Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fell in love with a up on Sunday before Xmas have only done 300 mile in it after two weeks I gave it the once over shock horror to find rust spots in it all over am I the only one ?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
O eck!! Where abouts all over do you mean? I mean all over the whole car or just the front end or bonnet? My neighbour was following a skip wagon on the motorway in heavy rain and when he got hone he saw the whole of his front end was chipped, so bad needed a respray! Maybe you have had the same mishap or a gritter may of been to close to you and chipped the paint : (

My dad also scrapped the side of the van, only take the paint off but within 2/3 days it was rusty we sanded the area and treated the rust and re painted with zinc 90 galvanised paint and now waiting for the garage to get us a final colour spray

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ours is the same, polished it 3times and still see the odd spot come back. Open your boot and look where the hinges are.... It looks like its welding spits from manufacturing, I've informed vw just in case it gets worse or causes further problems. It's not the panel rusting, more like rust on the paint.

·
Registered
432 Posts
@Smartie, are you parking near a railway line? Sometimes small bits of iron from the train wheels/brakes or the tracks waft about and settle on cars, then get rained on and turn into little rust spots. There is a product you can buy to polish them off (someone on here will know the name).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was on the car when I took it off the forecourt returned to the dealer & they are willing to polish it out but if it is in my paintwork will my car be a rust bucket in 5 years time on the dealers forecourt they all had rust marks so if you buy a wight up just give it a good look over

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They polished again but it's still there I am now going to put dots on the marks & they are going to have another go ! As this was a new car should I put up with this someone help me

·
Registered
235 Posts
Does sound like contamination of some sort. Perhaps it got covered with something whilst at the dealer (or on its way to them)?

If you are still unhappy you could ask for VW to inspect and report on the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If it is rust and keeps returning, you should be able to push it back on paintwork/ body work protection, vw website says 3yrs I think. Might be worth making sure it goes off to the vw body shop rather than the smart repair polish man out the back...

This should maintain your warranty and minimise risk of polished vs dull patches....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts