Up Owners Club banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well this has only done 16k miles I think in 3 years so I don't see how it couldn't be close to perfect with that kind of mileage surely?
I thought you said it had done 12K miles ? The mileage is irrelevant these days when it comes to condition. As I’ve said previously there is little or no pride of ownership for many who look on these PCP deals as a rental. They have no large financial interest in the cars so don’t care.
I looked at several cars with sub 10K miles which were pretty shabby.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I thought you said it had done 12K miles ? The mileage is irrelevant these days when it comes to condition. As I’ve said previously there is little or no pride of ownership for many who look on these PCP deals as a rental. They have no large financial interest in the cars so don’t care.
I looked at several cars with sub 10K miles which were pretty shabby.
Some time ago I looked at an Abarth at CarShop in Norwich, low miles, described as perfect, exactly what I was looking for at that time, long drive to get there, car was perfect apart from the passenger door had I think been kicked very hard at some point introducing a light creasing in several places on the panel, car not perfect… had a drive of it anyway, talked prices, they were adamant it was perfect, had a free coffee, came home again.

More recently in 2019, CarShop Northampton, looked at and bought a BMW 1 series, noticed it had an alarm up on the dash for a bulb error, they said they’d fix it there and then, waited, waited more, they tried to hand it over still broken, I got really annoyed, rejected car, got money back and came home with existing car. Unimpressed.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Why not go on the web site "Heycar value my car" for a valuation. They use CAP HPI for the values.

Everyone talks about WBAC but i have found WIZZLE to be far better. I have mentioned this before but no one seems interested. It is free to advertise with them and only the trade will see the ad.

You get dealers offering money for your car and unlike WBAC you do not have to drive to a branch. Instead when you have picked the dealer who has offered the best price, the dealer comes to you, pays in full and drives your car away. WIZZLE is now owned by CARWOW.

As for the price of used cars at the moment. I have seen on AT, UP GTIs the same year as mine but with far more miles travelled costing £2500 more than i paid a year ago. If you deduct the £1500 mark up that dealers make i could still make a £1000 profit.

However i do not want to sell until 2024 by which time knowing my luck prices will be back to normal and the car will have lost thousands, but i will have had use from the car. Then again could i be tempted now for a straight swap on a new Aygo automatic? No i dont think so. A straight swap on a one year old Mini Cooper automatic? Then i woke up lol.
Thanks. I think I will try that.
I only mentioned WBAC because I think the valuation on my car is pretty fair. I could of course advertise it on EBay or Autotrader and may get the typical 14K the cars are advertised for. My only weakness is I can’t offer finance facilities or arrange PCPs for buyers. That said there it seems are plenty of buyers so I might try that.
The last month has been blooming awful here. I lost my best mate on bank holiday Monday last or I would have had the car for sale. Perhaps it’s time to kick the ball. 👍👍

·
Registered
407 Posts
Some time ago I looked at an Abarth at CarShop in Norwich, low miles, described as perfect, exactly what I was looking for at that time, long drive to get there, car was under perfect apart from the passenger door had I think been kicked very hard at some point introducing a light creasing in several places on the panel, car not perfect… had a drive of it anyway, talked prices, they were adamant it was perfect, had a free coffee, came home again.
I’ve done the same sort of thing. However I’m prepared to guarantee absolutely that my car is unmarked. It has no creases or door dings it’s not been driven along bushes it doesent even have swirl marks from poor washing techniques..
Doesent matter anyway it’s to far for our fellow member and having given it some thought I’m going to advertise the car for the same 14K ish similar or older cars are making on EBay and Autotrader.
So the car is no longer offered here 👍👍

·
Registered
407 Posts
I’m still in the market for another car, prices of all Up!’s seem to have plateaued for the moment. With GTi’s it’s the original lack of supply that’s kept things firm price wise. Whether the economic slowdown, the onset of Autumn/Winter, rising inflation impacting people’s wallets and raising finance interest rates, or heaven forbid ‘depreciation’ will slowly reduce values eventually. Who knows.

I am still carless, don’t directly need a car as everything is more or less within walking distance. Having been a bit of a Petrolhead probably since the mid 70’s it’s like some kind of mental torture. Equally I’m kept warm at night by the financial reserve ready to be allocated if the right car at the right price with the right spec should appear, however the longer you sit on it the more comfortable and less likely to spend it you become. At the moment two people I know have terminal cancer which really does remind you that ‘getting on with it and going out and enjoying life’ is important and very now… not tomorrow. Might not seem like it but for all of us the clock is ticking.

I tried another Caterham recently almost bought it but got the feeling that I was making a big mistake and that I might well be over that kind of thing now. So the future (I think) is a single car future, so I need to get it right and keep it forever this time.

Instead of a GTi I’m almost tempted to go the skinflint route and buy a Move/High Up! Bluemotion from 2012/13 with cruise/park, would get me around and with £0 tax cost just over £200pa to run before I filled it with fuel and serviced it myself but I’m haunted by the fact that the GTi is only £155
more than that.

I could pull the pin at any moment… or wait until the start of next month or the month after that or the month after that or… oh! its January already… might as well wait till March… etc, etc, etc.

Nightmare.

edit: Used values… perhaps not relevant but… feels like a car from another era now… look at the Lupo GTi, it was available in limited numbers albeit many less than the Up! GTi, I think the Up kind of trades off that in some way and long term (rightly or wrongly) a similar but lesser ‘holy grail’ status will apply to the cars and keep prices super buoyant. The many YouTube videos will keep advertising and maintain interest in the cars long after VW have stopped making them.
You sound a little stressed about it all…… Don’t do that cars ain’t worth that.

You mention freinds with cancer. I lost my best mate last holiday Monday. Bloody cancer took him at 60 years of age…. Every time we loose someone close and Mark was like a brother to me we re focus and tell ourselves things like “stop worrying” or “ life’s too short “ and we must make the most of every day because we never know when our times up. The ticking clock as you rightly say…….. Go and buy what makes you happy. It doesent matter what others think. 👍👍👍

·
Registered
380 Posts
I’ve done the same sort of thing. However I’m prepared to guarantee absolutely that my car is unmarked. It has no creases or door dings it’s not been driven along bushes it doesent even have swirl marks from poor washing techniques..
Doesent matter anyway it’s to far for our fellow member and having given it some thought I’m going to advertise the car for the same 14K ish similar or older cars are making on EBay and Autotrader.
So the car is no longer offered here 👍👍
Yours does look like a nice straight car and if it had cruise/park I’d be beating a path to your door myself. Having them fitted is basically £1k. Don’t want Beats as I believe you can improve the speakers (as others here have) to achieve the same result and still have a spare wheel or a big storage space.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi I have just bought a 68 plate from a vw dealer with the 2 year warranty etc. I payed 12350.00 it had 21000 on the clock but is it excellent condition. Just had it machine polished and ceramic coated and it really does look as good as new. Hardest part was finding one as I was going to buy new but wanted to test drive one and this one came up reasonably local. Had to put a deposit down just to keep it till I could test drive it. I did get mats and touch up paint and they serviced it and did the MOT before I picked it up so thought it was a reasonable deal as prices do seem to be going up.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi I have just bought a 68 plate from a vw dealer with the 2 year warranty etc. I payed 12350.00 it had 21000 on the clock but is it excellent condition. Just had it machine polished and ceramic coated and it really does look as good as new. Hardest part was finding one as I was going to buy new but wanted to test drive one and this one came up reasonably local. Had to put a deposit down just to keep it till I could test drive it. I did get mats and touch up paint and they serviced it and did the MOT before I picked it up so thought it was a reasonable deal as prices do seem to be going up.
I could put the feelers out to my local VW dealers but they are rather (how can I say this without being offensive) profit oriented, quite rightly I guess but I’d be placing my gentleman vegetables in their hands and where possible we don’t do that. :)

edit: And of course although very handy the 2 year warranty is a way of them securing ongoing service business so it’s a bit of a double edged sword, so given the reliable nature of the cars one kind of cancels the other out. So comes down to the value of peace of mind.

·
Registered
380 Posts
You sound a little stressed about it all…… Don’t do that cars ain’t worth that.

You mention freinds with cancer. I lost my best mate last holiday Monday. Bloody cancer took him at 60 years of age…. Every time we loose someone close and Mark was like a brother to me we re focus and tell ourselves things like “stop worrying” or “ life’s too short “ and we must make the most of every day because we never know when our times up. The ticking clock as you rightly say…….. Go and buy what makes you happy. It doesent matter what others think. 👍👍👍
Not stressed as such just had far too much time to consider things resulting in over ’anal’ising the subject or over analysing, one or the other or both. Lol!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I could put the feelers out to my local VW dealers but they are rather (how can I say this without being offensive) profit oriented, quite rightly I guess but I’d be placing my gentleman vegetables in their hands and where possible we don’t do that. :)

edit: And of course although very handy the 2 year warranty is a way of them securing ongoing service business so it’s a bit of a double edged sword, so given the reliable nature of the cars one kind of cancels the other out. So comes down to the value of peace of mind.
Hi
I won't be having it serviced by the main dealer. I have a mate who owns a garage he will do the servicing and update the online service records.

Mike

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi
I won't be having it serviced by the main dealer. I have a mate who owns a garage he will do the servicing and update the online service records.

Mike
That is also my plan once I get another, a step further though. As I intend this car to be one I keep and cherish for a looong time I will service it myself and keep meticulous records, receipts, etc. I have all the tools and equipment to do so from maintaining my various Caterhams and a previous work life, will buy VCDS or OBD11 as they could prove invaluable. If anything goes wrong that I can’t fix then I have a highly recommended indy less than 10miles away.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks. I think I will try that.
I only mentioned WBAC because I think the valuation on my car is pretty fair. I could of course advertise it on EBay or Autotrader and may get the typical 14K the cars are advertised for. My only weakness is I can’t offer finance facilities or arrange PCPs for buyers. That said there it seems are plenty of buyers so I might try that.
The last month has been blooming awful here. I lost my best mate on bank holiday Monday last or I would have had the car for sale. Perhaps it’s time to kick the ball. 👍👍

I am sorry for your loss. Yes we are all on borrowed time just passing through.

There have been some bad reports on here about WBAC. There price was not good for my Smart when i tried with them. However WIZZLE was great. I got 4 bids just two hours after i placed the ad and loads more over the next four days from all over the UK.

The best two dealers offered the same price, one in Birmingham and one more local to me. I picked the local guy and after a phone chat he increased his offer which was thousands more than some Arthur Daleys had offered. He came round the next day, hardly looked at the car, paid in cash and drove away. I immediately went to the bank to put the money away. A great deal done.

I hope you get the price you want for the car.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Some time ago I looked at an Abarth at CarShop in Norwich, low miles, described as perfect, exactly what I was looking for at that time, long drive to get there, car was perfect apart from the passenger door had I think been kicked very hard at some point introducing a light creasing in several places on the panel, car not perfect… had a drive of it anyway, talked prices, they were adamant it was perfect, had a free coffee, came home again.

More recently in 2019, CarShop Northampton, looked at and bought a BMW 1 series, noticed it had an alarm up on the dash for a bulb error, they said they’d fix it there and then, waited, waited more, they tried to hand it over still broken, I got really annoyed, rejected car, got money back and came home with existing car. Unimpressed.

But did you get a free coffee when you rejected the BMW lol?

Just like you i have always been a petrol head and always liked nice cars. However these days as well as looks i go for comfort more than speed. I like the Abarth automatic and a great sounding exhaust, but i could not put up with that bone shaking ride.

I could manage without a car no problem. I can get everywhere on the bus with my OAP Pass and use the train for longer trips, but i have always had a car and even though i only do 1000 miles a year these days and the car is sat idle most of the time, i still think the UP GTI is the perfect car for the job and i love driving it when i do.

You have owned an UP GTI in the past and i know you will not be happy with a lesser model, so buy an UP GTI and keep it as you say long term.

·
Registered
380 Posts
But did you get a free coffee when you rejected the BMW lol?

Just like you i have always been a petrol head and always liked nice cars. However these days as well as looks i go for comfort more than speed. I like the Abarth automatic and a great sounding exhaust, but i could not put up with that bone shaking ride.
It was scorching hot that day so I think I drained their water cooler, needed something to cool me off as I was incandescent! Useless bunch of morons.

Not sure about an Abarth auto, I think it’s the same as the Alfa Giulietta auto which I’ve read some things about, they are very twichy about battery voltages, the thing locks out and you get stuck in gear. Funny thing is it lets you start the car and drive off then after a few mins decides the voltage isn’t coming back up quickly enough and throws a load of codes/stops changing gear. Another odd thing about the Abarth is the steering feels dead in the centre, reminds me very much of that feeling just before a car either grips and goes around a corner or understeers and goes straight on. Whole package feels old and cramped compared to an Up! Quality is poor. Price is high.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Comments on this thread do make me wonder why I have a car at all, and I realize, it's just because I like cars, and enjoy the convenience....

My wife, who is very clever with money (I couldn't care about it) has told me that "if I could be bothered to do the sums", then not having a car at all would save a lot, even if we used taxis locally, for anything further than a walk. Being not unreasonable, she indulges me... She doubted whether I'd really get the use out of an Up! GTI and persuaded me to get a well-specced 75ps skoda instead (the GTI would have been 30% more), and that on the money we save, there'll be more to spend on an electric car another time, when they maybe become a bit more worth having (or unavoidable)...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Comments on this thread do make me wonder why I have a car at all, and I realize, it's just because I like cars, and enjoy the convenience....

My wife, who is very clever with money (I couldn't care about it) has told me that "if I could be bothered to do the sums", then not having a car at all would save a lot, even if we used taxis locally, for anything further than a walk. Being not unreasonable, she indulges me... She doubted whether I'd really get the use out of an Up! GTI and persuaded me to get a well-specced 75pd skoda instead (the GTI would have been 30% more), and that on the money we save, there'll be more to spend on an electric car another time, when they maybe become a bit more worth having...
Over the last year I’ve mulled that point many times, a post 2017 car would cost me £500 pa before depreciation, a pre 2017 one about £350. Mostly I’d use one for days out so applying those figures to train journeys you’d not get many days out for that from here.

·
Registered
360 Posts
It was scorching hot that day so I think I drained their water cooler, needed something to cool me off as I was incandescent! Useless bunch of morons.

Not sure about an Abarth auto, I think it’s the same as the Alfa Giulietta auto which I’ve read some things about, they are very twichy about battery voltages, the thing locks out and you get stuck in gear. Funny thing is it lets you start the car and drive off then after a few mins decides the voltage isn’t coming back up quickly enough and throws a load of codes/stops changing gear. Another odd thing about the Abarth is the steering feels dead in the centre, reminds me very much of that feeling just before a car either grips and goes around a corner or understeers and goes straight on. Whole package feels old and cramped compared to an Up! Quality is poor. Price is high.

I thought the auto box is an automated manual.

I did not like the seating position in the Abarth but the car does look good in Bright Yellow.

The Abarth and the Mini are around the same price, but for me its no contest. The Mini wins every time.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts