Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a Groove up! in about a week and have been wondering for some time about the removable Maps&More screen and the hassle of constantly removing it. I'm thinking I'll just leave it in place all the time, despite the invitation to thieves to break in and nab it.

Any thoughts, or better, any experience regarding theft potential?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think the hassle of removing it and putting it out of sight of potential thieves is going to be a lot less hassle than having to deal with the aftermarth of someone breaking into your car by breaking the windscreen etc and stealing items from your car and then you having to deal with a windscreen replacement company for a new window, maybe the poilce to get an incident report and finally your insurance company to pay for the repairs and replacement of your items.

So a couple of seconds to hide the M&M sounds better than a couple of weeks of dealing with that lot to me

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
If like me you find you dont use the m&m just remove the stalk and screen and replace with the cover cap and there you are no signs

·
Registered
851 Posts
My works car park - while not secure - is in a non-residential area and therefore my car is safe so i leave the M&M mounted. Although my village is reasonably safe, i take no risks and remove the M&M. It has a quick release catch so it only takes a second. If i go into town, then i not only remove the M&M (or not take it with me) but i remove the stalk too. The stalk tells a thief that you have a sat nav and there's a good chance that you've popped it in the glovebox. So they will smash the window and take a look. Nothing to lose and everything to gain from the thief's perspective.

·
Registered
112 Posts
When I first got my car I always removed the M&M, but to be honest I only do so now if I park somewhere "dodgy".

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Likewise, only remove if park in a dodgy area ( very seldom )

·
Registered
45 Posts
I always remove stalk and MM.

I also open glovebox and leave the car empty so the scum don't bother breaking in.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
glug said:
I always remove stalk and MM.

I also open glovebox and leave the car empty so the scum don't bother breaking in.

Do you leave the tail gate open as well like truckers do when staying over night in a layby!

Haha sorry

·
Registered
45 Posts
Funny you should say that.
There's been an outbreak of tailgate smashing around here.Business folk go to pubs after work, hiding laptops and bags in the tailgate so the scum tour the popular car parks, more often than not striking it lucky.I have removed the parcel shelves in my Audi and Up! to save unnecessary damage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts