Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm getting a little confused by the erratic nature of the digital fuel gauge of my Mii which I assume is identical to the Up! and Citigo.

Firstly, it doesn't drop at all until you've covered about 120 miles, then steadily falls until the final 1/4 when it rapidly falls. I've yet to notice what happens when the fuel warning goes off and when this occurs, in it's last moments do you get some kind of constant flashing or warning sound/message? I have a bad feeling I almost ran the tank dry the other day as I thought the final 1/4 (4 little bars) was a quarter tank, only to discover in the car manual that this in fact represents the final 4 litres in the tank! Can this really be the case? In most cars I've had you always get that orange/amber fuel tank symbol which then tells you that x litres remain but I'm worried that these cars are a little more subtle.

Any info to clarify this would be hugely appreciated to avoid an embarrasing situation, I've yet to run a car dry but possibly came close this time!

Edited by: Barnsey

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Not once single car I've ever owned has had a true linear fuel gauge.

I'm presuming from your post that you don't have a Maps & More in your car?

Also, you state a digital fuel gauge, which I've not seen in any up!, so I guess it must be a Mii thing only as my up! has a mechanical gauge. The orange low fuel lamp comes on when you reach the reserve level on the gauge, and an orange petrol pump symbol remains illuminated until you refuel, but again I guess that's an up!/Citigo thing since they have a traditional mechanical gauge.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Base Miis and Citigos have digital fuel gauges, but the analogue ones have the same "characteristics", barely moving when full, and dropping rapidly when 1/2 empty. I usually fill up now well before the fuel warning light comes on...
Edited by: Up!_to_Mii

·
Registered
184 Posts
This is by far and away the worst car I have had for this. My two Vauxhalls were always accurate to within a litre (Vectra and VX220).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't remember where I read it but am I right in thinking there has been a recent software update being carried out to correct the unpredictability of it? Perhaps the same update as the engine fan issue?

·
Registered
90 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
Not once single car I've ever owned has had a true linear fuel gauge.
Me either.

worst I ever had was a Saab 99 where there was no damping on the float at all, turn left - am on empty, turn right - its full again. (Great car though!)

My current daily car has an analogue gauge but also a digital computer. I like the fact that the digital computer gives up at about 35miles range and displays a warning and ***** - as if its saying its not taking responsibility for accurate measurement once its warned me.
My play car's gauge remains on full for ages, then starts issueing a warning when the needle says 1/4 full - I've never explored what happens next as I always refill.

I've always assumed that fuel gauges are innacurate due to the fact that I've assumed they use floats tied to variable resistors and the tanks not being perfectly regular , equal changes in resistance relates to different volumes in the tank.

But in this age of CadCam/3D Modelling, theres no excuse (other than cost) to "map" what each float reading means in terms of volume remaining.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I filled up when it got down to the final quarter (4 little bars) and figured out that it's 8 litres (ish) not 4 as the manual suggests? I'm not going to let it get much lower anyway from now on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts