Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone who is running the above tyres on their GTI please advise the best front and rear pressures for good ride quality?

Thanks!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Your far better off visiting your local tyre centre, than asking for differing opinions on the correct tyre pressures for your tyres.
What kind of driving do you do ?, do you regularly carry several passenger ?

There are two many different alternatives, and a car carrying more or less weight, may need a higher or lower tyre pressure accordingly.

My idea of a comfortable quality ride, may be entirely different your own, and experimenting with tyre pressures is not always a great idea.

Your far better off asking the advice of a qualified tyre fitter, as anyone on this forum can offer advice, but is it the correct advice being given

·
Registered
147 Posts
Tyre fitters normally know how to fit tyres ( some don't mind), but they normally haven't got a clue regards tyre pressures, if they did, then why the f**k do they always try & put 60 psi in everything.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Your far better off visiting your local tyre centre, than asking for differing opinions on the correct tyre pressures for your tyres.

There are two many different alternatives, and a car carrying more or less weight, may need a higher or lower tyre pressure accordingly.

My idea of a comfortable quality ride, may be entirely different your own, and experimenting with tyre pressures is not always a great idea.

Your far better off asking the advice of a qualified tyre fitter, as anyone on this forum can offer advice, but is it the correct advice being given
You're killing this forum.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I run 30 front 28 rear someone else's recommendation on here..

Running 205/40/17 Dunlop RT2's decent ride,excellent handling and no uneven wear to report 👍

·
Registered
241 Posts

You've driven 150 miles in 5 months, you have nothing helpful to say here, but still spin it out to 6 paragraphs, I (we) have had enough. Endless repetition and low value waffle. This is my opinion

·
Registered
612 Posts
Your getting too personal, why should my low mileage interest you, in none of your business, and thats meant in a friendly way, and not to be taken personally.
If i choose to keep my car off the road during the winter, then thats my choice, not yours.

Back to the topic.
A 205 section tyre is a non standard fitment for the UP Gti, so personally i would seek the advice of professional tyre fitters, and not listen to differing opinions, some which may be very accurate, whilst others may be totally inaccurate.

Pressures for 195 tyres and below, are a known quantity for the Vw Up, but not a 205 tyre.

·
Registered
523 Posts
How is seeking the advice of professionals, regarding the correct pressure of a non standard tyre, killing the forum.
I really do not want to get too involved in this, BUT tyre fitters are not professionals in any way, shape or form. I view them as a necessary evil that have to be navigated when getting tyres fitted.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Thats certainly true, but they are in the posesion of all the relevant material, on which tyre is best for fuel economy, performance etc., and possibly the recommended tyre pressures for each individual car and owner.
The 205/40/17 tyre is a non standard fitment for the Up, so tyre pressures may or maynot be the same for the 195 tyre.
Before i start experimenting with different tyre pressures, i want to know the ones i am using are safe.

We all know what a tyre with the incorrect tyre pressure feels like, and its surprising how different a car feels and responds with incorrect inflated tyres.
Their the only thing holding us onto the road surface, so guessing on tyre pressures, NO THANKS

This is why i would first ask someone in National Tyres, they fill me with more confidence than most on this forum

·
Registered
199 Posts
I reckon you would ask a straight laced doctor how to have sex rather than listen to your mates who have actually done it a thousand times...

·
Registered
199 Posts
It's the same literally every thread it's becoming so boring...

Anyway back on topic I've had this size tyre from day one and the highest I've run is 32 front 30 rear but actually prefer 30 front 28 rear. The way the car goes around corners is excellent and far better than it has any right to be for the price

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thats certainly true, but they are in the posesion of all the relevant material, on which tyre is best for fuel economy, performance etc., and possibly the recommended tyre pressures for each individual car and owner.
The 205/40/17 tyre is a non standard fitment for the Up, so tyre pressures may or maynot be the same for the 195 tyre.
Before i start experimenting with different tyre pressures, i want to know the ones i am using are safe.

We all know what a tyre with the incorrect tyre pressure feels like, and its surprising how different a car feels and responds with incorrect inflated tyres.
Their the only thing holding us onto the road surface, so guessing on tyre pressures, NO THANKS

This is why i would first ask someone in National Tyres, they fill me with more confidence than most on this forum
You've just told someone to see a tyre fitter regards tyre pressures, then you agree with a comment regards them not being professional.

He's hardly jumping from a 17 inch wheel to a 25 inch wheel with a 30 profile on a 3 tonne SUV🙄.

Give Michelin a shout if you need some advice. Not a f**king tyre fitter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'll be having these tyres fitted on Thursday, so thanks Spook for the thread and thanks for the first-hand experience above, Mark Cup. I'll post how I find them to drive and also what pressure they come from the garage with when I pick it up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's the same literally every thread it's becoming so boring...

Anyway back on topic I've had this size tyre from day one and the highest I've run is 32 front 30 rear but actually prefer 30 front 28 rear. The way the car goes around corners is excellent and far better than it has any right to be for the price
It is boring, but it's also the same people that keep calling him out on it which unfortunately and needlessly escalates the situation.

End of the day it's a forum and he is as entitled to his own opinion as anyone else.

None of us know if anyone else they are talking has difficulty expressing themselves, English as secondary language, learning difficulties etc. so sniping with personal comments (not you but someone else earlier) is a bit unfair.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Just let Llandudno Boy get on with it, hopefuly no-one takes any notice any more. He has proved many times that he has no mechanical exprience to speak of, and I agree with others on here that he shouldn't give this advice when there are people asking for real answers to their problems. To get "advice" from him and take notice of it could result in a negative result for the guy asking for help.
I have 48 years competition experience, and have experimented over that time with tyre pressures, and lots of other areas, because when I have had uncompetitive cars I've had to optimise everything on my shoestring funded and built race & rally cars to give me an edge and stay in the pack, either in my class or overall.
I KNOW when a car feels right with a certain tyre pressure on a particular car.
I run my Gti tyres at around 30 & 28 because I experimented with them. The ridiculous pressures recommended by VW for the car are crackers. Dropping the pressures is an old old trick to get the tyre to work marginally harder, get a bit warmer, and thus grip a tad more, and it certainly helps the ride.
This is why I have said on here that before chucking away these Goodyears, try them at a lower pressure and they're much better.
I know they're a mile away from being the best out there, but for the average relatively spirited driving Joe, I find them fine when used at the lower pressures.
I keep an eye on the wear rate, and have found absoloutely no detriment to wear patterns or weird shouilder wear either. I also did the same with my last 75bhp High Up which wore a set of the Polygon VW 17" alloys, with the Dunlops fitted. They showed no issues and were still good after 25000 miles.
I personally wouldn't trust 95% of any tyre fitters that I've ever come across to advise on tyre pressures, they're neither interested or care, in any case, there are far too many cars / models & variables for any of that advice that may come to you to be meaningful. Almost every time I take my road cars in for servicing, (to a main dealer), they come back with 40psi plus in them , because the young lad or lass that they put on the job can't determine between 30psi and 3.0 bar on the gauge ........
Rant over.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts