Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having read of UK drivers being fined for their sat navs not having the speed camera warnings turned off, I was wondering if anyone on here knows the default position with Maps & More units?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Haha is that law that sat navs must have the speed camera do dah switched off abroad?? How can they police it?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Itzben said:
Haha is that law that sat navs must have the speed camera do dah switched off abroad?? How can they police it?
Personally, I'd police it by submitting map corrections for a speed camera that doesn't exist, and then just sit and watch for drivers to break suddenly in the middle of nowhere. Simple!
Edited by: skyhigh

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The way they police it is to target "Foriegn" usually Brits in random stops and jump in your car and go through your sat nav settings!

I'm sure they are well trained as fines are an important source of revenue for the traffic cops in Europe!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sure, but we haven't got an answer to your question, and I would be very interested to know the answer. So the M & M shows speed limits and can be set up to warn if they are being exceeded, but does it warn of speed cameras and if so, how can the warning be disabled for France? I've looked through the handbook but I can't find the answer, do any of the gurus out there know?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I travel round Europe by car on a regular basis and have done so for many years I have yet to hear of anybody being fined for the offence of having warnings on their sat nav,of course it does not mean there haven`t been any.Any form of speed limit notification is an offence in France so are radar warners etc along with cruise control operation in Belgium.

·
Registered
811 Posts
gordoac said:
Sure, but we haven't got an answer to your question, and I would be very interested to know the answer. So the M & M shows speed limits and can be set up to warn if they are being exceeded, but does it warn of speed cameras and if so, how can the warning be disabled for France? I've looked through the handbook but I can't find the answer, do any of the gurus out there know?

You can pay extra to Navicom for speed camera warnings. If you haven't done that, you'll be perfectly legal. Don't the French have some daft laws? Like carrying breathalizers for instance. Madness!

·
Registered
124 Posts
You do not have to carry breatherlizers anymore that law was repealed some months ago.If your sat nav shows speed limits most do then as stated already it is an offence to have the device switched on.French issue sat navs do not now have this feature so I am informed.

·
Registered
705 Posts
What have the Belgians got against cruise control?

Nick

·
Registered
727 Posts
collos25 said:
Any form of speed limit notification is an offence in France so are radar warners etc

A "you are approaching thenext fixed radar unit" sign.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Allybasher said:
Don't the French have some daft laws? Like carrying breathalizers for instance. Madness!

Inflatable life vests will soon be required vehicle safety equipment at all water crossings.

·
Registered
811 Posts
collos25 said:
You do not have to carry breatherlizers anymore that law was repealed some months ago.If your sat nav shows speed limits most do then as stated already it is an offence to have the device switched on.French issue sat navs do not now have this feature so I am informed.

I don't get that. How can it be illegal to know the speed limit? Will they be banning signs next? I thought our lot were bad but that's ridiculous.

Viva la revolution!

·
Registered
393 Posts
One easy way around this is not to bloody go there in the first place! There's not much there anyway.
My Garmin has had several updates in the last 6 months, and most of it was to comply with French law. I'm glad to say that hopefully I'll never have to go back there, so they won't catch me LOL

·
Registered
811 Posts
In my experience, the French have lots of rules and regulations and ignore most of them. It only seems to be us Brits who worry unduly about them. I work for a French company and the same is true for a lot of company procedures.

I've driven in France loads of times. I've never taken a breathalizer (when it was the law) or any of the other paraphinalia they try and flog on the ferry. I've also used a satnav with speed limits showing - it will be the guillotine for me!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Collas said:

Nick

That's another one of my offences then. I'd not heard that one.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Collas said:

Nick
We have a few stretches of motorway where the use of CC is forbidden.
It's nothing "global" in Belgium

This sign indicates the use of CC is forbidden :

The sign is valid until the next junction, or until you see the sign that ends the restriction :

Silly rule imposed by an equally silly transport minister who thought it'd be a good idea at the time, hoping it'd keep trucks from slamming into the tail of a traffic jam.
The ruling hasn't really helped, but it has stayed in our heavily ballasted highway code regardless.

We couldn't be bothered less about it.
How'd they ever be able to enforce it ?
I can keep my speed constant to within 1 kph, and so does the CC

·
Registered
583 Posts
collos25 said:
If your sat nav shows speed limits most do then as stated already it is an offence to have the device switched on.
Showing the posted speed limits on a SatNav is not the issue.

Warning for traffic cameras is illegal.

SatNavs are now warning for "dangerous places" on French roads, as the French authorities claim their cameras are installed at places where accidents frequently occur ...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts