Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nice shiny new iMac winging it's way to me. Ive never had a Mac before, the closest I've come is owning an iPad 2 and a iPhone 4.

Being a student, Apple have kindly given me a £70 app voucher. Does anyone have any recommendations on which apps to purchase.

I'm guessing Im going to need Pages, I was going to download this for my iPad anyway.

Advice and opinions gratefully received. Thanks x

·
Registered
705 Posts
If you've just bought an iMac, it should come bundled with iLife or iWork, which will include Pages, Numbers, Keynote and iMovie, etc. as standard. It's only when you buy the MacPros that they come with just an operating system (and no keyboard, mouse or monitor either!). See what's already installed, and then start looking around at what's available on the App Store. And it will very much depend on what you're interested in as to what you should investigate.

I use Safari, Mail,Soundtrack Pro (part of Final Cut Pro),iTunes,Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop, most of all, but that's because I like photography and sound recording. Programs such as Pages, Numbers, Word, Excel, etc get very little use by me.

And don't forget about some virus protection software. Although rare, they are out there, ready to pounce on the unwary.

Nick

·
Registered
25 Posts
Collas said:
And don't forget about some virus protection software. Although rare, they are out there, ready to pounce on the unwary.

For me it`s the best way to destroy your mac operating system...... macbook no need any antyvirus.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Sadly Apple don't give you the iWork apps, only the iLife ones. If you want Pages, Numbers and Keynote you have to buy them, and I would recommend doing do. Thats half your voucher gone! Pages on the iPad is a separate app, but with the latest operating system it lets you sync documents between your computer, iPad and iPhone, so definitely worth having. The iLife apps that come with the computer give you good basic photo and video editing facilities, and an excellent sound recorder in GarageBand. As Nick says, for the rest it depends what you're in to. For my needs the apps that come with the computer plus those I've mentioned do everything I need, although I do also use Microsoft Office for Mac because its essential for my work. You can't get it from the app store but you can get cheap as a student.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
There are some great deals on MS office for mac if you MUST go to the darkside...congrats on the mac....10 yrs ago I bought an ipod.....I was hooked...we now run 2 x macbook pros, an imac, 3x appletv's 2x ipads (1 & 3) and 4 iophones in the family, I'm about to add a macmini (as soon as apple upgrade them to ivybridge processors) only software I'd get at first is iwork package...keynote, numbers and pages....everything else comes with the mac and is flipping excellent

Once you go MAC you won't go back and if you fancy a laugh, have a look at proposed windoze 8 !

Grab a magic trackpad, way better than their poor mouse and its just so dam logical with Mountain Lion OSX

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I nearly ordered the Trackpad, but thought i would see how I got on. Maybe a trip to Currys later.

Well it turned up, it's soooo big, I nearly gave up and didn't get it out the box (I'm the only one in at tho mo). Maybe I didn't really need the 27" oops. I thought that as it wasn't that much more expensive I would get the bigger one, but boy, I really didn't think about how big it is. It's nearly as big as our tv!

Just about to turn it in. Woohoo!

Ps. Thanks for the advice. I have researched the virus protection and much like views on here, have read lots for and against! It would be new to me not having it! I'm risk averse

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hello new mac user :) I have been using them since 05, love my iMac it's a great machine to use. Your voucher will let you spend it on anything, be it iTunes or the app store. Magic mouse is well worth getting, it's very natural to use especially if you have an iPad.

I haven't bothered with AV on mine, but we do run it at work(uni) on our mac pros. Never had an issue without, but as Nick said you never know.

Enjoy :)Edited by: Supermegamonkee

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
OOOHHH a 27".........stunning machine, with an equally astounding display....have fun.....I run a wireless keyboard and magic trackpad in a henge clique

http://hengedocks.com/order_clique.php

so neat and tidy!

Edited by: Collas

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Privatedoc did you look at the magic wand? Was there a reason you chose the above instead?

Not that I expect you to reply for obvious reasons AmazonEdited by: bugbabe34

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just gone from a Lion to a Mountain Lion! New machine, geez, would it kill them in the shop to update it before you get it!

Bloody good job it's free

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
did look at magic wand but nothing like as solid/secure as the clique and you can have the clique on your knee or even pair it with other bluetooth things eg macmini I'm going to use as a media pc.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok thanks, for not much more outlay I think I will go with your recommendation

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, all good so far. Have updated to Mountain Lion, have downloads Pages and Numbers on the iMac and Pages on the ipad. Pages is going to be a great help for me, taking photos and writing up observations of the children on my iPad at work and having them sync to my Mac, have already trialled this today and it's great.

I have a few questions if someone could help please.

1 I have a Lexmark X4550 all in in one printer at home, the last driver available online is for 10.7. The printer is discontinued so I assume they will not update the driver to 10.8. Will the 10.7 driver work on Mountain Lion?

2 Can anyone recommend an antivirus program for the iMac? I know not everyone thinks its needed or a good idea, but if I am going to put one on (as I've said before I'm risk averse) I would like it to be one that has been recommended.

3. How do I save a favorite website to the desktop, launch pad or mission control? I'm not fussy

Thanks Edited by: bugbabe34

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Privatedoc I ordered both the trackpad and the clique from Amazon last night

·
Registered
525 Posts
bugbabe34 said:
Ok, all good so far. Have updated to Mountain Lion, have downloads Pages and Numbers on the iMac and Pages on the ipad. Pages is going to be a great help for me, taking photos and writing up observations of the children on my iPad at work and having them sync to my Mac, have already trialled this today and it's great.

I have a few questions if someone could help please.

1 I have a Lexmark X4550 all in in one printer at home, the last driver available online is for 10.7. The printer is discontinued so I assume they will not update the driver to 10.8. Will the 10.7 driver work on Mountain Lion?

2 Can anyone recommend an antivirus program for the iMac? I know not everyone thinks its needed or a good idea, but if I am going to put one on (as I've said before I'm risk averse) I would like it to be one that has been recommended.

3. How do I save a favorite website to the desktop, launch pad or mission control? I'm not fussy

Thanks
Interesting questions, especially the last one. Launch pad may look like the iPhone/pad home screen, but as far as I can see you can only launch apps from it, not links to websites. I bet that will come soon, but meanwhile you still have to use bookmarks or reading list in Safari. If anyone knows different I'll be interested to hear.

I know dozens of Mac users, none of whom either run an antivirus program or have ever had a virus.

I guess you just have to see if your printer works. With my old Epson scanner the Epson software no longer works but the driver does and you have to access the scanner direct from the Apple image capture app.

Not been much help, have I?! One thing you will love about your Mac, though, is Spotlight. If you haven't discovered it yet it's the little magnifying glass top right. It's often the fastest route to any app, document, photo, anything you've lost or want to find fast. I use it all the time.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
bugbabe34 said:

I'm sure you won't be disappointed.....its just so natural....hope you remembered to get the Right hand one (if you are righthanded :) )

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmmm, didn't either think about that. The pic was right handed. Off to check ......

·
Registered
22 Posts
Privatedoc said:
bugbabe34 said:

I'm sure you won't be disappointed.....its just so natural....hope you remembered to get the Right hand one (if you are righthanded :) )

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now I dont know if you are mocking the inflicted now or not? Hmmmm. No reference to right or left handed on the description, so I assume your pulling my leg!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts