Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, we have owned a Up Beats since 2017. It was registered on the final day before the tax change so still £20 for annual tax. It’s been a great wee car and after 18k relatively trouble free miles we are considering a GTI.
We currently run three cars and looking to go down to two. At the moment I have a BMW 2 Series company car, the Up and a 2006 MX5 for a bit of fun. The idea is to sell the up and the MX5 and replace with a GTI.
We did consider this idea before VW stopped selling them and am now struggling to justify paying anything like the £18k our car is going to cost. So currently looking out for deals. Anyone recommend a good dealership or had any success through drivethedeal or carwow etc?

·
Registered
597 Posts
We bought our Betas UP on the same day as you, also to avoid the tax hike. We were actually abroad at the time so did everything online. Anyway, I also almost bought a GTI before the price hike, and recently looked again, but no decent discounts at all. Carwow are a bit of a mystery to me, I have tried them for years, never once had a decent offer, some dealers even have the cheek to offer you at full list. WTF. When I ask them to explain the 'deal', they seem oblivious to the fact that people using these sites are looking for a discount on list, eejits!
Anyway, good luck, and keep us posted on how you get on.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The GTi is perhaps still in short enough supply to warrant dealers asking for list, a lot will depend on how desperate for business they are, some aren’t bothered if you walk away and don’t care, others do.
Finding the right dealer seems rather luck based.

Be lucky. 👍

Reactions: Sprotacus

·
Registered
751 Posts
Talk to Jade McGregor at Vertu VW Lincoln, we've had both our Up Gti's from there (the daughter and myself), . and the wife's Tsi.
Each time had a great deal, and a healthy discount from her..
That's not to say times and attitudes haven't changed with the introduction of a new model, but well worth a try.
They were the best deal by £500 when we bought each of ours, and I enquired on 4 of the UK dealers with the best name for good deals. Didn't approach Car Wow or any similar sites as they'd not been good before. I always prefer to go direct.The other three did make considerable savings for us over list,
Vertu VW is about 35 miles from home, but that wasn't a problem for us when you're saving a large amount on list price.
[email protected]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Talk to Jade McGregor at Vertu VW Lincoln, we've had both our Up Gti's from there (the daughter and myself), . and the wife's Tsi.
Each time had a great deal, and a healthy discount from her..
That's not to say times and attitudes haven't changed with the introduction of a new model, but well worth a try.
They were the best deal by £500 when we bought each of ours, and I enquired on 4 of the UK dealers with the best name for good deals. Didn't approach Car Wow or any similar sites as they'd not been good before. I always prefer to go direct.The other three did make considerable savings for us over list,
Vertu VW is about 35 miles from home, but that wasn't a problem for us when you're saving a large amount on list price.
[email protected]
Nice one, much appreciated(y)

I'll drop her an email 😊

·
Registered
140 Posts
There are loads for sale on Autotrader. 2020 models with less than 1000 miles for £16000,or 2019 cars with less than 5000 miles for £13500.
I bought mine for a lot less. It helped that i bought the car at the end of the month and the end of the quarter. I guess the dealer needed just one more sale to get his dealer bonus which can run into thousands.
I m sure you will love the car, as i do. Im amazed how quiet the car is when you are taking it easy,but when you put your foot down the car roars and takes off like a rocket.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Might be worth looking at a PCP deal, finance is often subsidised, a hidden discount which they wouldn't own up to on a cash deal. Also, on line brokers often have fixed discount deals which the dealers can't walk away from which means they will get 5% on, say, a GTI which they will pass on as part of a finance deal.
PCP's are good value and you can settle early or go the terms and then either give it back or pay the agreed final payment and own it, best of both worlds ?
Either way, a nice trade up ...............

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So after a bit of shopping around I've been given what I consider a decent offer on a factory order of a 3-door in white with a black roof, beats sound system and passenger seat height as the options. The discounted cash price is working out at £15900 and they will hold our trade in value of £5800 until the order is ready in 3-4 months.

It's amazing the difference from one dealer to the next as I asked about discount on a car that was in stock that was well over £18k with options and was told that they only make about £200 per car and they couldn't take anything off the price :rolleyes:

·
Registered
597 Posts
It's amazing the difference from one dealer to the next as I asked about discount on a car that was in stock that was well over £18k with options and was told that they only make about £200 per car and they couldn't take anything off the price :rolleyes:
Yep, some of them do talk absolute bollocks. Must think we are as stupid as them. Haha.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Finding the right dealer or even staff member within a dealership seems a real lottery.

A while ago I approached my local VW dealer, their service department is excellent… helpful staff who listen, sales however, perhaps just the one guy I spoke with but, the new Polo had just come out and I was genuinely interested, wanted a brochure... which they’d stopped doing (another excuse for an eco-message), asked if they had a demo car… no, will you be getting one… I don’t know, maybe, looked at trim and equipment specs on his computer but I could have done that from home and he told me that as if he wanted me to go away… so, I did. I felt he and they didn’t deserve my business. Even had to ask him for a business card rather than being offered one.

The world of car sales is quite transitory, salesmen seem to move around a lot, so quite predictably he’s not there any more.

My time wasted, a potential sale for the dealer lost.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes Car sales staff are mostly a bunch of jokers. You are prepared to spend thousands with them,but i get better customer service from my local newsagent when i spend 50p with him. I have sent four emails to two different VW service dept.re the auto door locking,and not had the courtesy of a reply from either of them. I did get an instant reply from an VW Independent when i contacted them,so i will use them as soon as the Warranty has ended.
As for we only make £200 on a car. I know the minimum mark up on used cars is £1500 to £2500. Yes out of that they have to pay rent and rates,staff wages etc,but they still make a nice profit. With new cars they make a nice profit plus a dealer bonus that is worth thousands if they meet targets.
Good sales staff are few and far between. There was a good one who worked for Smart from day one. He was from the old school of car sales,excellent,but retired long ago.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes Car sales staff are mostly a bunch of jokers. You are prepared to spend thousands with them,but i get better customer service from my local newsagent when i spend 50p with him. I have sent four emails to two different VW service dept.re the auto door locking,and not had the courtesy of a reply from either of them. I did get an instant reply from an VW Independent when i contacted them,so i will use them as soon as the Warranty has ended.
As for we only make £200 on a car. I know the minimum mark up on used cars is £1500 to £2500. Yes out of that they have to pay rent and rates,staff wages etc,but they still make a nice profit. With new cars they make a nice profit plus a dealer bonus that is worth thousands if they meet targets.
Good sales staff are few and far between. There was a good one who worked for Smart from day one. He was from the old school of car sales,excellent,but retired long ago.
I know a now semi-retired genuinely nice car sales guy from a car club I was in. He’d sold all sorts of stuff through the years, before he retired I think he was selling Merc’s and said a management change made it a not very nice place to work, suddenly unreachable targets given a limited number of buyers, he worked for a large instant cash buyer after that for a short while and said if you could help it don’t sell your car to them as it’s the least you’ll get, he now works part time at a small dealership for what was a local brand and is mentoring/training some new sales staff which gives me hope.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I suspect there is going to be a 'thinning out' process for car sales people, given the economic situation.

You might hope the good people would be the most likely to be retained, but sadly, the pattern that seems to operate, top-down in the UK is that 'reward for failure' is paramount, and the people accept it.

As for the "we only make £xyz on each car" idea, that is only half-true.... When I bought new cars in the USA, it was common for a dealership to produce invoices showing what they paid the manufacturers, as if to say they made almost nothing. Sadly, the paperwork did not include all sorts of manufacturer kickbacks for volume sales or quarterly incentive bonuses. I was told it was more 'tax efficient' to operate like that. I'd be surprised if UK dealers didn't have similar ways to make up their margins....

Remember kids, 'everything is fake' when it comes to making cash!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I suspect there is going to be a 'thinning out' process for car sales people, given the economic situation.

You might hope the good people would be the most likely to be retained, but sadly, the pattern that seems to operate, top-down in the UK is that 'reward for failure' is paramount, and the people accept it.
Absolutely. It’s the ‘lucky’ that will be retained and not necessarily the best or good.
As for the "we only make £xyz on each car" idea, that is only half-true.... When I bought new cars in the USA, it was common for a dealership to produce invoices showing what they paid the manufacturers, as if to say they made almost nothing. Sadly, the paperwork did not include all sorts of manufacturer kickbacks for volume sales or quarterly incentive bonuses. I was told it was more 'tax efficient' to operate like that. I'd be surprised if UK dealers didn't have similar ways to make up their margins....

Remember kids, 'everything is fake' when it comes to making cash!
Indeed, smoke and mirrors. All is not what it seems or appears to be.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think online sales will take over in the long run. The same as with supermarkets who do home delivery and online banking.
Loads of bank branches have closed down and i think loads of car showrooms will close as well. Why would they need vast expensive showrooms when they can sell cars online.
I bought my UP GTI online, the first time i have bought a car that way. I collected it from the dealers "Click and collect" department where the only staff needed are the handover staff to do the paper work,make sure you are happy with the car and take payment.
It was great not having to deal with sales staff. The next step in a few years will be the handover by a robot.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I think online sales will take over in the long run. The same as with supermarkets who do home delivery and online banking.
Loads of bank branches have closed down and i think loads of car showrooms will close as well. Why would they need vast expensive showrooms when they can sell cars online.
I bought my UP GTI online, the first time i have bought a car that way. I collected it from the dealers "Click and collect" department where the only staff needed are the handover staff to do the paper work,make sure you are happy with the car and take payment.
It was great not having to deal with sales staff. The next step in a few years will be the handover by a robot.
I have been doing likewise for years. Cannot remember the last car I bought as a result of a visit to a showroom salesperson. All done via email, and occasional phone call. Much easier to negotiate a better price. Some delaers though, like Peter Vardy, will not entertain this style of buying. No visit to showroon, no deal, as far as they are concerned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been doing likewise for years. Cannot remember the last car I bought as a result of a visit to a showroom salesperson. All done via email, and occasional phone call. Much easier to negotiate a better price. Some delaers though, like Peter Vardy, will not entertain this style of buying. No visit to showroon, no deal, as far as they are concerned.
I actually went for a job at Peter Vardy and met the man himself and they were all about moving to online sales. In fact they tasked me with coming up with a campaign to promote it. Although when I looked at how it worked on their website it all seemed a bit of a clunky process that people would be unlikely to use as you had no negotiation and just had to pay the full asking price. It might work for new cars with mobile phone like contracts but used cars less so.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I actually went for a job at Peter Vardy and met the man himself and they were all about moving to online sales. In fact they tasked me with coming up with a campaign to promote it. Although when I looked at how it worked on their website it all seemed a bit of a clunky process that people would be unlikely to use as you had no negotiation and just had to pay the full asking price. It might work for new cars with mobile phone like contracts but used cars less so.
Yes, the sticker price, even on new cars is not negotiable. They want you in the door to brainwash you into paying full list, then add extras and an extra admin. charge of £199. My brother got stung, went to one of their VIP events. Some VIP event, he paid full list for a Mokka, plus the admin fee. I was livid when I found out, he eventually got half the admin fee back.
Years back, I took my daughter there to buy a used Corsa listed for sale. Salesperson immediatelly tried to push extras , such as parking sensors extended warranty, etc. I made it very clear to him that we were not interested in anything other than the car at the agreed price. He persisted with the pressure tactics, even brought his manager over. Got up and left, taking my very embarrased daughter with me.
Was he related to Reg Vardy? He got done on numerous occasions for false advertising. I actually reported him on one occasion for advertising Fiat cars for sale at prices that did not exist when trying to buy one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, the sticker price, even on new cars is not negotiable. They want you in the door to brainwash you into paying full list, then add extras and an extra admin. charge of £199. My brother got stung, went to one of their VIP events. Some VIP event, he paid full list for a Mokka, plus the admin fee. I was livid when I found out, he eventually got half the admin fee back.
Years back, I took my daughter there to buy a used Corsa listed for sale. Salesperson immediatelly tried to push extras , such as parking sensors extended warranty, etc. I made it very clear to him that we were not interested in anything other than the car at the agreed price. He persisted with the pressure tactics, even brought his manager over. Got up and left, taking my very embarrased daughter with me.
At the time of my interview I did go along for a visit to a Peter Vardy car store and was uncomfortable with the way they tried to sell cars. It was all giant monkeys and balloons outside and then you had to get a 'guest' pass at the door. Then you were assigned a sales person as soon as you got in who were pleasant enough but it all seemed a bit desperate. As you can probably tell I didn't take the job!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts