Up Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped a 4GB SD card into my Maps & More the other day and came across a shocking bit of UI design.

The track skip & pause buttons are large and easily 'jabbable' which is great, but I listen to a lot of mixes that have no tracks, just a 45-80 minute MP3 so being able to scroll through the track is a big plus.

I was delighted to find that the Maps & More allowed this, delight that quickly turned to frustration when I realised how poorly it has been implemented.

The track position bar which can be dragged forward or backwards through the track is above the skip/pause buttons, but it only a few pixels high and, crucially, is only a few pixels away from the skip buttons.An unintended press on one of those and the track jumps forwards or backwards to the next in the folder!

With the screen space available and when you consider the "2ft UI" that these things should conform to this is inexcusable.

As implemented, it's basically no better than not having the feature at all as actually using it in practice is an exercise in futility. I only managed to scroll the track about once in every 4 attempts.

I wonder if they ever actually tested this in real life, on the road, at 50 mph?

I've not updated the software in my unit, has anyone done this and noticed a change in the controls for CD/SD playback? (I know this is a long shot!)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Yea, that bit doesn't change. It's not the best written program going.
I can see your frustration, it's not an issue I've had myself, but now you've mentioned it, I'm going to want to try it, and I'll wind up disappointed that it's crap! Haha

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For anyone wondering what I'm blabbering on about, here's a pic.

The green section shows the touch zone for track back/pause/forward, the red section which should allow scrolling within the track.

Rubbish.

Also, 1996 called, they want their Unicode support back!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Have to admit I didn't even know that was an available function.

Think I've just been holding down on the arrow forward or backward. Doesn't that take you through the track at speed?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ecksile said:
Have to admit I didn't even know that was an available function.

Think I've just been holding down on the arrow forward or backward. Doesn't that take you through the track at speed?

Yes, but's it's only something like 8x speed, so to forward 10 minutes of track time means you've got to hold down the button for over a minute.

The hardware buttons on the head unit work for this though so it's not as if you have to use the touchscreen for this, but still.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts