Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently own a 2017 Golf GTI which, given the current state of the market I can sell it for pretty much (if not more) than what I paid for it 2 years ago. Due to Covid I now working remote full time and after hanging on to the Golf for so long, I'm finally at a point where I think I need to be sensible and downsize to something smaller and cheaper to run.

For the limited amount of driving I do now I think the Up GTI is a perfect fit, small, fun and still part of the GTI family. Found one for what I consider to be a good price so looking to pull the trigger. Is there anything that I should be aware of now that people are a few years into ownership? Any major sticking points or things to look out for?

Thanks

·
Registered
392 Posts
From my own experience:
  • tyre bulges or other damage especially on the fronts. Tyres are too low profile and the factory GY tyres have weak sidewalls. If you're unlucky the alloy itself will also have been bent out of true, though that will be hard to tell;
  • difficult to solve rattles and creaks from the rear. There are at least half a dozen possible known causes for these, some easy to fix and some not. Your life will just be easier if you can test drive over an uneven route and be sure there are no such noises.

·
Registered
392 Posts
On the subject of tyres, a car that needs new tyres may actually work in your favour if it brings the price down a bit. The car drives much better on 205/40 17 PS4 or similar, compared to the 195/40 17 "Deficient Grips" from the factory.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Currently own a 2017 Golf GTI which, given the current state of the market I can sell it for pretty much (if not more) than what I paid for it 2 years ago. Due to Covid I now working remote full time and after hanging on to the Golf for so long, I'm finally at a point where I think I need to be sensible and downsize to something smaller and cheaper to run.

For the limited amount of driving I do now I think the Up GTI is a perfect fit, small, fun and still part of the GTI family. Found one for what I consider to be a good price so looking to pull the trigger. Is there anything that I should be aware of now that people are a few years into ownership? Any major sticking points or things to look out for?

Thanks
Give me the car details and contact number and I will go check it over for you, and if I think it is a good un and a bargain price I will buy it for myself. Haha.Good luck, hope it turns out well for you.

·
Super Moderator
1,523 Posts
From my own experience:
  • tyre bulges or other damage especially on the fronts. Tyres are too low profile and the factory GY tyres have weak sidewalls. If you're unlucky the alloy itself will also have been bent out of true, though that will be hard to tell;
  • difficult to solve rattles and creaks from the rear. There are at least half a dozen possible known causes for these, some easy to fix and some not. Your life will just be easier if you can test drive over an uneven route and be sure there are no such noises.
I wouldn't say the tyres are 'too' low profile, the up! had 17" Polygon wheels with 195/40R17 as an option long before the GTI came along, and those owners haven't reported issues with tyre failure. It's purely down to the crappy Goodyears spec'd on the GTI. You don't see many issues once those are swapped out.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
But… best boot in class. Perhaps.
If you have to ferry a family around, say to go on holiday, it's a small boot. If it's for two people, or if you have access to another car, the boot easily holds a week's shopping, or bags for 2 on a break. The volume with the rear seats down is very good....

I had no problem taking a small fridge to the recycling centre (seats down), and with 2.4m long items like PVC pipes, from say, Screwfix. The car is a useful box-shape.

I no longer live in a town centre, but when I need to park in one, I have more options than most - I almost chuckle (my last car was a pick-up truck) - small boot helps!

I have taken 4 big adults on trips around Cornwall without anyone complaining.

·
Registered
392 Posts
For a trip away, it's amazing how much the boot will hold if you take out:
  • the variable boot floor and its plastic supports;
  • the wheel well cover (assuming you have a GTI with no spare wheel).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can't work out if I'm being a fool for buying used at this current time? Price on the Up for a 2018 with 12k miles is £13k, am I being an idiot?

·
Registered
670 Posts
In the 33 months I’ve had my car I’ve probably had the rear seats up twice for for maybe 30 mins each time .
Rest of the time seats are down giving a huge boot space with more space under the shelves.
Yes a family of 4 with luggage for a weeks camping might struggle but didn’t “Tootes “ on this forum go camping with his family around Scotland and managed ok ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In all honesty the space doesn't worry me too much. As long as I can get a weeks worth of shopping in it that will do for me! Only me and one passenger at this stage so no major need for space.

·
Registered
407 Posts

Thanks
The price of the Up GTIs have increased by I would imagine the same margins as your Golf. So wiping out any gains.
I advertised my GTI on here some while back for 12250. No takers. Ive been offered 13K for it by WBAC which is way more than I paid for it.
This may sound daft but I would sell my car now for that 13K but I won’t do business with those organisations.
It could be said of course I’m greedy wanting more for my car than I paid but of course any gains will disappear on the next car.

I won’t say that ive not been tempted by that offer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The price of the Up GTIs have increased by I would imagine the same margins as your Golf. So wiping out any gains.
I advertised my GTI on here some while back for 12250. No takers. Ive been offered 13K for it by WBAC which is way more than I paid for it.
This may sound daft but I would sell my car now for that 13K but I won’t do business with those organisations.
It could be said of course I’m greedy wanting more for my car than I paid but of course any gains will disappear on the next car.

I won’t say that ive not been tempted by that offer.
This is what's making me wonder, have they really increased that much? The beauty of my situation is I'm able to buy and not pay any interest on the Up GTI so I wonder if that might help me out in the long run?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Can't work out if I'm being a fool for buying used at this current time? Price on the Up for a 2018 with 12k miles is £13k, am I being an idiot?
The market price is what it is. If you can grab a brand new one on a reasonable timescale, through a broker like drivethedeal or a dealer who is willing to match a broker, then that might represent better value: £16k brand new must be a better value proposition than £13k at 3 years old, certainly, but can you get one.... ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The market price is what it is. If you can grab a brand new one on a reasonable timescale, through a broker like drivethedeal or a dealer who is willing to match a broker, then that might represent better value: £16k brand new must be a better value proposition than £13k at 3 years old, certainly, but can you get one.... ?
I did also think about this and even got a quote via a broker but not entirely sure what the lead times are like

·
Registered
407 Posts
My car is a 19 plate registered on the last day of July 19. 12K miles just. 13K would buy it. That is exactly what WBAC has offered. I can of course prove this very easily.
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Cloud

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
It's like house prices...
In a rising market, but one which clearly may not last, you are best off downsizing if you can, or want to, and pocketing any difference to spend on stuff more interesting or profitable (which is a whole topic in itself). A rising tide floats all boats....

In short, if you fancy a smaller car, buy an Up!, no matter what the new or second hand prices are, so long as you are trading down from something in demand.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's like house prices...
In a rising market, but one which clearly may not last, you are best off downsizing if you can, or want to, and pocketing any difference to spend on stuff more interesting or profitable (which is a whole topic in itself). A rising tide floats all boats....

In short, if you fancy a smaller car, buy an Up!, no matter what the new or second hand prices are, so long as you are trading down from something in demand.
I must admit, that is an interesting way of looking at it. Even with depreciation factored in I still think that with the mere act of downgrading, I'm saving on fuel, insurance and interest costs even if it is just for a short time. I also don't see the value of Up GTI's falling off that dramatically in 12 months?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts