Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for info really...

Just had a major service carried out, including cambelt, tensioner and water pump renewal.

£660 all in at a local VW independent. That was on a Take Up, just passed 30k miles.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Toothed belt for the water pump too? 🤔 Water pump is the other end of engine than cambelt.

Belt should be good for 240000km if it is mpi.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just for info really...

Just had a major service carried out, including cambelt, tensioner and water pump renewal.

£660 all in at a local VW independent. That was on a Take Up, just passed 30k miles.
That sounds expensive for an indie?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not needed? The car is 5 years old, sounds about right to me. I've never been one to skimp on servicing my car's.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Age does not matter with these. Especially water pump needs no attention.

Edit: But I'm not saying it's forbidden to change parts for a car if it amuse you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just chatting to a guy on a VW Up! Facebook page says he's a VW master technician and tells me timing belt needs to be changed at 210,000km or 8 years...whichever comes first?...thoughts....???
I have a 75PS 2012 VW Up! with 78,000KM on the clock- should I change it?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi there,
There's another thread on the forum (I'll attempt to go find it) about cambelt changes, in part because VW UK (and it appears to be only VW UK) insist/strongly recommend that the cambelt be changed at the 5 year mark, regardless of mileage. I think they had some issues with early belts which prompted this decision, but it's still slightly odd that only VW UK seems to think it necessary. Long story short, the official VW Germany opinion, as written in the Workshop Manual, is 'check at 240,000 km, then every 30,000 km thereafter'. Unlike other items on the list, there is no mention of age. Having said that, if it truly was the early belts that caused problems, yours might come under that category. Best recommendation I've had so far is to take it to an independent garage that you trust and have them take a look at it. If they are concerned about its condition, get it changed. Otherwise, leave it alone.

Aha - finally found the other thread:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts