Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in others' opinions on this. I just don't think it's very good.

Destination input is just hideous, very difficult to use, unintuitive, and simply lacking in detail in the countryside. I can't even get the thing to take me "home" as it won't recognise where I live and wants me to put in one of *its* known addresses rather than a point on the map. Even the horrible SatNav in my 12-year-old BMW can take me home. But "home" aside, it seems to be extremely difficult to input addresses or postcodes, apart from the lack of full postcode support it seems to latch on to bits of towns and then I can't work out how to back out and start again!

I've never got the phone book to sync, nor missed calls. It says it's done it, but then it only seems to work once and then everything is just "anonymous". Which means I have to dial from the phone and then use the handsfree -- a bit silly really. My phone is a very common (particuarly in Germany) HTC Desire.

When I use it handsfree to call, everyone complains that he background noise is terrible. Even in town stop-start, or doing 20 mph, and with the windows closed.

The updating procedure for the maps was something that one might have expected 10 years ago, but by modern standards it was dreadful. Thank goodness Garmin/Navigon actually have a support department, if not I'd have given up.

In short, the whole thing is horrible compared with the 8-or-so-year-old TomTom Go 700 I traded down from for Maps & More!

I don't think it's just me being useless. I work in IT at the end of the day, driving these electronic devices and fixing their foibles (usually!) is usually just second nature to me.

So sorry VW, but not impressed at all.

Anyone feel the same, or disagree?

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Personally I like it, its better than my old Merc Command unit (and squoodles of £ cheaper)It syncs and works faultlessly with my iPhone 5 and I love the blue trainer bit

You can set the input up to accept street/city/country how you like it and maybe its just my accent but it has no probs understanding voice input from me.

just my £0.02 worth but I think its certainly worth the money.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've not tried voice input, TBH. I don't use the navigation much -- I don't often need it, and just not liking it doesn't help on that front either. And I can't use it with the phone as it won't/doesn't sync my contacts!

The VW-specific additional car info bit is fine and easy to use, though the Blue Trainer part is a bit lost on me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think Maps and More is pretty good.

The updating was a doddle compared with the built-in satnav in my Volvo - 4 separate DVDs taking around 5 hours of driving in total for the update to complete, during which time the satnav was not available for use! That is a shockingly bad system.

For M&M, I just plugged it into the computer and it was done a short while later. It was a bit of a faff paying for the discounted update programme as I have a Mac, but once I got around that it was pretty easy.

Complaints about M&M? It's easy for the stalk to not sit correctly and you lose functionality. Plus, the touch screen could be more sensitive - it can be quite difficult to use when on the move compared with the one in my Volvo which is largely controlled from the steering wheel. But it was about 1/5th of the price of the set-up in my Volvo.

It finds addresses easily, hooks up to both my phone and my wife's phone at the same time, downloads address books, enables me to stream music from my iPhone, gives me lots of nerdy information about the car (e.g. mpg) while I'm driving. All in, pretty good.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I find it intuitive and it's a very good piece of kit.

·
Registered
198 Posts
An excellent piece of kit, so much better than the kit in my 2008 Fiesta Zetec with bluetooth.

I too have 1 person I ring where the background noise is a problem, but that only stated when I changed to my samsung SIII

I use the media most days and always use the sat nav

A bargain for what it does

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I like mine compared to my old Tom Tom. I must admit, it did take a long time to figure out though. I mostly use mine to play media from a memory card. It's nice to see the track names.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Time for a poll methinks, I'll set one up

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I am very happy with mine... Although the screen could be more responsive

·
Registered
604 Posts
I think it is a great system, although not perfect when selecting a route that has toll it asks if I want to avoid toll roads then totaly egnores what I say and takes me to the toll road.

My phone is a 4 year old android motorola and I have no problem sync to my m&m, streaming music making and reciving calls all work well.

·
Registered
462 Posts
My experience so far is mixed
When paired up girlfriends phone all worked well slight drop out in music when playing from I phone via every 10 mins or so

Bluetooth works well apart from voice dailing

Sensitivity of screen is rubbish but I have seen another post on here showing how to adjust it so will try that tomorrow

I tried to pair my phone as well and whole system through a wobbler and girlfriends phone did not work anymore so deleted mine seems to work ok

I have order a sd card and will play music from that from now on also saves running battery flat on phone

Nav seems pretty good so far

·
Registered
214 Posts
Maps and More is just okay, Tom Tom is better than Garmin/Navigon in my opinion anyway but it works well for the 32gb Micro SD and that is the bit I like. The nav is usually a bit out and it can sometimes say I am on one street and I am two streets ahead or behind. Most of my friends prefer Navigon but I think Tom Tom is still better but Tom Tom would not integrate with the car so it will have to do.

Oh I forgot to mention what someone else did and that is the screen is not responsive enough. Also Difficult to navigate and a bit behind on the maps.
Edited by: tweeter1980

·
Registered
53 Posts
You can calibrate the screen, as I had horrendous problems to start with, whenit just did not respond properly at alland almost took it back to the dealers - look in the options in the navigation screen and its there, once I did that its perfect even with my fat fingers!!
I think that M&M is great, pairs with my phone (Galaxy S3) perfectly plus copying my address book.

I have a 32GB SC Card (nowehere near full) to play lots of music and I think it makes all the difference, for me it was reason enough to get the M&M.

Sat Nav is not earth shattering but seems to be pretty good, but the voice activation is lousy and even with my best BBC broadcasting voice struggles to correctly guess what I am saying - bit pretty much every voice activated system I have used seems to never quite be right!!

The car info is brilliant and is the screen I always keep on whilst driving.

Still worth the money in my opinion!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts