Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all pictures on lowered Ups around here I can't sit around with factory standard, can I.
BUT, I don't want as low as 35mm because I still want my kids, wife and dog to have somewhat comfort in the back while driving (or is it okey comfort with 35mm?). So I stumbled upon these lowering springs from Eibach which is 20/25mm. More than the original sport suspension but
less than the usual 35mm. What do you think, will it look good with some 16-17" alloys? Will it
be okey comfort? Or is it just a waste of money?

And how will it be if it's lowered more in the back than in the front?

I don't want to be laughed at if I decide to go to a VW meet or something like that :D

http://www.heltuning.com/volkswagen-up-11-front-and-rear-pro-kit-lowering-springs-by-eibach.html

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I don't think you'd even notice 20mm! Personally, I think the 35mm springs are barely noticeable.
In your position, if happily use 35mm springs. No worries at all.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! So... 35 it is then :) After all, I can always switch back if I'm not satisfied.
Everyone elses with 35mm seemed so low so I just figured that it would be a hard ride.

Edited by: eightbits

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have the standard sport suspension (-15mm), the ride hardness is the same as in friend`s Opel Astra lowered till ~60mm clearence. Ok, different wheelbase lenght counts, but I guess the ride in lowered Up`s rear seat will be pretty hard anyway if You lower it from the standard/ comfo suspension.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think the ride in a standard up is quite harsh anyway.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Nothing is as harsh as the ride must be on my back seat right now, the rear spring as essentially at full compression all the time, with no adjusters and sat on the factory cups. The damper must be almost at full too :-/
That coupled with the 185/35s on my 17x8s - at 50psi, and running over an ant is almost enough to shatter your spine.
That said. People don't go in the back. Oh no. That's off limits incase it makes the tyres scrub.
But I wouldn't have it any other way :)

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
My up! really doesn't ride that harshly, I think the Weitecs offer a good compromise in ride quality. Certainly there's enough movement for the rear tyres to scrub even with about 15mm of clearance at rest.

I'm not sure why you're running 50psi in your tyres. Just because it needed a higher psi to pop the bead on, doesn't mean you need to retain that psi to keep it seated. Usually after the bead pops on, you bleed the air back out the tyre to the required pressure.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
If I'm honest, I just haven't got round to doing it! I only intended to leave that pressure in there for a couple of days most. The guy that fitted my tires recommended I did as the sidewall on the tire is particularly stiff, and it could use that time to soften up and adapt to the stretch, so to speak. As when he bled the air back out they popped off the bead again. They should be absolutely fine by one though if imagine. Not that stops me from worrying tho! I'd go nuts if I even scratched one of those lips!

·
Registered
75 Posts
35mm is a **** of a difference when it comes to handling. I've also found that it does make the ride a lot more stiffer. Nothing compared to coils but stiffer than the standard springs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts