Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all hello to everyone this is my first post.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Myself and wife are going to down size from a VW Golf GTI to a Up or A1.
Reckon between fuel, car payments and Insurance we can save a tidy sum a month leaving extra for our enjoyment.
The GTI is a fantastic car but do we need it ? Not really.
So my good wife will test drive the UP! And the A1. My wife just loves the UP like some kind of puppy dog. I don't have a preference as both the UP and A1 seem sensible. I'm 6'2 and although I'm not vain feel I will get some strange looks at such a tall person getting out of an UP ! Don't you think ?
Anyway I got to choose the GTI so the good lady can choose between the UP and A1. If it's the UP it will be the white model loaded up. Is the 75ps engine loud on the motorway ? Also do you really need to change down gears to climb inclines ?
Would love to see on the options adaptive xenon lights for the UP they really are a fantastic safety option for night driving.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Morning and welcome

I can't comment on the comparison with the A1

But I would say:

The seats are adjustable, I'm sure other taller guys have posted on here and will comment. I'm 5ft 9.
The road noise is completely dependent on what you already drive. I drove a Lupo diesel so no, it's not noisy, you on the other hand would find it noisier
And yes you do have to change gears going up big hills. It's only a small engine.

But it's fun. I also drive a NB and the up! feels like a much bigger car inside than it actually is. Bet your wife picks the up! Especially going from a Golf.
Edited by: bugbabe34

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that Bugbabe34 I also have a feeling my wife will choose the UP.The VW garage we use could not be better. On the other hand we had an Audi before and the local delearship was shocking.

Wife phoned the VW garage and said of a test drive - when is best for you.

She has phoned theAudi garage three times to be told a sales man will call back. Still waiting, bad service.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sorry about that i pressed the wrong button.<div sab="1664">I agree with the previous comments but i cant comment on the A1 but i am sure it is a very good car,I believe it is a Polo under the skin so it is a class above the up!or should be.I drive a Scirocco Tsibut since we have had the up! i have hardly used it. The up! is a great little car but you do need to use the gearbox but that is no hardship but watch reverse if you are coming from a 6 speed golf.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Can't comment on the A1 but I do love my up! and there's loads of space inside, even for tall rear seat passengers.

Looking forward to hearing which one your wife decides on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
compared back to back the cars are in different leagues. the up! is cheap car and the A1 s a little luxury car.

If you choose the up! do your self a favour and test drive the "small" engine. there is no different between the two engines before you reach 5000rpm. and in my experience you almost never do.

·
Registered
134 Posts
We're downsizing from our faithful Golf TDI 110 after 12 years and 152k miles, test drove a Polo, A1 and Up! and decided the Up! was the sensible choice. No regrets at all now that we've had time to ponder our decision. Our Up! black should be ready with the new 62 reg on the 1st September.

By the way, not quite an Up! but almost - drove Skoda Citigo 60bhp (!) up the Goodwood hill at the FoS on Thursday, even with 3 passengers it was still great fun, quiet and refined!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi Captain,

I have an Up! And I'm 6' 2" tall. I have no problem with finding a comfortable position as there is loads of adjustability with the wheel, the seat both for height and distance from the wheel.

I don't feel any bad vibes as a tall person getting out of a small car.... I have experienced people staring in appreciation of a great new car model with interest in what it is. If there is any laughing to be done, it's me, thinking how much money I'm saving by not giving it all to the government!

It's also great on the motorway, highly geared for low consumption, a,so keeps the noise/ revs good at motorway speeds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts