Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BVG AUTOMOTIVE used cars in Lancashire

Looks like a bargain, but with a single and very brief reference in the description to “This vehicle is a Cat S due to light front bumper damage” !

In other words, a CATEGORY S INSURANCE WRITE OFF DUE TO STRUCTURAL DAMAGE !!!, yet the explanation is “light front bumper damage” !

The “S” categorisation stands for Structural, and of course no insurance company would write off and pay out on an almost brand new car declaring structural damage because of “light front bumper damage”

reg. YH19FHR.

I really hope that we are not soon to be joined by an unwitting new forum member !

·
Registered
105 Posts
In other words, a CATEGORY S INSURANCE WRITE OFF DUE TO STRUCTURAL DAMAGE !!!, yet the explanation is “light front bumper damage” !
I would stay away from this due to the "dodgy" description which immediately appears dishonest.

That said if you know your stuff and repair cars there could potentially be a bargain to be had. If you know what to look for, are happy buying a cat S car and could chip a chunk off the asking price then maybe.

I would be asking how long the repairs are guaranteed for and whether that guarantee passes on to you or future owners.

You would also potentially run in warranty issues with VW if there were problems and future resale value will be a lot lower.

I would like to think that all cat N and cat S cars are inspected by VOSA or some other government body to certify they are roadworthy but are they?

Horses for courses, it will find a home somewhere with someone who is prepared to take an gamble. I just hope they don't live near me!

·
Registered
958 Posts

It looked a bad crash to me!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Good spot Sir! Your narrative states three door which is clearly a typo given your thread title. Merely pointing it out as I've little doubt that you spotted this cars pre-repair state.

Sounds much more than 'light bumper damage' I fully agree.

It looked a bad crash to me!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Yes, sorry, was definitely a five door.

It had happened at a junction on the ring road where one car must have gone through a red light. The near side front of the up! was fully embedded in the off side front of the Juke. This was five months ago now but I certainly remember damage to the up! looking significant. Would be very interested to see the photos prior to repair!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I would be asking how long the repairs are guaranteed for and whether that guarantee passes on to you or future owners.

You would also potentially run in warranty issues with VW if there were problems and future resale value will be a lot lower.
I wouldn’t be asking anything !

An advert for a category S write off an a used car dealer being peddled as having had light front bumper damage is not only dishonest but nothing short of fraudulent. They are obliged to mention the Cat S in the description but have made it as brief (and as fraudulent) as possible in the hope that some naive, unsuspecting mug will skirt over that part.

If the car was being advertised for sale with full disclosure and for a much more realistic price is another thing altogether.

Unfortunately, it’s the practice of insurance companies selling written off cars to third party salvage companies that fuels vehicle theft, with identical or almost identical new or nearly new stolen cars being used as donor vehicles for all of the parts that require replacing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
An advert for a category S write off an a used car dealer being peddled as having had light front bumper damage is not only dishonest but nothing short of fraudulent. They are obliged to mention the Cat S in the description but have made it as brief (and as fraudulent) as possible in the hope that some naive, unsuspecting mug will skirt over that part.
If you feel strongly about it, why not report it to trading standards local to where the vehicle is being offering for sale.

"Full disclosure" and "the motor trade" don't go hand in hand sadly!

·
Registered
958 Posts
I think it's probably as clear as it needs to be, in the eyes of the law, although saying it has suffered light damage is obviously not accurate and doesn't align with the write off category assigned to it (unless my observation of the accident was worse than the reality). It's also quite clear on the AutoTrader listing that it is a category S.

Interesting thread a while back on PH about some guys wife who bought a Cat S Mini. Ended up that it had sustained a bit of a dint in the boot panel.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sometimes minor structural damage plus all airbags deployed can make a nearly new cheapish car uneconomic to repair and it might end up being written off as cat "S".

I also think the seller has complied with the letter of the law as they have confirned it is Cat S.

I think "light damage" means drastically different things to the general public buying a car than to someone in the trade buying and selling salvaged cars.

They probably bought it as salvage for 5.5k, spent 2k on it and are hoping for a 2k pay day.

There will always be a market for repaired salvage but you need to have your wits about you and make sure it's been properly repaired with a guarantee.

If this was the case and you are after a keeper and can get it for less £8.5k it's a good deal.

You pays your money, you takes your chances.

·
Registered
121 Posts
They are offering to show pictures of damage pre repair so any prospective buyer could see just how bad it was.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, HERE‘s what a few of this prestigious used car dealer‘s favourite customers have to say about them. There seems to be a common theme here with most of the cars they sell :unsure:

·
Registered
178 Posts
until I read this I was just thinking it was a light front hit and they had a old for new policy as the car was less than a year old.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts