Up Owners Club banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. Yes we are all on borrowed time just passing through.

There have been some bad reports on here about WBAC. There price was not good for my Smart when i tried with them. However WIZZLE was great. I got 4 bids just two hours after i placed the ad and loads more over the next four days from all over the UK.

The best two dealers offered the same price, one in Birmingham and one more local to me. I picked the local guy and after a phone chat he increased his offer which was thousands more than some Arthur Daleys had offered. He came round the next day, hardly looked at the car, paid in cash and drove away. I immediately went to the bank to put the money away. A great deal done.

I hope you get the price you want for the car.
Thank you.
I’m not keen to sell to WBAC. I feel that in normal times when car supplies are not tight like they are now they low ball people. That said any of these businesses have to make money and margins must be very tight right now.
I’ve registered my car on WIZZLE in the recommendations here and already have an offer of 12800. I put my hoped for price at 14K which is I think way to high but it’s worth seeing what happens.
My car is retail ready. It’s been serviced and fully detailed within the last 100 miles and zero preparation work required. We shall see 👍👍

·
Registered
407 Posts
Comments on this thread do make me wonder why I have a car at all, and I realize, it's just because I like cars, and enjoy the convenience....

My wife, who is very clever with money (I couldn't care about it) has told me that "if I could be bothered to do the sums", then not having a car at all would save a lot, even if we used taxis locally, for anything further than a walk. Being not unreasonable, she indulges me... She doubted whether I'd really get the use out of an Up! GTI and persuaded me to get a well-specced 75ps skoda instead (the GTI would have been 30% more), and that on the money we save, there'll be more to spend on an electric car another time, when they maybe become a bit more worth having (or unavoidable)...
We have 4 cars and only I drive now. Utter madness I know but I just don’t either worry or care. Each car kinda has its purpose but in reality just one of the cars would meet all our needs. 👍

·
Registered
380 Posts
I thought the auto box is an automated manual.

I did not like the seating position in the Abarth but the car does look good in Bright Yellow.

The Abarth and the Mini are around the same price, but for me its no contest. The Mini wins every time.
It is an automated manual, it’s the gearbox ecu that gets all confused when volts are in short but not that short supply.

Having driven both the Mini and the Abarth I’d have neither. Abarth is more fun, Mini is more quality but they are known for many technical issues and like a BMW servicing schedule is designed to keep you spending money.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Cheapest of 30 GTIs on Autotrader is 14875……. Mad….

A few cheaper ones on EBay but they have a lot of miles. Well 30K average mileage for the cheaper ones.

Am I the only one who thinks mileage is very important ? Its always metered very much to me. A car any car wears its mileage.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Cheapest of 30 GTIs on Autotrader is 14875……. Mad….

A few cheaper ones on EBay but they have a lot of miles. Well 30K average mileage for the cheaper ones.

Am I the only one who thinks mileage is very important ? Its always metered very much to me. A car any car wears its mileage.
If you scroll further down there’s another 56. For some reason they are listed in 2 separate places on there. Also if you search using tsi you find an incomplete mix of the two.

·
Registered
407 Posts
If you scroll further down there’s another 56. For some reason they are listed in 2 separate places on there. Also if you search using tsi you find an incomplete mix of the two.
Right…. I just pressed the GTI tab 👍👍👍

This WIZZLE thing is interesting but a little confusing. I got an Email this morning telling me I had a better offer. So I clicked the tab that takes me to my dashboard to find an offer £800 less than the best offer.

I don’t think from what I’m seeing that WIZZLE will generate a better offer than WBAC. I think cars bought by these companies likely end up with the same sellers at the end of the day.

I wonder if buyers can see all of the other offers made by the other buyers ?

What this thread has highlighted to me though is how much these cars have risen in price. I can go comfortably below the prices older and higher mileage cars are advertised for and still get where I want to be 👍👍

·
Registered
703 Posts
For what its worth with WBAC. I have used them very many times, and never disappointed if you describe the car honestly. I used to always sell my cars privately as I keep them in mint condition, but the time wasters were just wearing me down. Then found WBAC about 10 years ago and have sold every one of our cars to them, all at a price I would have been happy to get selling privately. Not sure what the hate is with these companies, keeping folks in work and satisfying the need to get rid without the hassle. I should add that I have tried a few similar companies, including Wizzle, and the final price is never what they first offer. One chap from one of these companies travelled a 70 odd mile round trip on a Sunday morning, and it was obvious he had no intention of honouring the price. My car was still in my garage and I asked him if he could guarantee me the offered price before wasting anyones time, he said he could not even if my car was as described. I hunted him, and went with WBAC.

·
Registered
407 Posts
For what its worth with WBAC. I have used them very many times, and never disappointed if you describe the car honestly. I used to always sell my cars privately as I keep them in mint condition, but the time wasters were just wearing me down. Then found WBAC about 10 years ago and have sold every one of our cars to them, all at a price I would have been happy to get selling privately. Not sure what the hate is with these companies, keeping folks in work and satisfying the need to get rid without the hassle. I should add that I have tried a few similar companies, including Wizzle, and the final price is never what they first offer. One chap from one of these companies travelled a 70 odd mile round trip on a Sunday morning, and it was obvious he had no intention of honouring the price. My car was still in my garage and I asked him if he could guarantee me the offered price before wasting anyones time, he said he could not even if my car was as described. I hunted him, and went with WBAC.
I completely understand…. But things are different right now. In recent times WBAC have offered pretty low prices but right now they are having to step it up just to get stock. It won’t last of course. I certainly don’t hate those companies at all but I do have a certain level of distrust.

I see WBAC take 4 days to pay for cars they buy. Or we can pay fees to get the money sooner. Now whether we need the money sooner isn’t the point. But you try taking a vehicle away from a dealership or any garage without having paid in full……. Trust has to work both ways surely … It’s things like that that make me reluctant to do business with them.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
WBAC are very sensitive to cars in demand or not - if you don't have one, prices are dismal.
On the Up side.... I've already made the point....

·
Registered
703 Posts
I completely understand…. But things are different right now. In recent times WBAC have offered pretty low prices but right now they are having to step it up just to get stock. It won’t last of course. I certainly don’t hate those companies at all but I do have a certain level of distrust.

I see WBAC take 4 days to pay for cars they buy. Or we can pay fees to get the money sooner. Now whether we need the money sooner isn’t the point. But you try taking a vehicle away from a dealership or any garage without having paid in full……. Trust has to work both ways surely … It’s things like that that make me reluctant to do business with them.
I have been using WBAC for at least 10 years, as I mentioned, they have always offered me the price I would expect to get if selling privately. My daughters Vauxhall Meriva was a shed when I had it valued, more hits than the Beatles. Anyway, to save time, I never listed any of the exterior panel and interior damage when getting the online valuation. Got a valuation price well over anything I could have expected as I had valued the car with no damage, just under £4500 for a 5 year old Meriva that cost £9500 new, now had over 65,000 miles on it. I expected to get no more than £3500 when taking it in, and I would have been embarrassed selling it privately for that. Took it to WBAC in Hamilton and the guy only knocked off a few hundred quid for a car that had quite serious bumps and dings on it, and a significant one on the drivers side sill where it had hit a bollard in Sainsburys car park. Only saying that if you want an easy sale, WBAC are hard to beat.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have been using WBAC for at least 10 years, as I mentioned, they have always offered me the price I would expect to get if selling privately. My daughters Vauxhall Meriva was a shed when I had it valued, more hits than the Beatles. Anyway, to save time, I never listed any of the exterior panel and interior damage when getting the online valuation. Got a valuation price well over anything I could have expected as I had valued the car with no damage, just under £4500 for a 5 year old Meriva that cost £9500 new, now had over 65,000 miles on it. I expected to get no more than £3500 when taking it in, and I would have been embarrassed selling it privately for that. Took it to WBAC in Hamilton and the guy only knocked off a few hundred quid for a car that had quite serious bumps and dings on it, and a significant one on the drivers side sill where it had hit a bollard in Sainsburys car park. Only saying that if you want an easy sale, WBAC are hard to beat.
Ive put the car on WIZZLE for now. Not expecting much but no harm in trying. I will likely put it on EBay this coming week. 👍👍

·
Registered
360 Posts
Right…. I just pressed the GTI tab 👍👍👍

This WIZZLE thing is interesting but a little confusing. I got an Email this morning telling me I had a better offer. So I clicked the tab that takes me to my dashboard to find an offer £800 less than the best offer.

I don’t think from what I’m seeing that WIZZLE will generate a better offer than WBAC. I think cars bought by these companies likely end up with the same sellers at the end of the day.

I wonder if buyers can see all of the other offers made by the other buyers ?

What this thread has highlighted to me though is how much these cars have risen in price. I can go comfortably below the prices older and higher mileage cars are advertised for and still get where I want to be 👍👍

The E mails from Wizzle can sometimes be a bit late, so it was probably about an offer you already knew about.

I am certainly not on commission with Wizzle and can only speak from my own experience. I did use them before they were owned by Carwow. I am not sure if things have changed, but when i used them you could see the name and location of the dealer who made the bid and could contact them direct.

I contacted the dealer and after a brief conversation i got him to increase his offer. The dealer has to pay Wizzle £200 for each car purchased. The dealer came to my house the next day, hardly looked at the car and paid in full in cash.

People have different experiences with firms in all walks of life, be it with car dealers, Restaurants, Hotels, Shops etc. Just look at Restaurant reviews on Trip advisor. One says the best meal i have ever had. The next review says the worst meal ever. I would not give the food to a Dog.

I would use Wizzle again but i would probably contact the dealer who bought my car as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I thought the auto box is an automated manual.

I did not like the seating position in the Abarth but the car does look good in Bright Yellow.

The Abarth and the Mini are around the same price, but for me its no contest. The Mini wins every time.
You couldn't pay me enough to have another mini, bought a new one in 2014 and ended up just paying to hand it back early it was so bad (it was on pcp). Bought a mk2 golf to replace it and the build quality was far superior on the near 30 year old car and also had less mechanical problems with the golf than I did with the mini.

Agree with the Abarth seating position though, with the shape of the roof it feels like a much smaller car than it is.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
When did minis stop using the Brazilian-built Chrysler engine? (I think that's what they used to have!).

I think they now use a Peugeot engine, co-designed with BMW, which must be better?

Minis seem quite Maxi to me on both size and price, and many versions are ridiculously ugly, whether or not they are a good drive.

·
Registered
380 Posts
When did minis stop using the Brazilian-built Chrysler engine? (I think that's what they used to have!).

I think they now use a Peugeot engine, co-designed with BMW, which must be better?

Minis seem quite Maxi to me on both size and price, and many versions are ridiculously ugly, whether or not they are a good drive.
I think the present Mini engine is a BMW one, it’s the same 3 cylinder 1.5 that pops up in their 1 Series and other models.

I think history has branded the Mini as a small car, nowadays it’s anything but. Really it’s the same size as a Fiesta and something that I feel is a small medium sized car.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Ash, you got me looking - its turns out the Brazilian original (new mini) engine (Tritec) was abandoned in 2007, and replaced with a Peugeot engine (Prince). Some versions were fitted with the BMW valvetronic head. Since 2013, the BMW B38 engine (triple) has been used in two sizes and various tunes.

I digress - I'd rather have an Up or Citigo for my money.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Agree with the Abarth seating position though, with the shape of the roof it feels like a much smaller car than it is.
The seating position felt really odd to me, having always strived to sit as low as I could in any car I was piloting the Abarth sat you high up and gave me the feeling like that you get sat on a bar stool except you were doing 70mph. A side effect of the uprightedness is that your foot is then cranked at a more extreme angle to control the throttle… so on a long trip your ankle is stretched… and there’s no cruise control (it’s a long story… you can order it but the factory never fit it).
All this is sold as it being ‘Italian’ and quirky, I call it lazy design, it might have been designed in that country but it’s a product of Poland.

I’m not large but the car felt like it needed to be 10% bigger. A personal hate of mine is when sitting in either front seat, the door pillar being right next to your shoulder and in the 500 you are almost touching, in an Up because the car is wider there is more of a gap.

The new 500, the new new one is just the same size, I think their designers are in love with their own reflection.

Turned into a bit of a rant. Sorry.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The only Mini i would want is the latest 3 door hatch. The problems people had were with the old engines. The latest BMW engines i believe are ok.

I Test Drove 4 different Mini Cooper automatics at different dealers and thought the cars were excellent. The reason i did not buy was because of the high prices and pathetic sales staff. My UP GTI cost thousands less and was just as good if not better. I am just forward planning for my next car as i never buy the same car again without something in between as i like a change being a car nut petrol head.

The best Minis were the original Rover Minis. There were around 20 of them in amazing condition at the Classic Car show i went to yesterday in Lytham St Annes. It was a great show with at least 300 cars including Morgan, Mustang, MGB, Austin 1300, Austin Cambridge, Austin seven, Austin A35, Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Jag E Type V12, and a lovely Bright Red TR6 just like the one i owned. Made me very nostalgic looking at it and i was welling up thinking about the good times i had with the car and my family.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts