Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
VW UP GTI
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking about whether to use M&M or just not bother. Searching the forum there seems to be a lot of complaints about it. What are you guys doing for NAV, music etc ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Was thinking about whether to use M&M or just not bother. Searching the forum there seems to be a lot of complaints about it. What are you guys doing for NAV, music etc ?
I´d say, don´t bother. I personally go with Waze as it is super accurate regarding speed cameras and police spot controls. The app has an integration with Spotify, Youtube Music and others, making it a very sleek choice.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Given that the app is free (like others), I say try it and see how you get on, and if it's not what you're happy with there are plenty of choices for both off-line maps and on-line data. It's really just down to personal taste - I have a friend who changed a SatNav because the timbre of the 'voices' irritated them! Don't forget the actual M&M maps are from the same suppliers as almost all SatNav units, so it's really just down to the presentational details.

I'm OK with simple off-line maps that don't use up any mobile data allowances, so M&M now works fine for me (earlier versions did not). I haven't tried the live data features as I don't really need them (and I'm too tight to spend more than £10 per year on my mobile phone usage!).

If drive alone somewhere, I still use my old very-big-format SatNav, as it is simply easier to see than my small phone. At other times, my 'navigator' is fine with M&M on the phone, and it's also an opportunity to relay orders to the driver, in case I can't quite follow simple "Turn Left in 300yards" commands first time etc)....

If you use Spotify et al., you probably already have a big allowance for your phone contract, so that's fine. For me, I often find I'm driving around where there is patchy mobile reception, and that would really get me irritated when listening to music - that's why I prefer a big SD pre-loaded with thousands of tracks and many playlists from my collection, in the radio's SD slot. And of course, unless you have a very top-of-the-range iPhone, they usually have tiny amounts of storage; with Android you can use some very big SD cards for music - thus maybe doubling (or more) that which you may have in the radio slot already. If you just like non-specific background music, putting tracks and playlists on memory cards is of no value of course!

Reactions: macp

·
Registered
657 Posts
I drive the car so little these days and even less now with latest virus panic which i am sure will be another lockdown soon, not forgetting the bad weather conditions snow etc.

When i do drive i hardly ever have the radio on as most stations play rubbish and i prefer the sound of the engine.

Again most times i know where i am going but for the once or twice a year i need help i use my good old Tom Tom sat nav mounted in the cars phone holder and plugged into the usb socket behind the phone holder.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I know what you mean about the radio - all rubbish bar maybe R4!
But I reckon you need to play a bit of lively rock or dub to get you bouncing on your "cold" seat in order to warm it up. You'll be able to use your summer-weight long-johns! :)

·
Registered
VW UP GTI
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all will take a look at Waze. For radio it’s R6 for me. I really enjoy the diversity. Oh and my heated seats are genuinely hot too :)

VW also recommended I use the We Connect App.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I know what you mean about the radio - all rubbish bar maybe R4!
But I reckon you need to play a bit of lively rock or dub to get you bouncing on your "cold" seat in order to warm it up. You'll be able to use your summer-weight long-johns! :)

My days of bouncing are long gone!!

I do sometimes play a local Manchester reggae station which is quite good.

Now after trying the heated seats in three other UP GTIs which gave the same amount of heat as mine, i know my heated seats are working perfectly as they should, i understand they are completely useless and not worth having on for the tiny amount of heat they give out. Thank goodness the cars heater is excellent. If it was not as good as it is i would have to wear extra thick long johns or even two pairs together along with my Tartan baseball cap on back to front.

(and I'm too tight to spend more than £10 per year on my mobile phone usage!).

Wow, as much as that!! I make sure £10 lasts me for at least five years on my mobile. Any more than that and the phone zombies will be waving to me thinking i am the same as them, constantly on the phone.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Yes I know I'm a dangerous spendthrift with my £10 per annum limit. We jest, but I know people who spend £30-40 per month on their phones; probably never heard of WiFi or Skype phone calling (very cheap).

For that kind of money, a charcoal brazier kept burning under the driver's seat, 24x7 would be cheaper to run, and save on the laundry bills for the long-johns....

• Haha
Reactions: Poom

·
Registered
VW UP GTI
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now after trying the heated seats in three other UP GTIs which gave the same amount of heat as mine, i know my heated seats are working perfectly as they should, i understand they are completely useless and not worth having on for the tiny amount of heat they give out. Thank goodness the cars heater is excellent. If it was not as good as it is i would have to wear extra thick long johns or even two pairs together along with my Tartan baseball cap on back to front.
Completely off thread but as I started it that doesnt count :). But I just dont get it and I just cant agree they are useless. We had 3 stage heated seats in our 2020 Fiesta and they were good. But in the UP they are genuinely even better. Neither I or my wife can leave them on full for long and usually just switch them off.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Heated seats - candidate for one the longest running (but not heated) threads for ages?

• Haha
Reactions: Josh41090

·
Registered
e-up! 32kwh white
113 Posts
It’s adequate for a freebie but the nav doesn’t make great use of the screen if your phone has a notch, there’s a big black bar across the top of the map when navigating, and the search function is crap so I just use Apple maps. If you are navigating regularly look at another app; Waze is a privacy nightmare, TomTom costs money, Apple or Google maps work well enough most of the time for me but you’ll have to play with settings to get spoken directions with radio.
If you are just listening to 6music you won’t use the m&m audio functions. I am only slightly jealous that you get good enough DAB reception, I listen to podcasts and m&m doesn’t think they are a thing.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I'm not following the bit about M&M and podcasts; isn't a podcast just an audio file, typically MP3?

·
Registered
e-up! 32kwh white
113 Posts
Apple has split podcasts off into a separate app, when you’re using the maps and more app to select and control the audio play back it only lets you access the music in your “music”app. The head unit allows access to podcasts as a category of music.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Can you copy the podcast files to the folder used by the music app? I realize iOS tries very hard to prevent you having a proper file system!

·
Registered
e-up! 32kwh white
113 Posts
Hardly seems worth it, there’s new podcasts every day and unless I decide I exclusively wanted to use m&m to control audio I can just open the podcast app and let it work it’s way through them

·
Registered
657 Posts
Completely off thread but as I started it that doesnt count :). But I just dont get it and I just cant agree they are useless. We had 3 stage heated seats in our 2020 Fiesta and they were good. But in the UP they are genuinely even better. Neither I or my wife can leave them on full for long and usually just switch them off.

At first i thought my seats were faulty, but after testing 4 cars in total which gave the same amount of heat i know that's how they are. They cant all be faulty.

It is very cold and frosty today and my car is covered in frost, so i got the bus to the local village instead of driving. I noticed a guy walking along in shorts while i had 2 thick jumpers on and a thick jacket. I am sure that guy would say the seats are far too hot.

Some people can eat a Vindaloo curry, but others think a Korma is too spicy. We are all different, plus the fact i am an OAP and it is well known you feel the cold more with age.

The car is fantastic. I like everything about it other than the heated seats, however the cars heater is excellent.

This will be my final word on the subject. I don't want Steve to start shouting at me!!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yes I know I'm a dangerous spendthrift with my £10 per annum limit. We jest, but I know people who spend £30-40 per month on their phones; probably never heard of WiFi or Skype phone calling (very cheap).

For that kind of money, a charcoal brazier kept burning under the driver's seat, 24x7 would be cheaper to run, and save on the laundry bills for the long-johns....

Yes and these phone zombies who spend that crazy amount each month on their phones are probably the ones who will say they have to chose what to spend their money on between eating or heating.

Its true with the high price of gas and electric it now costs an extra 50 pence each time to wash my long johns, so i am going to have to cut down on washing them from every two years to every three years. Either that or purchase some short johns instead.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I know Steve. I was only saying that as a joke.
From one joker to another lol.
I like your sense of humour. Its almost as good as mine, but i did say almost.
Ahh, you got me!
But no matter what, it's hard to compete with comedy, insulated undergarments... :)
But hold on, I think The Ash has tartan ones.... :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.