Up Owners Club banner

Low Tyre Pressure Warning not turning off

7K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  911ts3 
#1 ·
Hello,

2016 VW UP! Recently had a punctured front left tyre. Replaced it with the spare and was on my merry way.
A low tyre pressure warning illuminated. I suspected these two instances were probably related, so went to get the tyres pumped up.

Per the specification on the door...

Front tyres: 33 PSI
Back tyres: 30 PSI

The warning light remains present after pumping them to the factory recommendations. Not sure why this is.
P.S. I'm an experienced driver of 3 months and this is my first car. :LOL:

Aidan

#2 ·
Presume you have pressed the re-set button since you blew the tyres up ?
If not, the first time you go in the car again, switch the ignition on, & hold the reset button down on the front of the centre console. Hold it down until the light goes off.....Job done

#4 ·
Yes, you need to hold it down for a good few seconds until it goes off.

#5 ·
The wheel and tyre combinations on you car may now have slightly different rolling radii* - if you are using a space saver or some other spare wheel. If so, tyre pressures may be fine, but adjusting may not cure the problem (may not be a problem!)

Please verify the information on three of your tyres to us, compared with the spare. Hopefully I'm not being patronizing: I'm talking about the numbers written on the tyre sidewalls, e.g. 185/50 R16 (in my case, but yours likely be different).

*the tyre warning system averages out pulses from the ABS sensors to decide if a wheel might be turning faster or slower (over a fair distance) compared with the others. If so, the light comes on to get you to check. It will come on for sure if you replace a badly punctured tyre for a brand new, but identical one, it the other three have worn down a bit. (i.e. different rolling radii).

#7 ·
Since the TPMS is run of the ABS sensors, the problem could lie there. Or a dirty or corroded reluctor ring. All assuming everyone is sure their tyres have the same rolling radii.

#8 ·
During the recent spell of cold weather the TPMS warning light has come on twice. On both occasions I have checked the tyres later and the pressures are correct. I have reset the TPMS.

Can extreme low temperatures reduce tyre pressures and cause the warning light to come on? A bit like the opposite of a hot tyre increasing the pressure inside. I have new tyres all round.

#9 ·
The extreme cold reduces the rolling radius of the tyres a little. Different front to rear pressures or tread wear can mean they don't all change by exactly the same amount, so it's possible this is detected by the TPMS. AFAIK, all it does is count pulses from the ABS sensors and keeps a running average for each wheel, and a small change of readings compared with that average, by one or two wheels, may be enough to trigger a warning. Just guessing here.....

Reactions: 911ts3
#10 ·
You're right Steve. I have had mine go off when a bigger than average pal has sat in the back of my Gti for a short journey. All tyres at the same pressure. A quick re-set always has solved it.
He got some stick...

Reactions: freemansteve
#11 ·
I've had the warning a couple of times, but I think I had to stop, ignition off and on, before I could cancel it using the button; couldn't do it on the move, even though TP was fine (as I found out when stopped). Or have I just a false memory of this?

#12 ·
Once again, even at your age, your memory is good. To re-set, you have to stop, ignition off, re-start, then press and hold the re-set button for around 5 seconds.

Reactions: freemansteve
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.