Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone else struggle with the Nav element of M&M?

It wouldn't allow us to enter a full postcode last night or this morning when we used it for the first time, and we couldn't enter the street name, so we arrived in the 'vicinity' of our destination. And we did not find it particularly intuitive to use compared to our old TomTom.

Are we doing something wrong? At handover it was still boxed so has it missed a vital bit of pre delivery setting up?

Thanks

Derek.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
My dealer set mine up before collection and gave me a tutorial. Suggest you go back to the dealer and ask him to demonstrate it. I find it excellent especially with voice control.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If I'm honest I never use it. I actually find mounting my Iphone and using google maps to be much quicker, especially on my 5s which has 4G and near unlimited data allowance.

Most the journey's I make are quick so no need to set it up really. But if it's any help DL the latest updates from Navigon. You'll need to install a small client from their website and after that just plug it in and search for the update options. That could help a bit.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I used it today for a 170 mile journey along with Garmin's live services via my iPhone 5S. It worked a treat. Slightly different route than the one I'm used to with my TomTom but part of that was to avoid a long traffic jam.

audicab26 - is it a Garmin or Navigon M&M? My dealer tried to fob me off with an older Navigon one last week but ordered a new Garmin one when I objected.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, it's a Garmin unit.

My wife is on a course for a few days so before she set off we tried to input the post code of her hotel and the meeting venue but we could only enter part of the post code. We eventually found the hotel in POI. But she could only get to the vicinity of the meeting venue this morning which was on a road that was over 3 miles long in a town she'd never visited before. She had left herself plenty of time and even called into a VW dealer - 2 of their staff had a stab at getting the address in without success.

Sorry VW, but compared to my £99 TomTom this is not great.

My only hope is that it has missed a vital update or set up procedure that will cure it. When we collected the car the sales guy had it in a sealed box on his desk with our paperwork.

Think a visit to the dealer might be in order, maybe it's us but I can find my way around most bits of car tech.

·
Registered
325 Posts
There's not really much of a set-up procedure. My new one was boxed and I just connected it to the car and it asked whether I wanted to pair it to my particular VIN. That was it.

When I got home I downloaded Fresh from https://volkswagen.garmin.com/volkswagen/?lang=en_GBand updated it to the latest navigation software and maps. I haven't done anything else with it other than pair my iPhone so that I could try out live services.

Fortunately it has accepted the postcodes I have thrown at it so far but I haven't used it for many journeys yet so I may well find one that it doesn't accept...

Edited by: Umiamz

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I'll connect up to the computer when when she gets home (assuming she finds her way home of course
)

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
it is important to get the options/setting the way you want them...must say that after a bit of a guddle, mine works perfectly and never had any problems.....have you got the latest software and maps?

if not......easy update via your pc

·
Registered
251 Posts
The worst thing about M&M - and the reason I didn't get one - is that it's not integrated into the dash and is thus highly stealable. I knew I would never be bothered to install and uninstall it EVERY time I got in the car (which is about 10 times a day), so I just keep an old, worthless TomTom in the glovebox for the very odd occasion I actually need a satnav.

·
Registered
325 Posts
It clips very easily on and off the 'stalk'. I use it for the journey to work and back and usually leave the stalk attached to the dashboard (secure car park at work) unless I'm leaving it in a public car park where I'll remove the stalk, take the M&M with me and leave the glovebox open to show it's not in there.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Agree upman, I live rurally so no probs with leaving in car...however, I do wish the UP had a 2din radio slot so I could shove an integrated unit in , even the basic VW one would have done.....a single din slot would need too many compromises to replace the stock radio.

to be honest, I usually only use the nav when estimating 'getting home' times etc.....Its on media or car info most of the time

·
Registered
851 Posts
Umiamz said:
It clips very easily on and off the 'stalk'. I use it for the journey to work and back and usually leave the stalk attached to the dashboard (secure car park at work) unless I'm leaving it in a public car park where I'll remove the stalk, take the M&M with me and leave the glovebox open to show it's not in there.
Good idea to leave the glove box open when parked publicly. Same principal as lorry drivers leaving their trailer doors open at night.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Navigon unit is 'tied' to the car, and you can set a password to prevent the unit being used off car. I wonder if the idiots who might break in know this?
I still remember the company where I used work left the doors of the shared pool cars unlocked during certain race meetings at the local tack - but the windscreens still often got broken!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts