Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our new 2020 Up Gti 5 door today so pleased with it, Handles like a dream, Within minutes of driving me and my wife had a huge smile on our faces, Its fully loaded only extra it does not have is a sun roof, Its good to be part of the Up Gti Club.

Do any Up Gti owners haves any tips on ownership?

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Osram Nightbreakers are the only thing I have added to mine.

And if you drive it a lot at night at this time of year the headlights get dirty and dim quite quick, so always worth having a roll of blue workshop roll handy to give them a wipe off.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Welcome to the forum, a name would be nice! Car looks lovely, very sharp in Black, next best colour after While 🙄🤣

Improvements are personal but lots of work has been done by other GTi owners. Expect a big list to follow. Meanwhile enjoy the car (as much as you can in Lock down 😒)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum, a name would be nice! Car looks lovely, very sharp in Black, next best colour after While 🙄🤣

Improvements are personal but lots of work has been done by other GTi owners. Expect a big list to follow. Meanwhile enjoy the car (as much as you can in Lock down 😒)
Haha, Name is Lance, Thanks for the reply, I think over time we will definitely like to make improvements mostly performance related love the growing tuning scene with the VW Ups, Thanks we will enjoy it for now during runs to work or grocery shopping can't wait for lockdown to end..

·
Registered
919 Posts
Only have that mod on mine, much better

Reactions: GtiUp2020

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Aluminium pedals are a nice cheap upgrade

·
Registered
72 Posts
The usual performance upgrades for the up gti...
  • Remap - most people go for JBS tunes, 140hp possible without any bolt ons. Or you can go for a tuning box with less of a gain if you want to easily remove when selling
  • Upgrade the crappy stock tyres to 205/40 Michelin Pilot Sport 4's - 10mm wider but fit fine, transforms the handling
  • Milltek exhaust, if you want the noise?
  • Get it on some decent coilovers
Then there's quite a lot of visual mods you can do to them:
  • 3D number plates
  • Ingo noak splitter and diffuser
  • Like mentioned above, MK1 Audi TT aluminium pedals are a straight fit
  • New alloys?
Hope this helps a bit.

Reactions: GtiUp2020

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've gone for the Audi TT pedals, carbon effect mirror caps, dynamic mirror indicators, interior LED bulbs, Osram Nightbreaker headlamp bulbs, a custom roof wrap to match the interior, vinyl overlay stickers for the GTi badges, a full ceramic coating and a custom wooden gear knob.

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
Racingline turbo elbow and panel filter with a APR remap gives shocking performance from a 1 litre! 1st thing we did and would do again is switch to 205/40/17 improves ride and handling massively.
Spacers make a big difference to the looks and how planted the car feels.
Vogtland springs are great around town but the shocks let the side down so if like us you don't like the massive arch gap I would say go straight to coilovers we have the new Up GTi specific version of Eibach pro Street S waiting to go on and have only heard good things.
Red GTi badge overlays including my favourite one on the steering wheel ezmods are better than some of the cheaper ones.. TT pedals and GTi door latch plates are both cheap worthwhile modifications. Key fob cover. Never had a VW before but it's brilliant how many little bits you can get to make the car personal to you.
I know it's not for everyone but none of what we have done makes the car look modified just how most people would expect a GTi to look from factory we've only ever had compliments about the cars appearance even from people who aren't into cars in the slightest.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Would also like to say that it's a great package as it comes from factory but that's no reason to not improve upon an already great car. The turbo elbow doesn't fit on the very latest cars!

·
Registered
592 Posts
They are just replacement bulbs....

But note that the rear end of high power LEDs contains a voltage regulator and a big heatsink, so check the space you have the rear of the bulb holder and compare with the dimensions of the proposed LEDs. The rubber seal may be an issues.The H4/H7 keyed fitting ring, depending on your car model, will be the same though. You can buy can buy Canbus-ready versions, but I'm not sure whether my model even has Canbus-monitored headlights! - GTi may be different though,

Stick with a known big brand like Osram/Philips et al as they are are more likely to fit, have a good beam pattern that will not "attract unwanted attention", and will be more reliable than a "here today, gone tomorrow" no-brand, some of which use borderline or reject LEDs.

The will not be E marked as mentioned, and the problem of telling your insurer is that you are basically admitting to them that you are fitting illegal bulbs, which they will have on file!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Easy to fit, will pass the standard MOT beam test after adjustment. The very latest H4 LED bulbs do a great job
As Freemansteve says, make an informed decision before you proceed, I did !

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just watched that LED video, some of the problem is not the strength of the beam but the cut off at the hard stop of the dipped beam. Going down to dipped beam on the original bulbs was occasionally scary on fast twisty roads. Its definitely better with LED or Night breakers but ideally you need to adjust the dip up a touch - I cant see how to do do this though. I looked when I changed the bulbs.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Do GTis come with single lamp units per side, with twin-filament H4s in each?

If some model versions do not have the twin-bulb headlights (i.e. fitted with 4 separate H7s like on my Citigo, which lights the road pretty well), is it possible to upgrade the lamp units?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great choice of car. Love mine to bits. I’m waiting for my front tyres to wear out before replacing all corners with Michelins. However in the meantime, I found that dropping the PSI has made a huge different to general handling, grip and comfort.
Mods should be subtle and tasteful, if any at all. Get a detailer to do a quality ceramic coating too - for black this is essential if you want to keep it clean in between washes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts