Up Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would post this before I book my wife's car into dealers...Anyone else has this problem with the clutch???... Letting clutch out just before changing up to 2nd gear the engine lurches before I get back on the gas. It isn't severe but just noticeable enough for me to wonder if there is a prob with the clutch.Any response appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Could be syncromesh on gears?? Or clutch problem I'd guess? I don't have that problem, but I noticed today that there's a strange almost knocking noise from setting off then first to second. I thought it must be as it was so cold, but this continued even after a while. Very strange, fingers crossed it doesn't happen again!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah I have a seat mii, as a driving school car, students find it really difficult to change gear front 1st to 2nd gear smoothly, I wasn't sure if they were all like this?, if you book it into the garage, let me know how you get on

·
Registered
31 Posts
If I were a VW engineer (who had my Citigo) I would program the ECU to lower the amount of time taken to slow down the engine when the clutch is depressed. i.e. I think it should slow down faster, but mainly in the lower gears. I find it very difficult to match engine & gearbox speeds at lower gears - the only way to do it reliably is to hold the clutch in for a few seconds to wait for the engine to slow down, then I can time it so that the rev counter does not "jump down" by around 500RPM when I raise the clutch pedal. The down side of this is that I lose a lot of forward momentum and can annoy other road users, so I often don't do it.

IMO this might result in either excessive gearbox wear & premature failure, or alternatively high clutch bearing wear. I know nothing about engine design though, so I could be talking ball***s.

Does anyone know a senior engineer VW HQ? (seriously...)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts