Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So have had my UP for a month or so now and I am still smiling, my commute to work isn't as boring as it used to be.

Not getting on with the Maps and more app, it is so temperamental, so I use auto connect instead. Any tips appreciated :)

Have managed to get a stone chip on the bonnet :cry: gutted but these things happen. Anyone used a good touch up pen or should I get someone who knows what they are doing on it??

All in all its a fantastic car and I have fallen in love with driving again.

I am looking at exhausts as I need it to sound outside like it does inside lol, didn't think it would bother me until my sons girlfriend turned up in her Fiat 500 Abarth!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Maps and More only lasted for 5 mins when I got my car - just felt laggy and nowhere near as useful as Android Auto so the app was uninstalled.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I never bothered with the Maps & More app.
In the series 1 Up's with the built-in Maps & More, I found it great, but my phone doesn't have enough stuff in it to work properly anyway. So I got a good Garmin satnav on a friction mount.

Reactions: Dizzykex77

·
Registered
427 Posts
Google maps is excellent and BCS make a nice exhaust system that sounds good without being annoying on the motorway from what I've read. Chipex is worth a look I've seen a few videos and if it works as shown it seems perfect for DIY.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'd recommend the Milltek Road+ exhaust. Perfect noise balance, not too loud on a cold start but sounds brilliant on full throttle

Reactions: Dizzykex77

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maps and More only lasted for 5 mins when I got my car - just felt laggy and nowhere near as useful as Android Auto so the app was uninstalled.
I l
Google maps is excellent and BCS make a nice exhaust system that sounds good without being annoying on the motorway from what I've read. Chipex is worth a look I've seen a few videos and if it works as shown it seems perfect for DIY.
Thanks I will have a look a chipex :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had two stone chips on the bonnet of my Red UP GTI from day one. I was going to touch them in but they are only the size of pin heads and can only be seen when your nose is almost touching the bonnet. I thought if i did it myself it would be a choice of stone chips or two blobs of red paint. It would probably stand out more than if i had left it.

I can just about see two tiny specs of white paint where the chips are, so its the undercoat not bare metal, so it will not rust, therefore i have left it. Lets face it, you could try to attend to the chip yourself or get a pro to do it and then the following week you could get another stone chip.

Most cars get stone chips. I always sell my cars to dealers and when i sold my last car a Smart, i pointed out the stone chips to the dealer who was not interested and said its not a problem. I still got an excellent price from him for my car.

·
Registered
427 Posts
As an alternative you could try turtle wax colour magic if they still make it?
I used it when I had a red Almera GTi it was very good at hiding chips

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had two stone chips on the bonnet of my Red UP GTI from day one. I was going to touch them in but they are only the size of pin heads and can only be seen when your nose is almost touching the bonnet. I thought if i did it myself it would be a choice of stone chips or two blobs of red paint. It would probably stand out more than if i had left it.

I can just about see two tiny specs of white paint where the chips are, so its the undercoat not bare metal, so it will not rust, therefore i have left it. Lets face it, you could try to attend to the chip yourself or get a pro to do it and then the following week you could get another stone chip.

Most cars get stone chips. I always sell my cars to dealers and when i sold my last car a Smart, i pointed out the stone chips to the dealer who was not interested and said its not a problem. I still got an excellent price from him for my car.
I normally wouldn't bother as you say most cars have them, but this one is down to the metal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The paint on my GTi is one of the worst things about the car. A passing bird crapped on it last year and it completely destroyed the paint, even though it was only on the car for about an hour. Yet the birds have been using my wife's Nissan for target practice on a regular basis for the last decade or so, without anything to show for it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Colour matched touch up kit Halfords. They have all the main VW colours. Do it sharpish if it's down the the metal. As soon as rust gets in you're looking at a bigger job to put right.

Maps: Google maps with phone in cradle. Free and what it was designed for.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Paint has damaged really quickly on mine where I put on and remove the roof bars. No great surprise because I am a bit of an oaf and usually don't bother trying to get sand etc. Shame you couldn't spec slim rails Mini do.

I also do 30k a year (non covid) and have long since stopped gaf about chips - ignore it and free yourself of the stress - its been designed to be thrashed not polished!

Maps and more got boring real quick.

·
Registered
203 Posts
dealer for a touch up pen,sometimes found on the bay.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Stick to a dealer touch up. I've found that the ones made up by the Ebay sellers can be shades out. Just bought one for mine £13.95 from local VW Dealer

·
Registered
917 Posts
If you are literally "down to metal", I assume you'd need some kind of cathodic/zinc primer, (after a clean up), or else won't the paint just bubble off quite quickly? I haven't done this for 6-7 years and maybe paint touch ups have improved, perhaps?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
No, you're right. A good clean up of the bottom of the chip (base metal), then best would be an etch primer, then an ordinary primer, then the white.. I find a drop of paint on a cocktail stick the best.
Just one drop, enough to cover the bottom of the chip. Let it dry, then another drop of primer, allow to dry, then a drop of paint, each time ensuring there's enough in the "drop" to cover the crater. Then just build up the white until it's slightly under the surface,last bit being drops of laquer, build up to being just proud of the surface. Let dry for a week or so, then buff back.
Don't use the brush supplied in the touch-up pen, it's too big and the result will look unsightly..

Reactions: Sean66

·
Registered
594 Posts
No, you're right. A good clean up of the bottom of the chip (base metal), then best would be an etch primer, then an ordinary primer, then the white.. I find a drop of paint on a cocktail stick the best.
Just one drop, enough to cover the bottom of the chip. Let it dry, then another drop of primer, allow to dry, then a drop of paint, each time ensuring there's enough in the "drop" to cover the crater. Then just build up the white until it's slightly under the surface,last bit being drops of laquer, build up to being just proud of the surface. Let dry for a week or so, then buff back.
Don't use the brush supplied in the touch-up pen, it's too big and the result will look unsightly..
That’s good advise big thumbs up (y)
On the subject of maps & more the best thing to do with it is delete it . It’s crap .

·
Registered
427 Posts
It won't rust the panels are galvanised you can get cheap primer touch up pens it would need to be the tiniest amount though

1 - 20 of 27 Posts