Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are some sh*tty banner adds on this forum! Meet pretty chineese girls, date Arab girls. Ect ect.. I'm sure they are very nice girls, but I don't need it in my face! ( no pun intended )

I appreciate that's it's a free site etc and banners pay for running costs, it's just a shame they have to be crappy.

Just my opinion...

·
Registered
421 Posts
I had date Iranian Babes earlier but now it's value my carEdited by: ZumbaQueen

·
Registered
212 Posts
They seem a bit random to me but mostly car related although I did have one earlier about senior dating!

"Hi, I'm Jeanetta, you may have seen me on senior dating".

No, I thought, I don't recall ever visiting such a site. Should I wish to do so I wouldn't expect there to be a search option that includes selecting the number of branches hit on the way down, selecting all but one and then you appearing on my screen.

Hey, it's Jeanetta! Wonder who'd I'd got if I'd selected all branches!

I'm sure she's a lovely woman and I'm no oil painting by the way
but they are a bit random.

Half price sky and we buy any car on my page at the moment.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've been looking at holidays in the Canaries and Converse trainers for my daughter tonight - funnily enough,thats what my banners are!!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Rednaxela said:
There are some sh*tty banner adds on this forum! Meet pretty chineese girls, date Arab girls. Ect ect..
As I found out banner ads are individual based on your internet viewing habits (see my banner ad thread). View websites selling wheels, see banner ads advertising wheels. Now, I wonder what kind of sites you have been visiting lately..?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yes banner adverts read the cookies stored on your PC and then show you relevent and focused adverts. Searching in google for budgie feed... You we banners for budgie shows, bell and mirrors, look at ladies undies, trying to buy the wife a lovely birthday present, you see lingerie banner adverts.

Now this is why the law has recently changedf re cookies being put on your PC by the websites you visit. Many say it's an invasion of privacy. You will see many sites have a more prominent cookie warning from now on, however to meet the exact wording of the law, each and every European based website(doesn't include the rest of the world) should have an opt in/out cookie warning.

This could be a drop down, or pop up type of thing, but trust me the web is going to become a much more frustrating place.

You will continually having to say I agree or disagree to cookies on every new site you go to. Many sites require cookies to function (shop basket items are stored in cookies in most e comm websites) to this end a number of websites, should you say, no I don't want cookies, put you straight back to google!

Most websites use cookies to 'track' the visitor to find out about a website users habits. How do the visit the shop and move through the buying experience. Where are thier visitors coming from, are they target people who want to use thier website or are visitors, arriving and leaving straight the way because it's not about what they thought...

Cookies are not necessarily a bad thing, they are there to help people tailor the web experience to make it more personal and effective to the individual.... However when the general website user is asked the question, do you wish to use cookies, so that the above can be done most say, no, don't use cookies... That is where the problems will begin... A lot of stuff on the web will not work without cookies unfortunately.Edited by: Markmod1

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for that explanation Mark, I chuckled when I discovered they are based on my surfing habits.. ( don't tell the wife lol ) honest to god, I was only looking for home help!

Can't you tell browsers to delete all cookies after each session to get around it? I shall investigate on my iPad (until my wife takes it away from me)

·
Registered
604 Posts
if you are
planning to visit site you would proffer people not to know about you can click
on the setting
dropdown thing in the toolbar at the top of your web page in their you should
find safety hover
over this and you will find InPrivate
Browsing
this blocks all cookies and your sites visited will not go in your history

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
vwild1 said:
Rednaxela said:
There are some sh*tty banner adds on this forum! Meet pretty chineese girls, date Arab girls. Ect ect..
As I found out banner ads are individual based on your internet viewing habits (see my banner ad thread). View websites selling wheels, see banner ads advertising wheels. Now, I wonder what kind of sites you have been visiting lately..? 
This was the first new post I read this morning and it did make me laugh!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hehe... Will be interesting to see what ads I get next.
I do need to look for something like ky jelly to lubricate my lawn mower bearings...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Erm.....I can quite confidently state that this has nothing to do with browsing history.

As a 38 year old happy hetro with her own computer I can confidently state I have never searched for Arab babes, mature honies or women that can't say no!!!

I can understand the we buy any car and tyre discounts etc as this is a motoring related website but I can guarantee this isn't anything I have searched for previously........unless 'up' has been taken differently by google

·
Registered
44 Posts
it looks like someone has been cheating on the up on my computer currently have a banner for the fiat 500 and had a panda add earlier

·
Registered
44 Posts
The ads are usually customised to what you (or another user of your computer) has been looking at. I get lots of new homes websites and clothes advertised.

Maybe SOMEone in your home IS looking at that stuff....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts