Up Owners Club banner
81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
The only Mini i would want is the latest 3 door hatch. The problems people had were with the old engines. The latest BMW engines i believe are ok.

I Test Drove 4 different Mini Cooper automatics at different dealers and thought the cars were excellent. The reason i did not buy was because of the high prices and pathetic sales staff. My UP GTI cost thousands less and was just as good if not better. I am just forward planning for my next car as i never buy the same car again without something in between as i like a change being a car nut petrol head.

The best Minis were the original Rover Minis. There were around 20 of them in amazing condition at the Classic Car show i went to yesterday in Lytham St Annes. It was a great show with at least 300 cars including Morgan, Mustang, MGB, Austin 1300, Austin Cambridge, Austin seven, Austin A35, Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Jag E Type V12, and a lovely Bright Red TR6 just like the one i owned. Made me very nostalgic looking at it and i was welling up thinking about the good times i had with the car and my family.
The 3 cyl BMW engine is pretty much without fault. Most issues on present Mini are electronic hardware and software related, there seem to be lots of them.

·
Registered
407 Posts
We’ve had two Minis. Both new First one we rejected and it was returned to the main dealer who persuaded us to have a Cooper S…. We kept it about six months then sold it..

Both cars were plagued with problems. It seems from friends who have Minis since they are still plagued with lots of problems. It’s a real shame as we liked the cars but couldn’t live with breakdown after breakdown,The cars were my wife’s cars and she was left stranded several times.

Anyway I’m wondering how the OP is getting along with the car I think he was going to view ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Looks like I missed out an awful lot on this thread but, I decided to keep the Golf for now. The prices of Up's that I was looking at seemed a bit excessive to me for what was on offer. I went and had a test drive however and omg was I blown away.

I've been driving this DSG Golf for the last 2 and a bit years which I love, but getting back into a manual and a manual Up GTI was a LOT of fun. I can see why people love them so much and honestly, if they stealers were willing to compromise a little more (and admittedly I was more willing to sell my car) I'd have snapped it up there and then, as that short 20 minute test drive was the most fun I'd had behind the wheel for a long time. But even with that said, when I got back into the Golf I was reminded why I chose it in the first place, it won me back over.

Thanks for everyone's help and input. Maybe I'll join you fellow Uppers one day!

81 - 84 of 84 Posts