Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Since my ecoup! has already 1350 km/850 miles it's time to do some lowering….. :surprise:
H&R lowering springs (lowering the car 35mm/1,38 inch) VS KW Variant 1 (lowering the car from 30mm/1,18 inch up to 60mm/2,36 inch).
More for looks as we all understand.....:grin:
Photos, advices, suggestions, tips are all welcome.
Cost is not an issue.

Some car info...
Car is running on Speedline Comp 2 (14x6 - ET28)
The gap between tires and fenders is 60 mm/2,36 inches at the front and at the rear.

Let me read you.............

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thank you Piotr_1.

So for the lowering you wanted at most 35mm.
How much did the comfort change?

Quite much, especially for older person. They are hard, especially rear ones could be softer, assuming you are not carrying passengers often. On the other hand they give you high safety margin before breaking the suspension on bad roads, at high speed (you can drive fast and this is more fun than with too soft springs). I don't believe in coilovers much. Spring compressing isn't best regulation method. It's killing initial suspension sensitivity. Spring perfectly matched for your needs is always the best solution. More expensive coilovers give you compression and rebound damping regulation. This may be interesting if you need settings for racing and settings for the street, but most people will be using it wrong, because this requires some more knowledge.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The best springs i discovered, both for ride height and quality, are manufactured by the German company Vogtland.
When i did own my Abarth 695, i was told that Eibach's were the best choice, for ride height and fitment, but i saw that a few German owners of the car, had used Vogtland springs.

They were nearly £80 cheaper than the Eibachs, and the ride height was incredibly low, but the suspension never crashed or bottomed out.

You could barely place two fingers on the front suspension, and two and a half on the rear.

They lowered the car by over 20mm, and for some, the ride height would have been too low, but thankfully, i never had to drive the car over any speed ramps to prove it.

Combined with the Koni FSD shocks, the car handled incredibly well, and would take corners at insane speeds.

Ive not checked whether Vogtland do a spring set up for the Gti, but if they do, they come highly recommended, for German quality and over all ride height, and being a less well known company than Eibach , are usually a more affordable option for those on a tight budget.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had many springs and shocks in other cars in past and I trust H&Rs most. I had Bilsteins B4, B6, B8, complete HR Cup kit with Koni shocks, Kayabas also. I am staying with HR springs and B8 shocks. This is sports setup. If there are perfect coilovers for -30..-60mm range they should be working best at -45mm, because there is no such thing as perfect spring to cover all the range perfectly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

Anybody with coilovers?

Anybody that was on coilovers and went to lowering springs or vise - versa?

·
Registered
190 Posts
My Take Up on Bilstein B14 coil overs. Was on stock suspension before.

Just lowered enough so it looks right, and not obviously slammed or anything. Normal driving feels no less comfortable than previously. You notice the extra stiffness when going over speed bumps. But when cornering progressively on a B road, you can really appreciate the extra sportiness that they provide.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
My Take Up on Bilstein B14 coil overs. Was on stock suspension before.

Just lowered enough so it looks right, and not obviously slammed or anything. Normal driving feels no less comfortable than previously. You notice the extra stiffness when going over speed bumps. But when cornering progressively on a B road, you can really appreciate the extra sportiness that they provide.
I like the wheels! Are these 7x16 Sparco Terra? Or 17inch? Sorry for the OT.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got FK Automotive coilovers on mine. They are pretty budget and only height adjustable, but they do exactly what I wanted. I'm running 16" 7.5j wheels with 205/45R16 rubber and it never rubs in the front with +/- 15mm wheel gap. Granted the rears can come a lot lower than what it is currently.

All that being said I would have liked to have a some dampening because it does get a bit bouncy if the terrain is a tad rough, otherwise it's doing a pretty good job.

The only reason I got coilovers over the Eibach 35mm springs is that I wanted it lower than 35mm. If you planning on adjusting the height every so often, get coilovers, if you happy with just 35mm lowering and don't need the adjustment then springs will work. This is my opinion, might be a bit long but I hope it helps or gives someone else some clarity.
🏽

1 - 11 of 11 Posts