Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yay! My maps + more came today...!

Just a few questions for people who have had some time with the device!

Do you have any issues with the connecting arm? I've finally managed to make it stay put, but that was with 15 min of struggling to get it to clip onto the dash correctly, and I have a feeling it'll be another struggle next time I need to reapply it... It seems the rear clip is fine, but the front two clips don't quite lock because of the rubber stoppers at the front of the base. Is there a trick to connecting the arm to the dash? I'm basically slitting it in back first then pulling forward to try lock the front clips... Should I be pressing the button at the same time etc?

Secondly, I'm very paranoid about speed limits and cameras, especially as I'm a new driver and 6 points in 2 years is me disqualified. Does the maps + more warn me about my speed and cameras (I've bought the camera pack, and have set it to warn for 5mph over speed limit) when I'm not in map mode, or do I have to activate the maps before my drive? Basically I just want to connect M+M, put some music on and forget about it until there's a change in speed limit I miss, or a speed camera!

Lastly, do you need to use your phone to control the music over Bluetooth? I had it playing fine, but couldn't seem to navigate albums... Also it stuttered every now and then!?

Cheers for the help!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had a similar problem with my M+M mount as described in this post.I found that the hooks at the front (nearest the driver) of the mount need to be pressed extremely firmly until you feel them click. After I did this, I had no further problems with the M+M connecting to the radio and speakers.

I can't help with the speed camera pack as I use a different approach by loading a third party database into the M+M as POI's.

I would advise investing in a 32GB microSD memory card and copy all your music onto this. Bluetooth connections are heavily compressed according to other forum users which results in poor sound reproduction.

I tried a bit of testing with my phone and I couldn't navigate between albums from the M+M using Bluetooth, but it seems you have to select the album on your phone then navigate between tracks on the M+M. There is a button at the bottom of the M+M screen (third from the right) which is greyed out when BT is selected as a media source. This button is lit up for the SD card media source and this allows navigation between tracks and albums.

I hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice!!

What is this trick of 3rd party databases as POI's? I didnt realise M+M was open source! Does that work well and does it warn you of cameras over audio, or do you have to be watching the screen for them?

Also, how easy are mp3s and albums to navigate over the memory card? I think I'm spoilt by capacitive touch screens, so the old school resistive touch screen in M+M can feel like a chore to use for advanced menu navigation...

Other than that, it really is a superb unit with some ace features! Im never happy with user interfaces, so I hope some updates come out in the future to streamline things a little more, and make some menu buttons a little bigger and finger friendly!!Edited by: Lovejimbo

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use the PocketGPSWorld speed camera database in CSV format and transfer it to the M+M using the Navigon Fresh application. These show up on the navigation map buy there is no audible warning. There is a critical change which needs to be made to a settings file to allow more than 1000 POI's to be loaded into the unit, but this is easy to do. The M+M is really a Navigon 70/71 under the covers so these changes are quite easy to research and implement.

There is an application called POIWarner which provides an audible warning of POI's but I haven't got as far as testing that yet.

I find the navigation pretty easy from the memory card, but wouldn't recommend it whilst driving (!). The screen is a bit fiddly to use, but I haven't yet removed the protective film whilst I try to find a suitable screen protector.

I agree that the unit is superb value form money, given all the media, navigation and phone features.
I would not hold your breath for any user interface changes anytime soon. Something may happen at model update time, but that's probably a couple of years away.

·
Registered
29 Posts
With Bluetooth there is an option buried in the M+M menu to auto play music when it connects to your phone. (providing your phone is already registered and 'trusted') So as soon as you press play on the phone it will switch to Bluetooth playback on the M+M. You can't navigate the phone but can switch tracks on screen or using the physical left & right buttons on the radio/CD player.

Playing from a microSD card is much easier and less likely to go wrong. It's true that navigation is a pain as it's an old touch screen and the fact it's a very basic media player. Better than nothing I guess! (can't think of many cars with SD card playback)

·
Registered
5 Posts
VW UP World car of the Year, How can the world car of the year run out of MAPS and More PID none are being fitted in car's that are being delivered? (so I am told)we have had the car around 10 days and are still waiting on thePID, I phoned Verve and VW and they bothsay they are on back order.
I find that not acceptable, the car has been paid for yet it came with out the PID which was one of the main items that we likedabout the car, between that and the buzzing noise which only a few owners seam concerned about is off putting and spoiling the experience of a great little car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Our maps and more came about two weeks after delivery of the car.

We're finding it connects to the iphone fine via bluetooth but it skips, it's not every song but it's a pain.

We've never had this problem with the mini sat nav bluetooth connection so I'm very disappointed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got it with my black up! and it works like a charm. (Also with my Android phone - for both, calls and music).

I really like it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Maps & More was there with the vehicle when i collected it on Saturday, I also would have been annoyed if it wasn't and i had to wait any length of time for it to arrive and can understand the frustration of those who are having to wait, not the best new ownership experience.
Also finding that when playing music through the bluetooth, it occassionally drops, only for a second or two, but still annoying, i ordered a 3.5 jack plug which arrived today, it appears to work ok connected to the auxiliary socketin the brief test i have done and so far without any sound dropouts.

However it does have the cable hanging down from the radio to the i-Phone and another from the i-Phone to the charger in the cigar lighter, its not the prettiest or most visually pleasing scenarios, but i suppose we have to remember that the up! is priced to reflect these lack of details, all satnav and wiring for the interfaces are nicely tucked away in our Polo Gti but having paid a premium price thats what iexpected, and overall the up is still delightful.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Deek said:
VW UP World car of the Year, How can the world car of the year run out of MAPS and More PID none are being fitted in car's that are being delivered? (so I am told) we have had the car around 10 days and are still waiting on the PID, I phoned Verve and VW and they both say they are on back order.
I find that not acceptable, the car has been paid for yet it came with out the PID which was one of the main items that we liked about the car, between that and the buzzing noise which only a few owners seam concerned about is off putting and spoiling the experience of a great little car.
Hey Deek, don't worry too much about the buzzing and scratching from the engine/gearbox! I'm past 700 miles now and the buzzing has totally worked it's way out of the engine!!

I was quite concerned at first, but it's all good now! Must be the tight parts in the fresh engine just settling in and smoothing down the rough surfaces!

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
yeah me too, i think the miniSD for the music is the key, use my iphone as back up and only connect via bluetooth for phone calls.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Better buy a micro SD if you are about to insert it in the Maps + More unit. ;-)
(I've bought an 8 GB card, big enough for all of the MP3s I want to listen in my Blacky - for only 6 ‚¬.)

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
yeah, sorry i meant micro not mini! lol. you can tell ive been working for 12 days solid without a day off when i start making stupid typos!

out of interest, how many songs have you managed to put on the 8GB card?

my current radio in my polo had an SD card in it, got quite alot of music on it but cant remember how big it is, need to go look... however i shall be swapping that radio into my dads car so instead of my music im going to be a nice daughter and put all his and my mums CDs onto the SD card for them!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have 1082 songs on the card what sums up to cca. 4.5 GB. So 8 GB would be enough for approximately 2000 songs (in MP4 format).

I see you are about to be really nice! Cool! :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just wondering if the drop outs are being caused by a certain phone rather than the maps and more unit?

I know bluetooth is supposed to be a standard but I had loads of issues after I upgraded the iOS version on my iphone with my current car.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts