Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Groove Up! last September and love it. However, I have noticed as the weather has got colder that my Maps & More clearly doesn't like the cold.

I leave the unit in the car (not on show, I'm not that daft) and whenever we have a particularly cold/frosty morning the unit will not work and is just frozen (no pun intended). It doesn't reboot until it has warmed up.

Most electronic devices will work at or near freezing point, especially if they have been kept in the cold temperatures or allowed to climatise. The Maps & More should be one device that will work at extreme cold or hot temperatures.

Anyone else experience the same?

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Prob due to battery efficiency in cold...I leave mine in all the time (secure courtyard of our farmhouse) and never have a prob, even when really really scottish cold !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Belated reply - only just joined forum. We've got two Ups in the family and we've had the same problem. In one of the cars the M+M gets left in the car, but I usually take my M+M indoors, but leave the stand in the car and it still happens. Various members of the family had spent ages sitting in either car poking at the screen and swearing before we realised what the problem was.

·
Registered
325 Posts
My TomTom's the same when left in the cold. It's like me - needs to warm up a bit before it's functional :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Further to my posting and replies under "Maps & More shuts down when temp is below 0°C", I spoke to the 'SatNav Guru' at our local VW Dealership (he used to sell SatNavs at the local Car supermarket (part of a well known UK chain).
He did not seem to agree with my thinking that it's part of the car (supplied by VW) and EVERYTHING should work at 0°C (unless notified otherwise) ! His reply was that "you wouldn't leave your mobile phone in the car and expect it to work at 0°C, so why the SatNav?"

Well, I've now found on page 136 of the Navigon VW Maps + More User's Manual that the operating temperature is shown as -10°C to +70°C. So, for those of us who have expereinced a problem in cold temperatures, the answer is a clear YES, something IS wrong!

It's not just the SatNav feature I'm concerned with; it's the loss of the reversing sensor audible warning.

So .... easiest solution is to take unit with me if ambient temp is likely to go below zero. I don't hold out any hope of a solution via VW.
Edited by: PeterWestSussex

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The reversing sensor audible warning is separate from Maps and More and works independently. If you have no audible warning it's a sensor fault and nothing to do with Maps and More. Not wishing to rub salt in the wound but after scrapping the ice off the car which was left out overnight with Maps and More in place, Maps and More worked perfectly. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
29 Posts
Our maps and more (replacement item as first one kept crashing) has developed a problem this winter which may be related. Starts up fine (it is in garage) but when engine starts it thinks power is off so goes into 30 sec shut down. It then doesn't realise power is on and completes shut down unless I press cancel while reversing out of garage. Could be faulty unit or low battery but no warning and does it even when fully charged after long run. Seems to be a) too sensitive to voltage drop and then b) not sensitive enough to full voltage to cancel the shutdown.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just had the same problem. The dealership has just taken a look. I thought it might have been battery but it did start after one of the coldest days. Not really impressed !

·
Registered
29 Posts
i think it might be the satnav bat. If I disconnect it, it only runs for a few minutes. Came today in brigt sunlight in night mode. Too dark to see to adjust. Dangerous!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't use my car every day, and during a very cold spell I did notice that the M&M battery discharged completely, and it then takes a few minutes to power up with just the VW screen displayed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts