Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To save any of us wasting cash. Do not buy a magnetic GB Plate as there is nowhere to the rear of the up! that it will adhere to. Anybody know of a solution as I do not like sticking labels etc. anywhere on a car. Neither do I like traders putting their advertising stickers on the windows.

But I know it is essential to show a GB plate when going abroad. I often take a trip over to Germany. IfI go later this year my up! will look great with the Rhine as a backdrop.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Get a new numberplate with the GB sign already on it - that's what I have although I'm not sure if that is sufficient?

www.demonplates.com

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had number plate on my previous car with the GB incorporated in it too. But a nice policeman told me I still needed a proper GB plate showing to the rear of my vehicle. That is whyI bought this magnetic one, thinking it would be easy to remove it for cleaning purposes.

Also some of the stick on ones seem to shrink and leave a gluey black ring around the outside of the sticker itself.

·
Registered
727 Posts
MattyUp said:
According to the AA, a GB numberplate is sufficient in the EU
That's the way I understood it as well, all EU member states do not need to have a country code sticker on the back of their vehicles when traveling through other member states. I on the other hand living in Switzerland DO need to apply one when traveling through the EU.
I too realized the magnetic CH (Switzerland) sticker that I carried around in my Lupo is now useless on the up!. I wonder if they make them with suction cups..?

Edited by: vwild1

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well I live in Poland and there are plenty of UK cars there with no additional GB sticker, as long as you have the GB on the number plate with the Euro stars I would think you ahould be fine.

I've been around Europe with my PL on the number plate only and never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I must check this with the AA or some other organisation. It is normally Germany that I travel to and that usually means going through France Belgium and Holland. If it is o.k in all of them then so be it. But knowing my luck some policeman, in a country where they normally turn a blind eye to it,will decide to have a "Bo8=*%" on, when I am passing by.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you display the Euro symbol and Great Britain (GB) national
identifier on your number plate, then you won't need a separate GB
sticker when travelling within the European Union.

Source : direct.gov.uk

Edited by: RDA

·
294 Posts
As above. All I've needed when driving through France and Spain.

I also think the number plates look better with them on!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<H3>I have just copied this from the link above and that seems to tell me that a proper GB plate is required as well as the one on the number plate. See last sentence.....</H3>
<H3>National flags and identifiers</H3>

Motorists in England, Scotland and Wales have the option to display the Union Flag, Cross of St George, Cross of St Andrew (also known as the Saltire) or Red Dragon of Wales together with one of the following identifiers: GREAT BRITAIN, Great Britain, GB, UNITED KINGDOM, United Kingdom, UK, CYMRU, Cymru, CYM, Cym, ENGLAND, England, ENG, Eng, SCOTLAND, Scotland, SCO, Sco, WALES or Wales. This must be displayedon the left hand side of the number plate. No other symbols or flags can be displayed on number plates.

The flag must be positioned above the identifier and neither must be more than 50 millimetres wide oron the number platemargin.

Motorists displaying national flags and identifiers will still be required to display the standard GB sticker when travelling in Europe.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think it's quite clear. If you have a number plate which incorporates a
national flag or identifier, then you need a separate GB sticker :

If your number plate incorporates the Euro symbol and GB national identifier, then you do not need a separate GB sticker :

Edited by: RDA

·
Registered
120 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts