Up Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

2016 VW UP! Recently had a punctured front left tyre. Replaced it with the spare and was on my merry way.
A low tyre pressure warning illuminated. I suspected these two instances were probably related, so went to get the tyres pumped up.

Per the specification on the door...

Front tyres: 33 PSI
Back tyres: 30 PSI

The warning light remains present after pumping them to the factory recommendations. Not sure why this is.
P.S. I'm an experienced driver of 3 months and this is my first car. :LOL:

Aidan

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Presume you have pressed the re-set button since you blew the tyres up ?
If not, the first time you go in the car again, switch the ignition on, & hold the reset button down on the front of the centre console. Hold it down until the light goes off.....Job done

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Presume you have pressed the re-set button since you blew the tyres up ?
If not, the first time you go in the car again, switch the ignition on, & hold the reset button down on the front of the centre console. Hold it down until the light goes off.....Job done
I did do that yeah, but the light persisted after pushing it.

I'l try holding it down for a longer period of time tonight. Thanks x.

Aidan

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Yes, you need to hold it down for a good few seconds until it goes off.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
The wheel and tyre combinations on you car may now have slightly different rolling radii* - if you are using a space saver or some other spare wheel. If so, tyre pressures may be fine, but adjusting may not cure the problem (may not be a problem!)

Please verify the information on three of your tyres to us, compared with the spare. Hopefully I'm not being patronizing: I'm talking about the numbers written on the tyre sidewalls, e.g. 185/50 R16 (in my case, but yours likely be different).

*the tyre warning system averages out pulses from the ABS sensors to decide if a wheel might be turning faster or slower (over a fair distance) compared with the others. If so, the light comes on to get you to check. It will come on for sure if you replace a badly punctured tyre for a brand new, but identical one, it the other three have worn down a bit. (i.e. different rolling radii).

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have the same issue at the moment, sometimes its says the sensor is unavailable or some such. Its due a service so am going to get them to look.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Since the TPMS is run of the ABS sensors, the problem could lie there. Or a dirty or corroded reluctor ring. All assuming everyone is sure their tyres have the same rolling radii.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts