a while.

In any case, you want one, so buy one, they are great little cars, whether 60PS or a GTi! You can sort everything out later with dampers and wheels!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
lf you really don't like the firm ride quality (l had no issues with our five door GTi) you can always change the wheels for 16"

VW do an alloy wheel which fits and with the resulting higher profile tyres the ride quality is improved.

Not sure if it affects the road holding/feel of the car etc but those who have changed their wheels say it's still fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good points, thanks again!
Not looking for the n-th degree in handling. Just something fun & a little special.

·
Registered
919 Posts
It definitely drops perfectly into that category with knobs on.......

·
Registered
108 Posts
lf you really don't like the firm ride quality (l had no issues with our five door GTi) you can always change the wheels for 16"

VW do an alloy wheel which fits and with the resulting higher profile tyres the ride quality is improved.

Not sure if it affects the road holding/feel of the car etc but those who have changed their wheels say it's still fine.
Big arch filling wheels look nice and is cool. Smaller wheels are much better in reality.. Only had my car yesterday but have driven over 200 miles and I’m happy with it 👍👍👍

·
Registered
553 Posts
I think it would be shame to change those beautiful OEM wheels so if comfort is an issue ( not for me) fitting 205/40/17 Michelin PS4 tyres would help.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Good points, thanks again!
Not looking for the n-th degree in handling. Just something fun & a little special.
I could probably give you a list off issues I have with the suspension, and wheel set up.. not enough sidewall, way to bouncy on humps and bumps etc, but when you really punch it down a good road it really grabs you and makes you smile, and that after all is what a warm/hot hatch needs to do.

I suspect its a bit of a marmite car for some.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts