Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has is a mechanic and has gave me some lowering springs, they lower the rear by by 55 and the front by 45, will this cause any problems? My wheels come out the arches a little bit but im running stretched tyres. Will i need to do anything to the arches?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I would have thought you'd be ok? Have you got them on now? If so, do they foul the arches? What size wheels are they?
Also, just out of interest, what springs are they and do you have pictures of the car?!

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
As these are not Up! springs [no-one currently offers lowering springs greater than 35mm], you need to find out what car they were designed to fit, as the spring rates may be all wrong for the Up!.

You could find yourself with a very harsh and bumpy ride if they are supposed to be fitted to a much heavier car, say a Golf or Audi A4 for example.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think they are from a seat ibiza, he says they will fit but im looking for a second opinion on wether it will be okay

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And they are 15x7 on the front with a 20 offset and 15x8 on the back with a 15 offset with 165/65/15s on. They are apex springs but they aren't on yet. Il get a picture up as soon as i can get hold of a camera

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Ibiza isn't 'that' much heavier, so the ride should be only a little stiffer than if they were fitted to an Ibiza. However you now need to be sure that the diameter of the locating ends of the springs match those of the up!, particularly the rear as they are 'beehive' shaped [coils at each end smaller in diameter to centre coils].

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortuantly i decided against fitting the seat ibiza springs due to the spring rate, however im looking for a greater drop than 35mm and i am not prepared to fork out 750 pound for a set of coilovers, i have been looking into lupo springs, the weight of the lupo is only 5kg heavier so id imagine the spring rate would be fine. However im not sure if they would fit, does anyone know if they would fit or how to tell?

·
Registered
229 Posts
<a href="http://demontweeks.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">

demontweeks.com</a> makes custom springs to your specification, dont be a fool and mess about with springs meant for other cars, do it right the first time and dont look back.
Edited by: Collas

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<a href="http://www.coilsprings.co.uk/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">
http://www.coilsprings.co.uk/</a> however have quoted me 160 for custom springs
Edited by: Collas

·
Registered
145 Posts
Same, so glad someone found cheaper way of lowering the up!
but I'm not sure if i can trust that website?doesn't lookprofessional and the email they sent medefinitely wasn't professional. Sounds a bit too good to be true If I'm honest
unless someone has had some previous dealings with them?

·
Registered
229 Posts
This option isn't to lower the car as much as coilovers, you can only lower a certain amount until your actually shocks bottom out

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah thats true, the lad needed a me to semd my own springs in to make them, after all this iv just ordered some coilovers as it seems the easiest way! Thanks for all the help though everyone!

·
Registered
124 Posts
With the state of UK roads I would have thought highering the car would be more benificial than lowering it.What on earth do you want to lower it for.

·
Registered
229 Posts
collos25 said:
With the state of UK roads I would have thought highering the car would be more benificial than lowering it.What on earth do you want to lower it for.

It makes it easier to clean the roof.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Lambo-27 said:
collos25 said:

It makes it easier to clean the roof.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts